Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 12:26 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,037,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Christ on a Cracker. OP's explanations actually make more sense!
I know... At least the OP, while horribly incorrect both in his conclusions and attempts to follow the scientific principles, kept his answers grounded in reality... and now we have "lust spirits."

This thread needs to be permanently archived somewhere after it's run its course as a monument to what passes for reasoning in some people.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:26 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,141,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I'm gay. I was never abused in anyway whatsoever. I was not neglected in anyway whatsoever. I grew up with a mother and father who were loving and engaged. To this day, I have a great relationship with both of them. I'm not a rebel at all. I follow and fit into most social norms. I did not choose my homosexual sexual orientation - it's something I became aware of at puberty and it has never altered or wavered.
Pretty much my experience, exactly.

So, while the OP is at it, he can explain my homosexuality as well.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Pretty much my experience, exactly.

So, while the OP is at it, he can explain my homosexuality as well.
He already explained it. All cases of homosexuality can be explained by his random list... except the ones that can't, because there are exceptions...

Needless to say, that type of logic wouldn't pass grade school reasoning, much less a peer-reviewed process, but at least it's better than claiming you have a bad case of evil "lust spirits?!"

Old 06-20-2014, 12:30 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,107,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medellinheel View Post
The first one is most def an explanation. The 2nd one is just something to ponder.
No, the first one was a statement that I'm an exception to your rule. Saying my homosexuality was not caused by being abused and neglected DOES NOT explain the cause of my homosexuality. It simply rules out 1 cause.

I'll ask again:

Since you're the expert and have done extensive and conclusive research into the causes of homosexuality, I'd like for you to explain the cause of MY homosexuality.

As a reminder:

I'm gay. I was never abused in anyway whatsoever. I was not neglected in anyway whatsoever. I grew up with a mother and father who were loving and engaged. To this day, I have a great relationship with both of them. I'm not a rebel at all. I follow and fit into most social norms. I did not choose my homosexual sexual orientation - it's something I became aware of at puberty and it has never altered or wavered.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:32 PM

675 posts, read 544,429 times
Quote:
No, the first one was a statement that I'm an exception to your rule. Saying my homosexuality was not caused by being abused and neglected DOES NOT explain the cause of my homosexuality. It simply rules out 1 cause.

I'll ask again:

Since you're the expert and have done extensive and conclusive research into the causes of homosexuality, I'd like for you to explain the cause of MY homosexuality.

As a reminder:

There are some things in life we can not explain. Your exceptioness is one of them if you are telling the truth.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
He already explained it. All cases of homosexuality can be explained by his random list... except the ones that can't, because there are exceptions...

Needless to say, that type of logic wouldn't pass grade school reasoning, much less a peer-reviewed process, but at least it's better than claiming you have a bad case of evil "lust spirits?!"
Similar to PTSD.

Strong correlation but not every case.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
There are some things in life we can not explain. Your exceptioness is one of them if you are telling the truth.
So, your causes for homosexuality are the causes for it... except when they are not...

Seriously, man... this is not how science is done. You're confusing correlation with causation. In short, while there maybe a pattern among the gay people you know regarding abuse, etc. that doesn't mean that the abuse CAUSES homosexuality.

Just to give an example, most retired people are old, so clearly retiring causes old age... it's the same type of logic error.

Anyway, I suggest reading up more on the scientific method and how to avoid data bias, correlation / causation confusion, etc.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
So, your causes for homosexuality are the causes for it... except when they are not...

Seriously, man... this is not how science is done. You're confusing correlation with causation. In short, while there maybe a pattern among the gay people you know regarding abuse, etc. that doesn't mean that the abuse CAUSES homosexuality.

Just to give an example, most retired people are old, so clearly retiring causes old age... it's the same type of logic error.

Anyway, I suggest reading up more on the scientific method and how to avoid data bias, correlation / causation confusion, etc.
No, they are the primary causes.

Like with everything in life, you have exceptions and things that we simply can not explain.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:39 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,107,555 times
Quote:
Your exceptioness is one of them if you are telling the truth.
I assure you I'm telling the truth about me be gay and about me not being abused and neglected as a child. I can also assure you I've known scores more gay people than you. I can also assure you that I'm not the exception - I'm the norm. A vast majority of the gay people I know were never abused or neglected as kids.

Quote:
There are some things in life we can not explain.
I think you need to reject that defeatist attitude that we just can't explain certain things in life like why I - and the majority of gay people - are gay. That's a pretty strange attitude for a serious scientific researcher like you to hold. I'm a chemist who has worked with many research scientists. I've never once encountered that attitude in that field.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
I assure you I'm telling the truth about me be gay and about me not being abused and neglected as a child. I can also assure you I've known scores more gay people than you. I can also assure you that I'm not the exception - I'm the norm. A vast majority of the gay people I know were never abused or neglected as kids.

I think you need to reject that defeatist attitude that we just can't explain certain things in life like why I - and the majority of gay people - are gay. That's a pretty strange attitude for a serious scientific researcher like you to hold. I'm a chemist who has worked with many research scientists. I've never once encountered that attitude in that field.
Maybe you and all your gay friends just happen to be the outliers.

Also, its hard for people to admit factors that might lead one to think they were not born that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies