Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 10:04 AM

45,221 posts, read 26,431,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
That would include when some unproductive corporate toad or politician finds a way to steal thousands or tens of thousands of jobs from productive Americans and send them overseas to save a few bucks, right?

Of course, we're to begrudge the people who have had their jobs stolen from them for needing social safety nets to survive, or so the right-wing echo chamber claims...
The private sector cant forcibly extract wealth from private citizens..well not without the aid of politicians w/guns.

And no one is entitled to a job or income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 10:12 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,236,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
And perhaps this is what petch was really thinking of and simply labeled as "proud to be on welfare."

We, as an entire culture, have definitely shifted and what used to be societal embarrassment is now like a claim to nobility, at least politically. The most desirable group to be in is one that is oppressed, and if you can't claim membership among the officially oppressed, then go for the next most desirable group - those with a disease/handicap. Either way, you're now awsome, noble, special, important, etc. It's much faster than the whole "work hard for many years, be successful blah blah" path, it makes people sympathetic to you, and it gives you license to be a jackass in the public square without fear of reprisal.

Being successful is now the embarrassment. We villainize, denigrate and generally despise the successful in America. They are mean, horrible people who simply don't care about their fellow man. For an example of working the "woe is me" narrative to actually increase popularity in a culture that dislikes the successful, look no further than one Hillary Clinton now trying to reinvent herself as poor, downtrodden, "just like us" middle class schlep. She knows full well that being a multimillionaire that uses all the tax breaks for multimillionaires she helped enact into law will make her less popular in Victim States of America, so she needs to come off like a victim.

Our culture has evolution backwards. We now prize/admire/praise the weak, and we hate the strong. Period.

most desirable group - those with a disease/handicap= A bunch of Hooey. Anyone that desires to be handicapped needs their head examined.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:14 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,447,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
People defend welfare and being on welfare as if it is something to be proud of. You see it here on cd all the time. Oh and my crowd wouldn't consider welfare. So why do people here on c-d act as if being on welfare is something to be proud of?
To be frank with you, we don't give it much thought. No evidence of any significant trend of anyone being "proud" of it.

You, on the other hand, seem obsessed with welfare - as evidenced by your starting another thread with some phony strawman premise to pick some nonsense argument on the topic.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:14 AM

6,422 posts, read 7,665,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
I disagree. Most people on welfare are more embarrassed than proud. Welfare recipients bad reputation comes from the non-recipients who judge them all day. I live in Brooklyn and east Brooklyn is home to a lot of welfare recipients and most of them hide their EBT cards when they're at store.
Not in the Bay Area, I see them flash their cards and then pack their groceries in their new car, laughing all the way. Non-recipients should pay attention to where their hard earned tax dollars are being spent in all areas of government as it is our money.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:17 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,447,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Not in the Bay Area, I see them flash their cards and then pack their groceries in their new car, laughing all the way. Non-recipient should pay attention to where their hard earned tax dollars are being spent in all areas of government.
I live in the bay area for years, and I have never seen anyone "flash their cards" and whatever other nonsense you're talking about. You're just fabricating stuff to feed your sense of outrage, which you clearly enjoy.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:18 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,481,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Why do people act proud to be on welfare?
They don't.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:18 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
They don't.
Some do.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:22 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,870,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Not in the Bay Area, I see them flash their cards and then pack their groceries in their new car, laughing all the way. Non-recipients should pay attention to where their hard earned tax dollars are being spent in all areas of government as it is our money.
Oops, you forgot to say that they bought six lobsters and a case of filet mignon and that the car was a shiny new Cadillac. Come on, now, if you're going to spout the old Welfare Queen canard at least don't forget to spice it up with all those pertinent "facts" to really get the juices flowing.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:28 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Oops, you forgot to say that they bought six lobsters and a case of filet mignon and that the car was a shiny new Cadillac. Come on, now, if you're going to spout the old Welfare Queen canard at least don't forget to spice it up with all those pertinent "facts" to really get the juices flowing.
I've seen plenty of people use their Lone Star Card in front of me and then get in a nicer car than mine in the parking lot.

The first reform should be to go back to food stamps. You trade in your bread stamps for bread, your chicken stamps for chicken and your vegetable stamps for veggies.

No more cards designed to look like credit cards that can buy you sodas, candy and chips. No more cards allowing for cash withdrawals.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:32 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,727,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
Not disagreeing with you but maybe a better way to phrase the question would be to ask why there is not as much shame and social stigma associated with being on public assistance and why does the left think that this is a good thing?
Ok I'll go with that. Why is there not as much shame and social stigma associated with being on public assistance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies