Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 12:43 AM

10,219 posts, read 15,934,635 times

Advertisements

A joke that's been going around Facebook says "Obama so loved the poor that he created millions more".

The Democrats only answer to poverty in America is more government handouts, Medicaid, more unemployment benefits, Obamacare, expanding Medicaid etc. All these things do is foster a culture of dependency and entitlement, and simply make poverty more comfortable. But these policies never get anyone ahead. In particular, more generous unemployment benefits are a disincentive for the recipient to look for work more aggressively.

The answer to poverty is creating jobs so those who want to can work their way out of poverty. This can be done by creating a business friendly conducive to job growth. Democrat policies like high taxes and overregulation are hostile to businesses.

Some of y'all also wonder why people in "Red States" often vote Republicans despite poverty in these states. I'm going to try to explain as a current resident of West Virginia who grew up in Louisiana and also lived in liberal Maryland for a long time. WV and LA have higher poverty rates, but the majority of West Virginians and Louisianans are still middle class or blue collar and DO NOT depend on welfare. Yet because of the poor people around, we see welfare being abused all the time. I challenge you to stand behind someone in line at the supermarket waiting forever while they can 5 different WIC cards and EBT things. Then outside you see them getting into a brand new SUV. I challenge you to experience this like I have and not be Republican. I personally know people who cheat the system and it disgusts me. I think unemployment benefits and workers comp are already too generous. WC is also very subject to fraud and dishonesty. I've heard that up to half of workers comp claims are at least partially phony or exaggerated.

Democrat policies like the war on coal and the EPA regulations have put many people out of work in West Virginia and contributed to many social problems here. West Virginia is actually a Democrat state since the state house is controlled by Democrats, and the governor is a Democrat. WV is only Republican when it comes to presidential elections, and only since 2000 when Al Gore proved hostile to coal, which is the main industry in West Virginia and employs more people than any other. Entire families and communities depend on coal yet the liberal elite want to shut down our mines and attack our industry through these carbon emissions laws for power plants. By the way when electric rates skyrocket, its poor families that will be more affected than the liberal elite. Our governor appeased Obama by expanding Medicaid and accepting Obamacare. The poorest counties in WV are the most Democrat ones. Democrat control has done nothing to help this state except get people accustomed to welfare checks and government freebies.

Living in liberal Maryland has also made me more conservative. I am the son of LEGAL immigrants and my taxes and tuition were increased so illegal aliens can benefit. Welfare abuse is the order of the day in Baltimore and PG County.

Old 06-08-2014, 12:49 AM

10,219 posts, read 15,934,635 times
Oh yes while many Blue States look good on paper the trend is reversing. Yes, there are many companies based in California and New Jersey but these were founded when these states were less fiscally liberal. No major companies are being founded in California or NJ. Most of the new job growth is in Red States like Texas and North Carolina with low taxes, few regulations, and right to work laws. Many companies have relocated to Texas from California. New Jersey and California are seeing zero job growth and now just want to raise more taxes to get more revenue, which will drive more people away.

Old 06-08-2014, 01:28 AM

1,199 posts, read 734,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Oh yes while many Blue States look good on paper the trend is reversing. Yes, there are many companies based in California and New Jersey but these were founded when these states were less fiscally liberal. No major companies are being founded in California or NJ. Most of the new job growth is in Red States like Texas and North Carolina with low taxes, few regulations, and right to work laws. Many companies have relocated to Texas from California. New Jersey and California are seeing zero job growth and now just want to raise more taxes to get more revenue, which will drive more people away.
Well you sure made a strong argument. Its well known that all those tech start ups are being done in Georgia, the Carolinas, Alabama, Tennessee, you know, the epitome of red states. I mean none of those start ups are flocking to the bay area at all what so ever

Texas is a rare exception, due to the oil boom. And good for Texas for being blessed with an abundant resource in high demand creating good jobs. But outside those areas of work, many of the new jobs created were low paying or govt. employees

Old 06-08-2014, 01:33 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzel View Post
Well you sure made a strong argument. Its well known that all those tech start ups are being done in Georgia, the Carolinas, Alabama, Tennessee, you know, the epitome of red states. I mean none of those start ups are flocking to the bay area at all what so ever

Texas is a rare exception, due to the oil boom. And good for Texas for being blessed with an abundant resource in high demand creating good jobs. But outside those areas of work, many of the new jobs created were low paying or govt. employees
Actually Texas has a pretty thriving software and technology development thing going on.

Old 06-08-2014, 01:34 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,464,526 times
Quote:

You thumbs up many of the new jobs being created being low paying?

Old 06-08-2014, 01:37 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
Then outside you see them getting into a brand new SUV.
You don't qualify for SNAP if you have more than $3K in assets.

Quote:
No major companies are being founded in California or NJ
CA had the most business start ups in 2013, given CA's record, there is a high probability they will become major companies.

Quote:
New Jersey and California are seeing zero job growth and now just want to raise more taxes to get more revenue, which will drive more people away.
CA added 330K jobs from April 2013 to April 2014. Since Feb. 2010, CA added 1,368,500 private sector jobs.

http://www.jec.senate.gov/public//in...a-2403c58756ae

Old 06-08-2014, 02:17 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
California's unemployment rate is currently 48 out of 51 states (including DC) at 7.8 percent. Only Illinois, Nevada, and Rhode Island are worse. Texas is currently 17 @ 5.2 percent.

Unemployment Rates for States

Old 06-08-2014, 08:23 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Paying people to breed is stupid policy - and it's pretty much what the welfare programs are about. TANF actually gives free cash every month to women who have children they could never support.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:41 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:

It's more than just oil.

Is oil the reason Austin, DFW, San Antonio and other Texas cities are booming with millions coming here ?
They are not all in the oil business.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:54 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,474,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Paying people to breed is stupid policy - and it's pretty much what the welfare programs are about. TANF actually gives free cash every month to women who have children they could never support.
If you really think that women have babies so they can get greater benefits I would say with certainty that you`ve never raised children. By raising children I`m not talking about taking the boy fishing or to his little league game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies