Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2014, 01:34 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,267,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I'm skeptical of any system taking us closer to an American Idol voting "contest" where it takes zero effort for low information people to cast their vote on a whim with less thought than they put in when ordering off the McDonalds' value menu.

If you don't put in enough forethought so that you are registered and have an ID on you prior to the election, I'd prefer you didn't vote.

Larger turnouts don't mean better results, it means there is a greater chance of more votes cast without any true consideration, research or knowledge. It's one of the reasons I'd like to have not only the straight ticket option removed but also no indication of party affiliation on the ballot.

All we have to do is take a look at music, television and the movies to see that when the McDonalds' generation makes decisions on a whim, we get Miley Cyrus, the Kardashians and Transformers. Cheap flash.
Meh. Voting has been the same since the first election, and lookie! We're still here! Aside from a few completely insane C-D posters, even conservatives are happy to tell everyone that we're the awesomest country on earth.

At the same time, conservatives have been trying to keep people they don't approve of from voting for about the same length of time. Just like those British rulers who only allowed people with a certain amount of property, who were male and white.

American conservatives -- Taking the country back to 1775 daily since 1788!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 01:35 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,050,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
No there is no proof of rampant voter fraud. conservatives are in fantasyland ignoring objective reality to justify and hide their ugly beliefs and anti democratic motivates for making it more difficult to vote and register to vote.

conservatives seek to exclude those groups of Americans they hate and whom they desperately don't want voting.
We seek to exclude groups who shouldn't be voting in the first place, liberals are desperate to add as many of those people to the voter rolls as humanly possible and fight against any effort made by anyone to uncover voter fraud.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:35 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,233,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I'm skeptical of any system taking us closer to an American Idol voting "contest" where it takes zero effort for low information people to cast their vote on a whim with less thought than they put in when ordering off the McDonalds' value menu.

If you don't put in enough forethought so that you are registered and have an ID on you prior to the election, I'd prefer you didn't vote.

Larger turnouts don't mean better results, it means there is a greater chance of more votes cast without any true consideration, research or knowledge. It's one of the reasons I'd like to have not only the straight ticket option removed but also no indication of party affiliation on the ballot.

All we have to do is take a look at music, television and the movies to see that when the McDonalds' generation makes decisions on a whim, we get Miley Cyrus, the Kardashians and Transformers. Cheap flash.
Great post!

Old 06-24-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
We seek to exclude groups who shouldn't be voting in the first place, liberals are desperate to add as many of those people to the voter rolls as humanly possible and fight against any effort made by anyone to uncover voter fraud.
Pure fiction.

As we always try to point out to simpletons, the minuscule amount of voter fraud that actually has occurred is easily fixed by proper voter registration, not by voter ID. But you're not really interested in preventing voter fraud, are you?

Old 06-24-2014, 01:40 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,303,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
Thomas Jefferson had MANY faults, I admit. He did however know how to govern. So let me be blunt. There are many people on both sides of the aisle who would appreciate it if lazy, uninformed people would stop voting. And that includes some lily white, rich airhead from Harvard who cannot tell you who their Senator is let alone what measures are on the local ballot. Republicans are not the enemy, stupid people are.
It means that he supported an evil institution and demeaned those humans in bondage as less than human.

and finally you get to my point that I have made repeatedly that conservatives don't want people to vote and their goal in crafting voting laws is to make sure certain groups of people don't vote. Thank you finally a somewhat honest conservative.

I wish more conservatives were as honest that this has nothing to do with voter fraud and everything to do with making sure fewer people vote.

This again proves my point about the ugly beliefs that conservatives have about millions of their fellow Americans and their anti democratic goals.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
My goals are the most purely democratic ever, I want our elections to be secure. You on the other hand want as many people voting as possible and you couldn't care less about security because those who are the most likely to vote illegally vote for your candidates. You support fraud, I detest it. You support skirting the laws of this country, I do not. You support anything that keeps your candidates in power, I do not.
And yet you do not support the one thing that would actually prevent voter fraud. Why is that?

Old 06-24-2014, 01:57 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,303,649 times
Quote:
My goals are the most purely democratic ever, I want our elections to be secure. You on the other hand want as many people voting as possible and you couldn't care less about security because those who are the most likely to vote illegally vote for your candidates. You support fraud, I detest it. You support skirting the laws of this country, I do not. You support anything that keeps your candidates in power, I do not.
Again rampant voter fraud doesn't exist. There has never been proof that exists.

I do want every eligible American to vote in every election.

conservatives are terrified by that idea because they have ugly beliefs about their fellow Americans and don't think those Americans should vote, and they have anti democratic goals to enact those beliefs.

The core of conservatism is exclusion.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:58 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,233,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
It means that he supported an evil institution and demeaned those humans in bondage as less than human.

and finally you get to my point that I have made repeatedly that conservatives don't want people to vote and their goal in crafting voting laws is to make sure certain groups of people don't vote. Thank you finally a somewhat honest conservative.

I wish more conservatives were as honest that this has nothing to do with voter fraud and everything to do with making sure fewer people vote.

This again proves my point about the ugly beliefs that conservatives have about millions of their fellow Americans and their anti democratic goals.
How thoughtful of you to address the points of my post before launching into your diatribe. Not!

Old 06-24-2014, 02:01 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,412,761 times
Quote:
Thomas Jefferson had MANY faults, I admit. He did however know how to govern. So let me be blunt. There are many people on both sides of the aisle who would appreciate it if lazy, uninformed people would stop voting. And that includes some lily white, rich airhead from Harvard who cannot tell you who their Senator is let alone what measures are on the local ballot. Republicans are not the enemy, stupid people are.
Intelligence is not a prerequisite for voting.

That is a violation of the 24th Amendment.

Hate to burst your unconstitutional bubble, pal. We've been down this road already. It was called Jim Crow.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Please look at the posters handle that I was responding to. I think you might be a little off with your post. And why pray tell would I limit myself to only white men
I have no idea. Plenty of women on this forum hate women.

And I'll just repeat what Opin_Yunated said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Intelligence is not a prerequisite for voting.

That is a violation of the 24th Amendment.

Hate to burst your unconstitutional bubble, pal. We've been down this road already. It was called Jim Crow.
And add… not only is it not a prerequisite for voting, it CANNOT and SHOULD NOT be because it's totally subjective. That's why the Founders (you know, like Thomas Jefferson ) did not make it a requirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies