Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 10:33 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,336,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Oops, you forgot to say that they bought six lobsters and a case of filet mignon and that the car was a shiny new Cadillac. Come on, now, if you're going to spout the old Welfare Queen canard at least don't forget to spice it up with all those pertinent "facts" to really get the juices flowing.
.....and a Coach bag full of crab legs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 10:34 AM

13,979 posts, read 5,638,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
most desirable group - those with a disease/handicap= A bunch of Hooey. Anyone that desires to be handicapped needs their head examined.
I didn't say they were the most desirable group. I said they were second most desirable behind the various categories of Officially Oppressed people.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:37 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,763,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I am not sure if people on welfare are proud....some are....some are not.

But, at one time it was more of an embarrassment......I do see an attitude change.
There are also people who think society owes them. It never occurred to them that having kids without being able to afford to support them is wrong. It's unfair to the tax payer and extremely unfair to the kids. The kids didn't choose it, it's not their fault but the mother is teaching that bad mentality to the kids. Then the kids grow up with bad attitudes too. That is just as bad.

As the kids sit there and listen, this lady has 15 kids and she is screaming "someone's got to pay".

Old 06-25-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post

We, as an entire culture, have definitely shifted and what used to be societal embarrassment is now like a claim to nobility, at least politically.
That is it, it's as if the Obama administration and democrats promote them as nobility. It's as if the people have become proud. Their supporters of course would go along and defend it. When government acts as if you are a favored group, it's not because they want to help, they are using you for their own political purpose.

Think about it, the poor are the easiest to manipulate because they are desperate and naturally want a better life. If they think a politician will do this for them of course they will support them.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post

what used to be societal embarrassment is now like a claim to nobility, at least politically.

gives you license to be a jackass in the public square without fear of reprisal.

Being successful is now the embarrassment. We villainize, denigrate and generally despise the successful

look no further than one Hillary Clinton now trying to reinvent herself as poor, downtrodden,

She knows full well that being a multimillionaire that uses all the tax breaks for multimillionaires she helped enact into law will make her less popular in Victim States of America, so she needs to come off like a victim.
Excellent post.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:47 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,388,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Mmmm...stuffed Coach bag with crab legs.

Yummy.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post

No more cards designed to look like credit cards that can buy you sodas, candy and chips. No more cards allowing for cash withdrawals.
Even attempting to take away a negative stigma is not good.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:50 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,671,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
To feed the cat because you can't buy pet food with food stamps.

13,979 posts, read 5,638,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
This is completely incorrect, people are not embarrassed to be successful. Where do you get these ideas from?
The observable world all around me?

Take free speech as an example, and not legally free speech, but court of public opinion free speech. If you are in one of the groups of Officially Oppressed People, you have more free speech license in the court of public opinion. A black person (officially oppressed group numero uno) can say that all white people are racists, and it may get a tsk tsk here and there, but will by and large be ignored. Now let a white person say something stereotypical about all black people, and now it's a hate crime.

I didn't invent the term white guilt, it's been around since the 60s. Popular culture has simply made it all but an official crime at this point. Same for rich vs poor. We can all say "the evil rich" and well, sure, because they're all evil, but "lazy poor" is just mean, hateful and even thinking such a thing makes you a pariah.

Heterosexuals are routinely accused of homophobia, but homosexuals are never accused of heterophobia. It is assumed that if a heterosexual disagrees with homosexuality, it's hatred, anger, ignorance, etc. If a homosexual disagrees with heterosexuality, well now, they're enlightened and seeing beyond and all that, so it's perfectly legitimate.

The court of public opinion, which wields VAST power in this country, confers more equality on Officially Oppressed and Other Victims, and it frowns upon anyone being what would be traditionally referred to as "normal." Normal now being a pejorative to describe successful, heterosexual, white people. Toss in Christian, and you're close to society's perfect villain at this point. The source of misery and woe in this nation of ours.

Was Donald Sterling an idiot in that phone call? Sure. But I'd love to have a tape of every phone call made as a result of Sterling's comments, by everyone who isn't an old rich white guy. I'd love to see the transcript of each and every one of those conversations, because I'd wager that the comments on the whole would be far more "offensive" but the court of public opinion says no no, those would be legitimate responses to outrage blah blah.

It's a simple fact that on the current animal farm called American culture, some animals are more equal than others, and the two groups with the most extra equality are Officially Oppressed and Those With Disease/Handicap. Hey, I follow the rules. I know which animals are more equal, and I am not one of them. Got it. Doesn't mean I cannot hold my own thoughts on the issue.

It's my opinion based on the world I see in print and on TV every single day. Your agreement is irrelevant to forming or holding to that opinion.

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,770,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
It's like woman who have kids they can't afford. The lefties defend woman who bring kids into poverty and being on welfare instead of admitting it is selfish and wrong.
Stop generalizing.
I am liberal and I think using welfare as an excuse to be lazy is unacceptable.
Now if they are really poor, having tough times and need some assistance, that is another story.
And I think it is logical to assume that people on welfare would not be proud of themselves,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies