Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 06:29 PM

20,349 posts, read 19,941,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
I don't go around asking the mods to close threads.
Neither do I. That's the lazy coward's way out, imo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 06:35 PM

31,088 posts, read 22,101,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I tip 35%-50% to bartenders.

It pays off, but a waiter is only getting 20%.
I have a couple of bartenders that I take care of, and they take care of me. If I order 5 drinks in a night I'm usually paying for 3.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:20 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,134,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
It did.

Irrelevant.

"This black–white difference in tipping is not due to income or other demographic differences between the two ethnic groups, because that difference remained both sizable and statistically significant after controlling for sex, age, education, income, and household size."
Just want to point out that wealth and income are not the same thing and there is no indication that the difference in wealth was measured or controlled for in this tipping survey.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:31 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,452,315 times
I have heard these mumblings about how black patrons tip less, even from friends I have that are black that have been a server, but I personally have seen the opposite quite often.

I have 2 friends which are white who are the biggest penny pinchers ever, it irritates me quite often when I am with them because I feel like the waiter/waitress did a good job and they are not fairly compensated.. but that is not my business, so I don't say anything.

On the other hand, just the other day I went to lunch with 2 black friends and a white friend and the service was horrible! We had to wait forever to get our food, finally the manager compensated all of our food and alcohol and when we left the 2 AA friends tipped $10 on a free meal and my white friend tipped nothing. BUT, my 2 AA friends did ask for more food to go.. although the service was so horrible, I actually wish I had too. LOL.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:40 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,582,886 times
My sister works for a high end well known restaurant in NYC and has flat out told me that she and many in her staff refuse to wait on blacks. Management is fully aware of it and blacks who come in to eat/drink are usually served by the newer staff who have no seniority. When I asked her what the problem is with them she tells me...."where do I begin!"

-They're horrible tippers if they even tip at all.

-They question and make a big fuss about every single item on the bill.

-They're loud the entire time up until the bill comes. LOL. She said at that moment all the smiles and laughter are gone and everyone starts calculating what THEY themselves ordered rather than just splitting the bill evenly.

-One party wanted to bring in their own cake/dessert for a bday dinner which was fine but the restaurant policy was to charge each patron $5 for doing so. They caused a huge scene by shouting and accusing the restaurant of "racism" . Mind you, this isnt an applebees or red lobster. This is an establishment that's frequented by celebrities.

-One guy comes with a female and orders a bottle of champagne after trying to negotiate the price only to try and walk out with the bottle and champagne glasses in his jacket. Security stopped him and once again accusations of racism spewed.

Now its not ALL blacks who are like this. She told me that its usually those wannabe industry type blacks who are the ones that cause the ruckus. She tells me...."I dont get it. You have these girls coming in with thousand dollar high end bags and shoes yet want to complain about the price of a cocktail!"

Last edited by louie0406; 09-09-2014 at 06:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies