Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 10:19 AM

770 posts, read 1,133,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
You are clueless. Home school students out-perform public school students in almost every metric in the States. I have no idea what happens in the great white north where you come from.

You are quite correct. Home Schooled children in general outperform public school kids in many metrics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 10:23 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,236,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I tend to disagree with this assessment. I don't personally have kids so I can't say for sure. But I am definitely not a Christian and I would never let my child step foot in the utter garbage that we call public schools.

Even if you ignore "informedconsent's" argument about how home-schoolers outperform their public-school counterparts. I could actually care less about educational performance. Even if home-schoolers performed at lower levels than others, I still wouldn't care. Public school is total garbage in regards to everything that actually matters.

For one, public school doesn't teach you to be an independent thinker. It doesn't teach you to be creative. It doesn't teach you to think for yourself. It is the epitome of conformity. It throws you in an environment with a bunch of kids who are all the same age as you, and who know absolutely nothing about the real world. It doesn't teach you to be responsible. It doesn't teach you good manners. It doesn't really even teach you how to interact with actual people. It teaches you how to interact with children. The day you leave high school is basically the day you start to forget everything you learned in high school.

There is no real-world environment that remotely parallels public school. You will never again be "age-segregated". You will never again be in an environment where the only things that matter, are petty bullcrap. A world of "jocks", "preps", "skaters", "smokers", etc. In the real world, those divisions either don't exist at all, or are greatly subdued.

Furthermore, everything I learned about racism, I learned in public school. My mother wasn't racist. My family isn't racist. I learned racism in public school.

I would say that "youth culture". Which is practically inherently irresponsible, immoral, and violent, has been created by a public school system which not only puts kids in a situation where they are only around other kids all day long. But also public school has basically off-loaded all responsibility for raising children onto the public schools. Many parents hardly even talk to their children. Their only mentors and idols become the other kids in their school. Instead of actual adults.

And all of this ignores the even bigger problem. Children who go to public school tend to have a much worse "self-image" than people who are homeschooled. Especially teenage girls. The self-esteem of teenage girls in public school drops like a total rock. Its hard to imagine anyone going through public school and not feeling suicidal at least once.

With that said, I remember public school pretty clearly. A lot of what I learned in school was either a lie, or was completely misrepresented. This is especially true of anything having to do with "social studies"(especially History and Civics).

The only thing public school is good at, is indoctrinating kids by teaching and reinforcing what the government wants your children to know. Basically, it is about turning kids into an unthinking, unquestioning "citizens". Which is why they practically force every child to recite the "pledge of allegiance" every day through school. Which makes sense, since as soon as you leave school, you will never ever again recite the pledge(unless you join the military).

All nations have a public education system. Even craphole countries. And it isn't to help the people. It is to help the government. Public education systems are a product of "nationalism". To understand, you simply need to read about the German family that came to America as "refugees" because they wanted to homeschool their children and Germany said they couldn't and threatened to throw them in prison.

The German law was created during the "Hitler" era.

Hitler

"Homeschoolers tend to think more independently and may espouse philosophies deemed harmful to the state–philosophies centered around faith, for example, or liberty, or a whole host of other “subversive” ideas. The State, then, must curb such freedom of thought. The public schools thus become an assembly-line-style factory of sorts, churning out Good Citizens who won’t shake things up the way homeschoolers evidently might; public school youth are “taught,” after all, not only how to think (or not think), but also what to think. Their curricula are centrally planned by a government committee, carefully vetted by government bureaucrats, disseminated by government workers, upheld by government judges, and enforced by government thugs."
You may not have children, but you summed up this argument perfectly. Thank you for your post!

Old 06-05-2014, 10:56 AM

7,327 posts, read 6,951,302 times
We home schooled our kids and they both passed the GED just fine.
My kids are better informed then public school ever were .
The discussion here only proves we did the right thing.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:39 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,418,498 times
what gets me, they will ask, who was the third president, ok get it wrong you stupid.

ok my turn, what the outside diameter of a third gear cluster from a 71 toyota 4 speed.

well I guess you must be stupid too.

point is, they find question for you to fail at

Old 05-09-2018, 06:29 PM

770 posts, read 1,133,661 times
Default Be civil and professional

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies