Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 01:05 PM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Some did, but not because of the Civil Rights Act.

Racist Democrats remained in their natural home, the Democratic Party.
Then how did the South switch from Democrat to Republican soon at the end of the 1960s?

And furthermore, consider what Republican strategist Kevin Phillips said. He basically said he didn't see a place for Blacks in the Republican Party. And this was in the late 1960s.

Old 06-21-2014, 03:48 PM

15,638 posts, read 10,393,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
And furthermore, consider what Republican strategist Kevin Phillips said. He basically said he didn't see a place for Blacks in the Republican Party. And this was in the late 1960s.
Some Blacks find a home in the republican party because they are successful. The rest are still on the plantation, so to speak. Who cares about the inconsequential black vote, seriously? I'm not being mean, just honest. The majority black vote is locked in to the democratic party and will never change until, until, until they no longer view themselves as victims. Not hopeful for that realization in my lifetime as there are many who perpetuate that myth of black victimhood and find comfort in the paternalistic rhetoric, in my opinion, of the democratic party.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 06-21-2014 at 04:45 PM..

Old 06-21-2014, 04:15 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Some Blacks find a home in the republican party because they are successful. The rest are still on the plantation, so to speak. Who cares about the black vote, seriously? I'm not being mean, just honest. The majority black vote is locked in to the democratic party and will never change until, until, until they no longer view themselves as victims. Not hopeful for that realization in my lifetime as there are many who perpetuate that myth of victimhood and lap up the racist rhetoric, in my opinion, of the democratic party.
I agree with that.....if they are successful.....and have money.....in most cases they will want to keep it.....that means voting Republican.

Old 06-22-2014, 08:01 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
It's not on me. My kids are in one of the best school districts in America. And from living in a blue state with a red governor, I simply do not believe that there is anything the Republicans can offer that can really make a dent of substantial positive impact on the schools in the inner city or predominantly minority areas. Vouchers, for reasons we have explored here ad nauseum, are not the answer or an answer.
I actually agree with this mostly. I do think Republican influence in the public education sphere could prove helpful if nothing else they'd get rid of some of the nonsensical education philosophies. For example the disciplinary disparity nonsense pushed by Holder which would make schools even less safer.

Old 06-22-2014, 08:50 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I simply do not believe that there is anything the Republicans can offer that can really make a dent of substantial positive impact on the schools in the inner city or predominantly minority areas. Vouchers, for reasons we have explored here ad nauseum, are not the answer or an answer.
You are VERY mistaken.
Quote:
"...even after you control for SES [socioeconomic status], Catholic schools run by holy orders (not those overseen by the local bishop) turned out to perform better than other schools studied. True, as the study says, there are only a small number of religious-order schools. But the data suggests that the type of school a kid attends does affect how well he will do — and that we could learn something from how holy orders run their schools."
Are Private Schools Really Better? - TIME

Furthermore, it is extremely self-centered and arrogant of you to think that you know better than the 2/3 of Black adults who support school vouchers.

Old 06-22-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Some Blacks find a home in the republican party because they are successful. The rest are still on the plantation, so to speak. Who cares about the inconsequential black vote, seriously? I'm not being mean, just honest. The majority black vote is locked in to the democratic party and will never change until, until, until they no longer view themselves as victims. Not hopeful for that realization in my lifetime as there are many who perpetuate that myth of black victimhood and find comfort in the paternalistic rhetoric, in my opinion, of the democratic party.
Well, consider this. The top 10 richest Black people in the USA are all liberal Democrats. What does that say?

And 2, you comparing Blacks voting Democrat to being on a plantation is disingenuous, and quite degrading to say the least. It is like you are saying "Blacks aren't smart enough to make their own decision". That is a typical talking point used to talk down on Black people. If Republicans want Black votes, then they can start by not talking down on Blacks. They can start by stopping with the "plantation" talking point. In fact, I've offered solutions before. I've said that if Republicans want more Blacks to vote for them, they can start by trying to find a common ground. How come no one is interested in that?

You cannot compared being on a plantation to voting Democrat. Blacks can choose who they vote for. Blacks of the slave era didn't have any choices. Maybe the question should be "Why is there is a large amount of distrust for Republicans among African-Americans, whether they are poor or successful"?

And I notice something else. You have avoided talking about Kevin Phillips and what he said about Blacks and the Republican Party. That tells me you are disregarding what he said.

Old 06-22-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I actually agree with this mostly. I do think Republican influence in the public education sphere could prove helpful if nothing else they'd get rid of some of the nonsensical education philosophies. For example the disciplinary disparity nonsense pushed by Holder which would make schools even less safer.
But this is the thing. And I have to ask this. I know many Black people, who are successful, who are middle class, who don't trust the Republican Party at all. If there are those who want Blacks to vote Republican

1) What do they plan to do about it?
2) Why do they care so badly?
3) What are the reasons many Blacks, even Blacks who are successful, typically avoid the Republican Party?

Old 06-22-2014, 12:58 PM

15,638 posts, read 10,393,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, consider this. The top 10 richest Black people in the USA are all liberal Democrats. What does that say?.
If you remove the 7 entertainment personalities/ athletes and a rich ex-wife, that leaves Johnson and Peebles, exactly 2 self-made, wealthy, business people in the top 10 richest African Americans in the US. And neither are liberals, although both are Democrats, at least they supported a democratic candidate for president. One Hillary and one Obama. Both Johnson and Peebles have publicly criticized Obama's class warfare, tax the rich rhetoric severely.

I never heard of Kevin Phillips, gm. Don't know him or what he said.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 06-22-2014 at 01:11 PM..

Old 06-22-2014, 04:18 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
One wonders why the OP ([SIZE=5]Opin_Yunated[/SIZE] ) has failed to return to this thread despite direct replies to his posts/questions/observations

Old 06-22-2014, 06:22 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You are VERY mistaken. Are Private Schools Really Better? - TIME

Furthermore, it is extremely self-centered and arrogant of you to think that you know better than the 2/3 of Black adults who support school vouchers.
I'm a Black adult. Vouchers don't even enter my conversations or those of anyone I know. Who are these 2/3 of Blacks? I'd bet you personally don't know a single one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies