Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 08:26 AM

62,968 posts, read 29,152,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
OK, I was born early 70's and now have small children of my own, but what's up with these graduation celebrations for everything from kindergarten on up? I don't remember this being the case when I was a kid.

Is this the whole "every kid gets a trophy" thing and celebrating such small achievements that our kids expect a celebration every time they do what they're supposed to do anyway?

I mean, realistically, you actually have to really try to not even graduate from high school. It aint tough.
I agree. It's ridiculous. Graduation should be for high school and college only. It wasn't that way when I was a kid either. Kids are so pampered nowadays. Do they really require constant pats on the back for as you said doing but what they are supposed to do anyway?

Last edited by Oldglory; 06-03-2014 at 08:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 08:43 AM

4,490 posts, read 4,984,317 times
Ever think it's not about the Parents, and it's all about the kid?
Geez lighten up everyone.
It's an innocent period for children (Prek-k). Why muck it up with all this bahumbug
Negativity. So keep your kid and yourself home when this rolls around.
It's all about you remember???

Ever think the end of the year graduations are about appreciating, thanking, and supporting the teachers who spend more time with your kid than you?
Ever think somehow your kid will have a tiny happy memory of this in their brain space for years to come?

Do you think teachers enjoy spending time coming up with those pre k end of the year spiels? Some feel exactly like this thread, but it's done for support of the children, teachers, and parents.
it's not about getting a piece of paper, trophy, keepsake.

One really doesn't know if EVERY kid gets pampered, "patted on the back for every thing"
Or even recognized and supported by their parents.
Lighten up it's only a few hours out of your precious life to spend with your hopefully precious offspring.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:04 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,040,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
It's an innocent period for children (Prek-k). Why muck it up with all this bahumbug

Ever think the end of the year graduations are about appreciating, thanking, and supporting the teachers who spend more time with your kid than you?
Ever think somehow your kid will have a tiny happy memory of this in their brain space for years to come?

Do you think teachers enjoy spending time coming up with those pre k end of the year spiels? Some feel exactly like this thread, but it's done for support of the children, teachers, and parents.

One really doesn't know if EVERY kid gets pampered, "patted on the back for every thing"
Lighten up it's only a few hours out of your precious life to spend with your hopefully precious offspring.

OK, Ms. Teacher, we see you support this.

But, guess what.....The kids don't care. Unless there's cake, ice cream and gifts, they could care less.

All I'm saying this that our kids get conditioned to being rewarded and they start expecting rewards and praise for doing things that aren't really praiseworthy.
Then, when school, life, etc, get a little tougher and they don't have someone constantly telling them how great and special they are, they have trouble emotionally dealing with these situations.

Old 06-03-2014, 01:12 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,984,317 times
They don't start expecting unless they are taught at home to expect these things.
Conditioning also starts at home not just at school. I know it's easier to blame the schools.

So like I and another posted earlier, stay home. Don't subject yourself and kid to this gawd awful condition.

And guess what else? Some families do care.
Yeah like a child's whole worth in life is based on whether or not they attend pre k graduation. Couldn't be what a parent puts into the child is it?

This is some heavy stuff right here.

Old 06-03-2014, 01:49 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,753,297 times
how about this. you have a ceremony every time you switch buildings. where i grew up, we had k-6, 7-8, and then high school. I can see a little "ceremony" when you are leaving those schools to go to another one. mainly because many of those students went on to different schools. but I don't think you should give some brat a cupcake and a parade because they finished 3rd grade.

Old 06-03-2014, 02:03 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
how about this. you have a ceremony every time you switch buildings. where i grew up, we had k-6, 7-8, and then high school. I can see a little "ceremony" when you are leaving those schools to go to another one. mainly because many of those students went on to different schools. but I don't think you should give some brat a cupcake and a parade because they finished 3rd grade.
Some brat?

Charming.

Old 06-03-2014, 02:09 PM

260 posts, read 195,340 times
It seems Bread & Circuses are so needed at any possible opportunity these days, at whatever age to start the happy train choo-chooing along to Idiotville.

These kids these days may have all these internet opportunities to be informed but they aren't very smart nor are they very reflective even though they are utterly self-absorbed.

There should be parties at the end of every semester too. Why limit it to the end of a grade level? Maybe one after every quiz, if there are any any more.

Old 06-03-2014, 03:17 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
The minimum objective of kindergarten : a child should be able to get along with others in a social setting.
That statement is unequivocal proof that you have absolutely no idea what is expected of kindergarteners today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Oh, for Ford's Sake!

1. Don't take Fox News' word for everything. In fact, don't take any news service's word on health or education issues. IME, they're usually wrong.

2. This isn't, much as you might like it to be, a "liberal" vs "conservative" thing. We went to a party Sunday where one of the honorees had just graduated from a Catholic middle school, complete with a diploma! My kids, in the evil public school district, never graduated from middle school. They did have an awards ceremony at the end of every school year, and all the grade levels were represented. I did learn that in some places, e.g. Illinois, "graduating" from 8th grade is/was a very big deal. (It was not in Pennsylvania, even when I was in middle school, ca. 1964.) After all, at one time, graduating from the 8th grade was a really big deal.
Similarly, Kat, the only official middle school graduation ceremony I've ever attended was held at a Seventh Day Adventist school. Public School? Yeah, right! Where do these people get this nonsense?

Some parents host informal parties at the end of the year, but they're not school-sponsored events, and in our neighborhood the PTO throws an ice cream social following dismissal on the last day of school. It's a send-off for the fifth graders, who scatter to different districts for middle school (the elementary school open enrolls about 1/3 of its student body and the remainder are split between two middle schools upon continuation). I think it's a nice tradition.

Our personal celebration involves a generous gift card to the bookstore and an afternoon to browse for summer reading. It's an effort on my part to keep my kids' brains active for the next ten weeks. They've spent the last nine or so months busting their tails on academics, and I think their hard work deserves a little reward. And, frankly, after the struggle my youngest has been through, lionsgater, I might just damn well throw him a parade and buy him a whole case of cupcakes. If you and the "Bah, Humbug!" crowd consider that indulgent, you can kiss my _____!

Here's another thing I'd like to throw out there: my husband's development team has a party to celebrate the completion of every major project. Are you all going to get your panties in a twist over that, too?

Last edited by randomparent; 06-03-2014 at 04:39 PM..

Old 06-05-2014, 09:01 AM

226 posts, read 312,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post

Actually, if I live in the same town I don't mind attending if I can. It's when relatives expect you to travel a few hundred miles or more for an 8th grade graduation on a weekday morning and get mad if you can't. That is when I get mad. My sons don't remember their pre k graduations so it isn't living on happily ever after in their memory. Teachers don't agree with all of these graduations either, I know that for a fact. Many of the parents want it so they don't feel left out when others are posting pics on facebook of their kids graduations. Now parents are renting limos, buying prom dresses for 8th grade graduations, crazy.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:15 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
It all started with Billy Madison...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SN7lQVX80bU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies