Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you were asked to participate in a survey or poll about firearms would you be honest?
I do not own firearms and I don't keep them in my home, I would be honest 18 35.29%
I do not own firearms and I don't keep them in my home, I would not be honest 2 3.92%
I own firearms and I keep them in my home, I would be honest 16 31.37%
I own firearms and I keep them in my home, I would not be honest 15 29.41%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 11:30 AM

17,443 posts, read 9,281,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
There is no disconnect. Far fewer homes own guns than ever before. This is a polling trend that is decades old. Basically one would have to make the insane case that people who answered polls about owning guns in the 1960's were less likely to lie about owning a gun than people in the 1970's.

And that people in the 1970's who answered polls about owning guns were less likely to lie about owning a gun than people in the 1980's, and that people in the 1980's who answered polls about owning guns were less likely then people in the 1990's, and that people you should get the point.

As usual the conservative argument has no basis in reality or rational thought.
I agree that people in the 70's were less likely to lie on polls about gun ownership - they didn't FEAR the Government as much as they do today and even during the Carter years, they had a lot more TRUST in the Government.

I'm curious since you claim that "fewer homes own guns than ever before" ..... why do you think people are buying all those guns if they don't intend to keep them?

According to the ATF - (only tracking data since 1986 & reported by Bloomberg)

21.1 Million (that's with a M) guns were produced in Obama's first term
8.57 Million produced in 2013, which is up from the year before.

And that data is only from 2 Gun Manufacturers

The FBI data, a proxy for sales figures, also indicate that the firearms industry enjoyed a solid 2013. More than 21 million background checks were conducted last year, up 7 percent from the 19.6 million in 2012, according to the FBI. Those figures are records and represent increases of at least 19 percent over the 16.45 million checks performed in 2011. Not every background check leads to a gun sale, and a single background check may be used for multiple purchases.

Ammunition sales are booming also - The O-Team has been great for the FireArms industry.

To answer the question - only a fool would admit to an anonymous caller that they owned guns, particularly with an Administration and Political party that is do determined to take away the rights to own those same guns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 11:39 AM

23,580 posts, read 17,253,889 times
I'd be as honest as Obama.
Then I'd spin my answer depending on who was asking.
The people that need to know alreay know.

Don't do polls but when i do I have fun with the answers.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:46 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,397,565 times
I would assume someone calling my home phone knows not only the number but my name and address. I would no more share information about what I do or do not have in my home with them than I would share information about times the house is and isn't occupied.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:48 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,471,556 times
I will if you are honest about why you are soliciting personal info on firearms

Old 06-05-2014, 11:54 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,776,879 times
What are these 'firearms' that you speak of?

sounds painful.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:14 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,210,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
There seems to be a huge disconnect between gun owners and anti gun people when it comes to firearm related polls or surveys.

If you were asked to participate in a survey or poll either in person, by phone or whatever about firearms in your home would you be honest?

I answer questions about firearms quite a bit. including doing survey polls too.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:21 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,798,275 times
It really depends on what the context of the poll/survey entailed, and who was doing the polling. If it was just a general question about owning firearms, and it was a law enforcement entity, then of course I would say yes I do. Now, if it was some third party random, privacy invading polling company, no way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
I will if you are honest about why you are soliciting personal info on firearms
Not even then... they could say anything.

This poll isn't putting forward enough response types. Now that I think about it, gun owners should choose "I don't own guns, and I wouldn't be honest"

That would mean you are lying and admit it.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:22 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,104,257 times
Your survey does not include my response. No I won't answer because it is no one's business wether I own or do not own, intend to own, ever owned a firearm.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:42 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,962,148 times
It is my business what I have in my home as far as firearms. I would not take part in this poll.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:45 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,030,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
It really depends on what the context of the poll/survey entailed, and who was doing the polling. If it was just a general question about owning firearms, and it was a law enforcement entity, then of course I would say yes I do. Now, if it was some third party random, privacy invading polling company, no way.

Not even then... they could say anything.

This poll isn't putting forward enough response types. Now that I think about it, gun owners should choose "I don't own guns, and I wouldn't be honest"

That would mean you are lying and admit it.
Harrier would never answer any such question from a law enforcement entity without the prescence of an attorney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies