Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2014, 02:06 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,389,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Exactly, that's why the tiny house movement is really more of a lifestyle statement than a true solution for affordable housing. It's a way to display a rejection of conspicuous consumerism and hoarding of necessary stuff., Which is kind of ironic considering that they are buying something to show their disdain for consumerism.

Anyway, even outside of the tiny house movement, there is a movement by a subset of wealthy Boomers and younger urbanites to eschew the bigger is better American dream for simple homes in urban centers.
One of the unique things about the movement is that tiny house owners often built their homes themselves, in some cases with reclaimed material, so it's a little different from buying a stock RV or mobile home off the lot.

Last edited by randomparent; 06-05-2014 at 03:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 05:59 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,136,099 times
What we need are watertight capsule homes that are buried underground, shatter proof, earthquake proof, just need some PVC vent pipe and elevator to take you down a shaft to your level, run some water, sewer and electic lines running along the tunnel hallway branching off to each unit, nice and cozy. Each one would be soundproof from the neighboring pods. Around here it stays at a constant 50 degrees when you get a few feet below ground level, so a very small amount of energy needed to get it up to room temp. Plus they don't have to be small, you could have a 5000 sq/ft unit made up of 5 giant pyrex jars connected together and have room for the whole family. You could have LCD screens hanging on the walls for windows, hooked up to cameras on the surface showing you "outside" conditions. After the excavation and installation of the infrastructure, the land above could become a park, or be used for rich peoples homes.

Last edited by mofford; 06-05-2014 at 06:12 PM..

Old 06-05-2014, 07:53 PM

39,876 posts, read 26,550,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
The homes are on trailers because they are below the minimum threshold for square footage in most municipalities, and it's the only way to make it work. Few tiny house owners have been successful in putting their home on a permanent foundation, although many would very much like to do so.
I know quite a number of people around here that have put mobile homes on permanent foundations. Only thing is, by the time you buy property, build a road, install a well and septic system and put in power, you've sunk well over $100k into the property. I'm not sure about trailer parks-do any let the residents actually buy the lot as opposed to rent? If so, I don't know why the owner wouldn't be able to put their trailer on a foundation.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:58 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,372,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I know quite a number of people around here that have put mobile homes on permanent foundations. Only thing is, by the time you buy property, build a road, install a well and septic system and put in power, you've sunk well over $100k into the property. I'm not sure about trailer parks-do any let the residents actually buy the lot as opposed to rent? If so, I don't know why the owner wouldn't be able to put their trailer on a foundation.
Sure....a modular is just a doublewide trailer.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Probably because a mobile home is large enough to meet the minimum square footage requirement, while the tiny house is not.

Last edited by randomparent; 06-05-2014 at 08:25 PM..

Old 06-05-2014, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Probably because a mobile home is large enough to meet the minimum square footage requirement, while the tiny house is not.
There are quite a few "park model" mobiles that are sub 500 SF, and are quite nice looking.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...02108878727984

Old 06-05-2014, 08:43 PM

Toyman, do you not get that one of the central tenets of the movement is that the owners stick-build their own homes? That's part of the appeal, so it matters not a whit if the park model units are nice looking. It's not what these people want.

Last edited by randomparent; 06-05-2014 at 08:54 PM..

Old 06-05-2014, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Toyman, do you not get that one of the central tenets of the movement is that the owners stick-build their own homes? That's part of the appeal, so it matters not a whit if the park model units are nice looking. It's not what these people want.
I didn't realize that owner built was a central tenant for the movement. So having a professional with construction experience build the house somehow disqualifies it as a "tiny home"? Don't get me wrong, I understand the appeal of building your own house, I've done it. I do wonder then, what codes are enforced and building permits secured to do this?

Old 06-06-2014, 06:53 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,563,928 times
Quote:
No it isn't. The central tenet is to "live simply in a small home".

Small house movement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-06-2014, 07:24 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,372,654 times
Quote:
I didn't realize that owner built was a central tenant for the movement. So having a professional with construction experience build the house somehow disqualifies it as a "tiny home"? Don't get me wrong, I understand the appeal of building your own house, I've done it. I do wonder then, what codes are enforced and building permits secured to do this?
Zoning could still be tuff.

I am not sure of the figures but, I know in our township there is a formula of living space to bedroom space.

What I don't know is it a percentage or, square footage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies