Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2014, 01:04 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
How many people starved before food stamps?
Numbers are fairly difficult to find in that era, In New york better records are found, and in 1934 the number from what I can tell was 110.

The soviet union claims 7 million died from starvation. Theres lots of evidence that the number was not that high of course

The exact number could be debated and extrapolated if you wanted, but at a guess I'd say the number hit over 1000 in 1934 alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 04:34 PM

1 posts, read 441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815
yet the people over at foodstamps-forum.com seem to be using their benefits responsibly, at least that board is trying to find ways to save money
okay maybe they aren't lazy, but there are a few food stamp people that are and its reallllly annoying to see them at the store, filling their cart with everything but a healthy meal.

Old 06-06-2014, 04:42 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
My favorite uncle is 81 years old and receives food stamps worth about $100 a month. His only other income is a SS check for about $760 ... of which $650 pays for his rent and utilities such as water, electricity, and heat. The $130 left over has to be budgeted for bus fare so he can make his doctor's appointments, or necessary things like toothpaste and socks. He cannot afford TV cable or internet access. If he did not get the food stamps I think he would starve.

My uncle lived and worked and paid taxes his whole life. He never received any kind of benefit until he was a senior citizen. If anyone would suggest his food stamps be taken away from him I would give that person an earful!
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I deliver Meals on Wheels to the elderly. Most of the MoW recipients receive a similar SNAP benefit and their only income is SS.

Many of my "clients" have Fox News on all day long.
Not this uncle. He likes Rachel Maddow. I tell him Rachel is a lesbian and would not be interested in him. Ever the macho stud he says "Rachel Maddow would turn straight if she ever dated me!" So I say to him if he is the person that could make a lesbian enjoy straight sex, surely there is a guy who you would consent to have gay sex with. His answer was, "Ummm maybe Gary Cooper or William Holden ... but they're dead now, so it ain't gonna happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
No favorite uncle of mine would ever starve.
You got me there. Of course I would not let any uncle or aunt or relative starve. I am the only relative that lives within 500 miles of him. Still, the measly hundred bucks a month in food assistance is a great boon to him ... he doesn't have to eat Ramen noodles day in and day out.

Old 06-06-2014, 04:45 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Still, the measly hundred bucks a month in food assistance is a great boon to him ... he doesn't have to eat Ramen noodles day in and day out.
How many hours someone else had to work to earn that measly hundred dollars only to be force to give it to an ungrateful man who calls it a measly hundred bucks? I'll bet the person who earned it would love to keep that measly hundred bucks.

Old 06-06-2014, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiixoxo View Post
okay maybe they aren't lazy, but there are a few food stamp people that are and its reallllly annoying to see them at the store, filling their cart with everything but a healthy meal.
I hear you!

Yes there are some people who always figure out a way to scam the system.

So let's weed out the scam artists and those who are not genuinely eligible and concentrate on little kids, the elderly and the disabled.

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water!

Old 06-06-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:
I hear you!

Yes there are some people who always figure out a way to scam the system.

So let's weed out the scam artists and those who are not genuinely eligible and concentrate on little kids, the elderly and the disabled.

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water!
The left will deny there are scammers just like they deny there are fraudulent voters. They want more poor people too.

Old 06-06-2014, 04:53 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,655,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Well here is about how the food stamp program is run I am tired of it.

I work, I'm 40 years old and I am just sick of watching others live off my sweat and the strength of my will to work and take care of myself. These people are leeches.
80% of these people are life timers on these programs.

They sit at home all day and watch tv, have their welfare phones texting their other welfare friend's phones and eat the food and the rest of society has been providing to these losers for far to long. I am paying for my phone, my tv, my gas, electric, gas, car, bills so they can do what life off the governments hand outs.

These programs were created to keep the animals from revolting stealing and rioting of which is about the only time they do riot or complain is when their FOOD item they picked up doesn't match the sale sign. These idiots can't read and then blame the store because they can't ready 5lb bag not 4lb bag sale!!! Some how this is compassion for people who have no drive to work, and would rather play the system of food stamps. They complain and don't do crap and about the only thing they do complain about is because they are uneducated often and have no skills are busy striking at mcdonalds for 15 per hour. I wonder who these people are voting for? End the programs watch them get a job, or they will riot and or steal of which from a moral compass part lets see.. which is morally right stealing or working for what you earn. Or stealing from others via government and food stamps and some how that is ok.

I am complaining because while I struggle to pay food prices, taxes, gas prices and house payments I am sick of it.

They don't pay rent, they don't pay for just about anything, water, gas, electric, and likely if they do they have hidden cash often to cover whatever the food stamps don't cover and or for items like new sneakers, shoes, clothes, cars etc.

If your from another country they start you out early with food stamps, pay no taxes you get food stamps its like a system of FREE stuff forever in America. How is the eliminate the POOR program going let me know when food stamps makes you RICH And able to take care of yourself. Why ever get a job? Why pay for anything and these people think this is normal.
It's the people who live off these programs because in general they know better but don't care as long as they are getting their share and the government who keeps this crap going.
I agree. Lets give the money to "people who make the right choices."

The following is Liberty (and not some liberal handout.)

Romney's Economic Plan Includes $6.6 Trillion Tax Cut For The Rich And Corporations | ThinkProgress

And lets get rid of high min wages, get rid of healthcare for all, and make all the working Americans who don't pay taxes pay something.

And remember the rich made this country great. So lets get 0% tax rates on capital gains, so the billionaires 11% tax rates go to 0% tax rates.

Warren Buffett's Effective Federal Income Tax Rate Was Just 11% - Forbes

Yes the above was liberal sarcasm, but to a republican it was 100% real.

Chad.

Last edited by chad3; 06-06-2014 at 05:17 PM..

Old 06-06-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
That measly hundred bucks is how many hours someone else had to work to earn to give it to an ungrateful person who calls it a measly hundred bucks. I'll bet the person who earned it would love to keep that measly hundred bucks.
As a lifelong citizen and taxpayer he paid into it. Guess what: I rather he get the food stamps then the billionaire banksters who get tax deductions for their $400 "business" dinners, their $2,000 a night luxury hotel suites, their corporate jet expenses, their government bailouts, their forgiveness for unpaid tax responsibilities. What about all the hundreds of billions of dollars in waste spent on the military? How about billions spent on foreign aid - some of it to countries that despise us?

Sorry, but let me make one thing clear: I do NOT begrudge honest citizens who helped build this country who are genuinely in need of food assistance because they are severely disabled or elderly.

Who are you? Ebenezer Scrooge???

Old 06-06-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
As a lifelong citizen and taxpayer he paid into it. Guess what: I rather he get the food stamps then the billionaire banksters who get tax deductions for their $400 "business" dinners, their $2,000 a night luxury hotel suites, their corporate jet expenses, their government bailouts, their forgiveness for unpaid tax responsibilities. What about all the hundreds of billions of dollars in waste spent on the military? How about billions spent on foreign aid - some of it to countries that despise us?

Sorry, but let me make one thing clear: I do NOT begrudge honest citizens who helped build this country who are genuinely in need of food assistance because they are severely disabled or elderly.

Who are you? Ebenezer Scrooge???
How about neither the welfare lazy or those big business. Oh you don't realize that Obama is all about the big business. Damn have you been bamboozled.

As for severely disabled or elderly, ... don't call it "measly hundred" then. Like I said, for you, it will never be enough because of your greed. If he doesn't appreciate it, then give that "measly hundred" back to the person who worked to earn it. They would love to keep more of what they earn.

At least have the decency to appreciate the help given

Old 06-06-2014, 05:16 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
How many hours someone else had to work to earn that measly hundred dollars only to be force to give it to an ungrateful man who calls it a measly hundred bucks? I'll bet the person who earned it would love to keep that measly hundred bucks.
I worked about two hours for it. I'll even pick the two hours I spent in meetings today and dedicate them to him. I will claim to have paid for Clark Parks uncles food stamps. I hope there are more people like me who feel that giving some old guy food stamps is not the worse thing in the world, and I hope that in our great country there are more like me who help those in need.

Monday I think i will call it "money for a brand new aircraft carrier" hours.

And I can afford it. Funny thing, but taxes really are taken from folks who can in fact afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies