Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 10:54 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,344,207 times

Advertisements

My family owns a restaurant and this is a known truth. Obviously, it's not always the case but on average blacks are terrible to wait on. Many are great customers though, and there's plenty of terrible white customers and some of every race, really..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 11:04 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,274,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
Unless the study does a comparison of different races across equal income levels then it's rather pointless.
It did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
White Americans have 22 times more wealth than blacks

Recession widens the wealth gap by race - Jun. 21, 2012
Irrelevant.

"This black–white difference in tipping is not due to income or other demographic differences between the two ethnic groups, because that difference remained both sizable and statistically significant after controlling for sex, age, education, income, and household size."

Old 08-31-2014, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
If this is true, it's probably because Black people are not given the same consideration as others. Happens in all aspects of this society.

Frankly, how can anyone know this for sure??? It's a shot in the dark, and absolutely meaningless.
The tip disparity existed even when the black patrons rated the service higher than whites.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:52 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,245,171 times
LOL...folks still arguing about OTHER PEOPLE'S MONEY!

If you're not a server, then don't concern yourself with how anyone besides yourself tips the help.

I'm black, and if the service is good, i'll tip well. If it's not, then i won't. Simple as that.

If the service was really good and the server doesn't deem my tip to be good enough, then too bad. But i'm not gonna overtip in order to compensate for an image problem that black folks have when it comes to tipping. I know some black folks that do that, and it's absurd.

And if i detect that a server is giving me poor service BECAUSE i'm black, then i'm gonna make it a very hellish day for that server that he/she won't soon forget....and they STILL won't get a tip when i'm done.

Fortunately, i've not had to do that in many years.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:48 AM

88,649 posts, read 84,943,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
LOL...folks still arguing about OTHER PEOPLE'S MONEY!

If you're not a server, then don't concern yourself with how anyone besides yourself tips the help.

I'm black, and if the service is good, i'll tip well. If it's not, then i won't. Simple as that.

If the service was really good and the server doesn't deem my tip to be good enough, then too bad. But i'm not gonna overtip in order to compensate for an image problem that black folks have when it comes to tipping. I know some black folks that do that, and it's absurd.

And if i detect that a server is giving me poor service BECAUSE i'm black, then i'm gonna make it a very hellish day for that server that he/she won't soon forget....and they STILL won't get a tip when i'm done.

Fortunately, i've not had to do that in many years.
No, that's just ridiculous. You don't have to be the spokestipper for the black community.

Tipping for good service and not so much for poor service is all anyone asks. The issue is receiving good service and not tipping.

Old 09-01-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No, that's just ridiculous. You don't have to be the spokestipper for the black community.

Tipping for good service and not so much for poor service is all anyone asks. The issue is receiving good service and not tipping.
I don't see it as a big deal myself.

There will always be bad tippers. The world won't stop turning because some server got stiffed. We all get the shaft at our jobs from time to time...That's life.

And servers sure as heck don't feel sorry for me when I get screwed.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:16 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,397,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
I used to work PT for Red Lobster along with my FT job.

On Sundays, big parties of black customers (15 at a table) would come in from church, all ordered separate checks. When it was all done, they would tip $1 or less. It usually worked out that you might scrape $6 bucks for all of them, party of 15.

Each check averaged *$22 x 15 = so $330. Of that, I might see $6 bucks total. *Usually Platters, with drinks.

This happened each and every Sunday, for a full year. Different groups of black parties, with few repeats.

Are whites cheap? Yeah, they can be but MOST whites tipped 20% (I'm white and I tip 25%)

Asians were a little tight as well....

Do you want to know who the most generous people were? (not a race) New Yorkers!
Why do you tip 25%?

A meal for 2 at a sit-down place can run $40 and you tip $10?

Old 09-01-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
Why do you tip 25%?

A meal for 2 at a sit-down place can run $40 and you tip $10?
Lol..yeah, that's pretty insane. You've gotta be extraordinary to get a quarter of my bill outta me.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Lol..yeah, that's pretty insane. You've gotta be extraordinary to get a quarter of my bill outta me.
I tip 35%-50% to bartenders.

It pays off, but a waiter is only getting 20%.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I tip 35%-50% to bartenders.

It pays off, but a waiter is only getting 20%.
Not a big bar person, but I'll give most bartenders a few bucks tops.

Hell, I'm only ordering a Kahlua and creme...That's not hard to make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies