Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2014, 05:17 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,134,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyThere1 View Post
If that is the case they should go to McDonald's or Taco Bell to eat. No excuse to not tip the wait staff.
Tipping is a custom not a rule. How do you expect people to tip the right amount if they don't even know what the exact rules are? Tipping is so widespread with so many "rules" that people inadvertently stiff the service providers. In the past, I accidentally stiffed the valet since I wasn't aware I was supposed to tip. Tipping rules constantly change and now we are even tipping cashiers at takeout places. How exactly do service providers expect people to know tipping rules when they don't even tell them what the rules are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 05:18 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
Everyone knows this. It is common knowledge. There are also almost no volunteers that are minority.
What? I know black people who run soup kitchens and visit people in prison and raise money to help people who are suffering losses, etc. And I'm not talking about two or three people I know. Many.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:23 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,464,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
http://www.tippingresearch.com/uploa...al_draft_2.pdf

Ethnic Differences in Tipping: A Matter of Familiarity with Tipping Norms
Michael Lynn, Ph.D., is an associate professor of marketing at the Cornell University School of Hotel Administration

"Studies of tipping behavior indicate that black customers tend to leave
lower tips than do white customers. Rather than unnecessarily demean a
customer group, however, the industry should try to understand and address the
underlying cause of this ethnic difference in tipping. The results of the study
reported here suggest that differences in tipping between African-American and
Caucasian customers may reflect differences in the groups’ familiarity with the
15- to 20- percent restaurant-tipping norm. This explanation suggests that one
solution to the problems posed by differences in the groups’ tipping is to
publicize the 15- to 20-percent tipping norm in minority communities."
Typical liberal answer. It's not the black peoples' fault, they're just too stupid to know what to do and it's up to us to educate them. And people call conservatives racist.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:26 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
Tipping is a custom not a rule. How do you expect people to tip the right amount if they don't even know what the exact rules are? Tipping is so widespread with so many "rules" that people inadvertently stiff the service providers. In the past, I accidentally stiffed the valet since I wasn't aware I was supposed to tip. Tipping rules constantly change and now we are even tipping cashiers at takeout places. How exactly do service providers expect people to know tipping rules when they don't even tell them what the rules are?
That's true to a degree, if it's something you don't do often, like the valet and the story I put in an earlier post about not knowing to tip the guy who took my bags at the airport the first time I flew.

But--we're talking about restaurants. How could someone make it to adulthood and be unaware that you are supposed to tip wait staff at least 15%? Nowadays it goes more toward 20%, but it was 15% forever. Even if you did not grow up going to restaurants, as in my case, I learned by watching what other people did as a young adult and I looked things up when I wasn't sure. And hey, now YOU have this wonderful thing called the Internet.

So, if a person is going out to dinner, and they are unsure of what the proper custom is for tipping, why wouldn't one look it up to be sure?

Old 08-31-2014, 05:27 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
Spaniards are notoriously bad tippers. So are folks from a number of South American countries I have experienced. Even folks who are affluent. The cheapness is deep.

Old 08-31-2014, 07:20 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
You could say the same about people on the far right.
I rely on empirical evidence, not "studies".

Old 08-31-2014, 07:51 PM

801 posts, read 1,104,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
The point is that if you're black and get crappier service at a restaurant than others, now you know why.
When my office goes out to nearby restaurants, no matter what is ordered, or where everyone is seated, the servers always go out of their way to serve the black person last - every single time. Several times I noticed a smug grin on the face of the server when she maneuvered the final placement.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:00 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I rely on empirical evidence, not "studies".
Then come up with some empirical evidences to prove YOUR points.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
The point is that if you're black and get crappier service at a restaurant than others, now you know why.
If I get crappy service, I do not care why it is. It is wrong no matter what. And I advise anyone who gets crappy service to call corporate. That is what one person I know did.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryview22 View Post
When my office goes out to nearby restaurants, no matter what is ordered, or where everyone is seated, the servers always go out of their way to serve the black person last - every single time. Several times I noticed a smug grin on the face of the server when she maneuvered the final placement.
In the case of that restaurant, I wouldn't eat there anymore, and I would call corporate on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies