Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2014, 05:06 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
$150 billion dollars. $150 billion is 25% of Canada's entire budget and they cover everyone with health care in that money.
That's right, but Canada's socialized healthcare system is wayyyyyyy cheaper than the U.S. insuranced-based for-profit healthcare system. It's not just the VA healthcare that's so expensive, EVERYONE'S healthcare is more expensive in this country. Our healthcare is the most expensive on earth (so why would you expect the VA healthcare costs to be different?). If you want Canada-sized costs/patient we'll have to Canada-style healthcare.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 05:32 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
That's right, but Canada's socialized healthcare system is wayyyyyyy cheaper than the U.S. insuranced-based for-profit healthcare system. It's not just the VA healthcare that's so expensive, EVERYONE'S healthcare is more expensive in this country. Our healthcare is the most expensive on earth (so why would you expect the VA healthcare costs to be different?). If you want Canada-sized costs/patient we'll have to Canada-style healthcare.

Ken
And none of that is ever addressed. The bloated costs are the headlines when? Why werent costs addressed with Obamacare?

This is why those like myself say "no". I was completely on board with Obama the candidates health care ideas. Well not completely but I thought them a good place to start. It's just too bad President Obama didn't follow through with his promises as candidate Obama.

It's a mistake that happens all the time to think because someone complains about something happening today its only because they are arguing for the other side. I do NOT support the other side here.

Increased budgets are not the answer for complacency , fraud, corruption and bloated costs.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:38 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
And none of that is ever addressed. The bloated costs are the headlines when? Why werent costs addressed with Obamacare?

This is why those like myself say "no". I was completely on board with Obama the candidates health care ideas. Well not completely but I thought them a good place to start. It's just too bad President Obama didn't follow through with his promises as candidate Obama.

It's a mistake that happens all the time to think because someone complains about something happening today is only because they are arguing for the other side. I do NOT support the other side here.

Increased budgets are not the answer for complacency , fraud, corruption and bloated costs.
Getting rid of the for-profit based health care system in the U.S. is just not in the cards right now. It wouldn't have happened. Americans are just not ready for it and the insurance companies and drug companies have too much clout with Congress. Even among the Democrats there's wouldn't have been enough votes. That's just the realtiy. Obama knows that (as does everyone in Congress).

Ken

Old 06-02-2014, 05:50 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Getting rid of the for-profit based health care system in the U.S. is just not in the cards right now. It wouldn't have happened. Americans are just not ready for it and the insurance companies and drug companies have too much clout with Congress. Even among the Democrats there's wouldn't have been enough votes. That's just the realtiy. Obama knows that (as does everyone in Congress).

Ken
So I continue to support "no". What would have the country supported? They would have supported Obama's other promises also.

"Today as my first act in office I am calling a halt to the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. I am calling on Congress to immediately start working on my promises for health care as costs are no longer an obstacle as we will be saving (whatever it is) by no longer making life worse for those in these countries".

He would have been very popular and could have got nearly anything he wanted.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:17 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,216,524 times
The three GOP Senators need to be retired. The GOP as always went for the easy political point. The wrong guy resigned.

The Head Administrators at each VA unit which cooked the books should be fired. In my eyes they commited Theft of Service. An example of the idea that you throw cash at results instead of the process.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:31 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
As a Vet, I would prefer some action instead of blowhard politics, but don't expect much.

EJ Dionne: Will Congress be as brave as Shinseki? - The Washington Post

Old 06-02-2014, 06:32 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Over 60% of VA facilities were found to have "cooked the books" in scheduling.
All over bonus money.

On paper the VA was doing a stupendous job.
In reality anyone who spoke up got punished.

Transfers, resignations, retirements is probably the best we'll see.

VA audit finds misconduct widespread; in Arizona, reaction is scorn*-*Los Angeles Times

Old 06-02-2014, 06:59 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The GOP called for the head of Veterans Affairs Secretary Eric Shinseki ultimately resulting in his resignation. However, it is impossible to provide free healthcare benefits to our veterans without appropriate funding. Due to two endless wars, the number of our veterans has skyrocketed!

U.S. Veterans: By the Numbers - ABC News

In February, Senate Democrats pushed a bill on expanded veterans’ benefits. It would have expanded VA health care access, tuition assistance, and job training. But the Republicans blocked it!

Expanded veterans benefits bill fails over GOP's budget-busting objections - Washington Times

Particularly, will these three senators please resign?

Senate to get a second chance to do right by veterans | MSNBC

Senate blocks huge vets benefits bill | Military Times | militarytimes.com
The VA didn't seem to lack funding as it paid out bonuses.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:00 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Yep. It's kind of like the GOP shutting down the government and then whining and complaining that the government was shut down. There is a total disavowal by the GOP of the cause and effect of their actions.
Seems to me that both sides could have prevented the shut down. As it turned out Obamacare wasn't even ready to be started.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:04 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,874,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Seems to me that both sides could have prevented the shut down. As it turned out Obamacare wasn't even ready to be started.
The website had some problems early on, but once those were ironed out, it worked just fine. I have a nice, affordable plan that I'm very satisfied with that I got through one of the exchanges.

And your assertion that both sides could have prevented the shutdown is false equivalence. The GOP held the House, only one of the three bodies they needed to pass what they wanted. Even so, they demanded that they be allowed to dictate what the other 2/3rds did. When their demands weren't met, they shut the government down.

It was a planned strategy. Cruz wanted the shutdown--he spent the entire summer of 2012 traveling around the country on a nationwide tour sponsored by the Heritage Foundation, talking up the plan to defund the ACA and arguing that a shutdown of the government would not be a disaster for America or the Republican Party.

I think we should give Cruz the credit he so badly wants for his brilliant execution. He continues to tout the shutdown as a crowning achievement as recently as just a few days ago. The man worked for it. He, and the party that backed his strategy, deserve to have all the credit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies