Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's your contribution to save the planet?
Ride a bike 6 17.65%
Vegetarianism 2 5.88%
Happy Consumer 23 67.65%
Unhappy Consumer 5 14.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 02:59 PM

663 posts, read 503,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookb4youcross View Post
Get solar panels too. That way your half green, but think of the energy and emissions used to make those panels.
Think of what kind of pollution you're also causing on your bicycle impeding traffic going 5 mph.
OK, let's drop the solar panels for the sake of simplicity, but the same applies to the electric cars. The main difference is electric cars take 100 times the raw materials that go into a bicycle and it costs 20 times more. And when I run out of juice I keep pedaling. No waiting at a charging station. I'll be home by the time your EV is fully charged.

As for speed, who says I'll slow down a multilane road? You can pass on the other lanes, and I become one fewer car. I would have been another car clogging the road and instead you have less clogged roads. You'll have people instead of another anonymous car. Do you see people in America? Don't you like people?

But if you are that committed to the rat race I'm OK with you banning bicycles. What am not OK with is that you give me something where I'm exposed to be every possible danger, and every possible interpretation. You give me a piece "no man's land" and then tell me, "You ride if you dare, monkey!"

And then more often than not, I find myself fighting people with whom I want no interaction whatsoever. They blow the horn to mean this or that. But that's not a language I understand.

The solution is to give the inner to lane LSVs, which means low speed vehicles such as bicycles, scooters, and NEVs, which can go as fast as 20 mph.

http://www.blogcdn.com/green.autoblo...11/gem-car.jpg

That's cute, that's friendly, that's open, that's cheap. Cars may use the slow lane when it's not taken, so not much slowing down. If something is slowing down traffic in America is the idiotic practice of not enforcing passing lanes. You find two, three cars blocking the road for everybody, and nothing you can do. Actually that's the biggest source of road rage. Oh sorry, that's something of a non issue. Everybody is happy driving their cars.

I wished I could give a better rating, but our roads are chaotic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 03:26 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Bike riders in cities are a menace.

I was making a right turn in the right turn lane, properly signaling when a bike rider came up my right side forcing me to slam on my brakes to avoid squashing him with my F-350 diesel. And he had the audacity to claim I tried to kill him. I got out of my truck when he realized he might have an ass-whooping coming his way and he pedaled furiously away.

Hopefully he had to buy some new tights after soiling his.

Old 05-25-2014, 04:04 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise TibetanMonkey View Post
OK, let's drop the solar panels for the sake of simplicity, but the same applies to the electric cars. The main difference is electric cars take 100 times the raw materials that go into a bicycle and it costs 20 times more. And when I run out of juice I keep pedaling. No waiting at a charging station. I'll be home by the time your EV is fully charged.

As for speed, who says I'll slow down a multilane road? You can pass on the other lanes, and I become one fewer car. I would have been another car clogging the road and instead you have less clogged roads. You'll have people instead of another anonymous car. Do you see people in America? Don't you like people?

But if you are that committed to the rat race I'm OK with you banning bicycles. What am not OK with is that you give me something where I'm exposed to be every possible danger, and every possible interpretation. You give me a piece "no man's land" and then tell me, "You ride if you dare, monkey!"

And then more often than not, I find myself fighting people with whom I want no interaction whatsoever. They blow the horn to mean this or that. But that's not a language I understand.

The solution is to give the inner to lane LSVs, which means low speed vehicles such as bicycles, scooters, and NEVs, which can go as fast as 20 mph.

http://www.blogcdn.com/green.autoblo...11/gem-car.jpg

That's cute, that's friendly, that's open, that's cheap. Cars may use the slow lane when it's not taken, so not much slowing down. If something is slowing down traffic in America is the idiotic practice of not enforcing passing lanes. You find two, three cars blocking the road for everybody, and nothing you can do. Actually that's the biggest source of road rage. Oh sorry, that's something of a non issue. Everybody is happy driving their cars.

I wished I could give a better rating, but our roads are chaotic.
Again tell me how I take my three children to school on my bike?????

Old 05-25-2014, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Again tell me how I take my three children to school on my bike?????
Take them in your gas guzzling, smoke belching behemoth of an SUV. Let the warmers try to save the planet by living in caves.

Old 05-25-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Take them in your gas guzzling, smoke belching behemoth of an SUV. Let the warmers try to save the planet by living in caves.
Yep...........lol

Old 05-25-2014, 04:12 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
No sir they want tax them. Do you not remember Al Gore??
Your favorite scape goat, Al Gore has nothing to do with this.....So because of taxing carbon emissions you deny AGW...Is that the only reason, because carbon tax, if is applied as it is in my province does reduce emissions, does not harm the economy, and 100% of that tax is returned to the people by reducing their income taxes....You must have some other reason, unless you just unthinkingly believe what the big energy companies and the GOP tell you....

Between July 1, 2008, and July 1, 2012, the greenhouse gas emissions in B.C. fell 17.4 per cent, while they rose in the rest of the country by 1.5 per cent over the period, the report found. At the same time, B.C.s economy slightly outperformed the rest of the country. We can have a cleaner environment without hurting the economy if we have smart policies. Taxing pollution and lowering taxes on income is the best way to build an economy that is greener and stronger. B.C. carbon tax showing positive results - The Globe and Mail

Old 05-25-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Your favorite scape goat, Al Gore has nothing to do with this.....So because of taxing carbon emissions you deny AGW...Is that the only reason, because carbon tax, if is applied as it is in my province does reduce emissions, does not harm the economy, and 100% of that tax is returned to the people by reducing their income taxes....You must have some other reason, unless you just unthinkingly believe what the big energy companies and the GOP tell you....

Between July 1, 2008, and July 1, 2012, the greenhouse gas emissions in B.C. fell 17.4 per cent, while they rose in the rest of the country by 1.5 per cent over the period, the report found. At the same time, B.C.s economy slightly outperformed the rest of the country. We can have a cleaner environment without hurting the economy if we have smart policies. Taxing pollution and lowering taxes on income is the best way to build an economy that is greener and stronger. B.C. carbon tax showing positive results - The Globe and Mail
By all means, tax yourselves.

Meanwhile China more than makes up what you didn't emit.

Senseless.

Old 05-25-2014, 04:17 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
If it's too late then why do you keep harping on about it?
Because my opinion may be wrong, and I dislike people spreading harmful dishonest propaganda.

Old 05-25-2014, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
By all means, tax yourselves.

Meanwhile China more than makes up what you didn't emit.

Senseless.
Exactly............these nuts never complain about China for some reason. Canadians love to try and tell us what to do. Go milk trees I say.

Old 05-25-2014, 04:33 PM

663 posts, read 503,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Bikes are for losers.
That's a perception in America, yes.

Big SUVs are for winners, that's another perception.

That's not the opinion in Japan or Europe though. They must be losers too.

Pedestrians --particularly older people-- are even more losers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies