Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 02:14 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
If they can take away your air conditioner for the rest of your life, that might be enough climate credit to add another plane to Obama's air armada that he flies to Hawaii each year for vacation.
Yep...

Old 06-25-2014, 02:18 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
It isn't the AGW that will cause humanity's extinction, come on. Mammals aren't going to suffer from mere temperature increase. However there are many things that will. The fish we eat. They'll be gone. The plants. We'll have wars over water and access to it. If even one of those wars goes nuclear. Game over. 100 years. But even at 25 years you won't want to wait around for the finale.

Funny thing about the bee's and cancer too, by the way. AGW doesn't have anything to do with them, but, the exact same protocols that would address the one, would also neutralize the other! In other words adopting strict controls on vehicle emissions or by migrating the entire planetary vehicle fleet to electric power would go a long way to slowing AGW' progress AND would have a very positive effect on cancer rates. Two birds with one stone.

H

Old 06-25-2014, 02:20 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
I find the science behind AGW compelling and sound. Though I do not believe that AGW will result in the extinction of mankind, I do believe we are leaving a potential environmental calamity for future generations.

I take the old time conservative approach on this issue. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Face problems and deal with them and not leave it for our children to deal with.

Under this new fangled "conservatism" and what passes for "conservatism", it is all about the here and now and a what have you done for me lately attitude.

Yes, I'm with you on the seriousness of AGW.
I find the science behind AGW compelling, but not sound. For instance, the "consensus" climate predictions have been wildly wrong.

I am all for prevention, but you have to at least have an idea of what you are trying to prevent, and have a reason for why you should need to prevent it.

I mean, the only compelling part of global-warming to me, is that humans must have some sort of impact on the climate because we are having a profound impact on the Earth in so many ways. And these changes were happening even before industrialization. For instance, deforestation, putting up dams and creating reservoirs, even creating structures which absorb more of the suns rays or holds in more heat(IE, how cities trap heat).

I remember one person saying that the government should require us all to use white shingles or paint our roofs white to bounce more of the suns rays back into space.

In all honesty, the goals of some of these AGW obsessed people, could only come into fruition if the population of the Earth was reduced to only a few million people, and we lived like primitive tribal people. And I'm not even sure that would make them happy. Because there wouldn't be protections for any "endangered species".

The point is, if global warming is actually a problem, what are the problems? Why are they problems? Can you actually prove that they are problems? If humans didn't exist at all, does that mean the Earth would never change? What responsibility do we have for preventing the Earth from ever changing?

Old 06-25-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
More AGW alarmist nonsense. Knock me over with a feather.

PS. the real problem is pollution.

I actually agree. But, as I said, the cure for one also cures the other.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:22 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
It isn't the AGW that will cause humanity's extinction, come on. Mammals aren't going to suffer from mere temperature increase. However there are many things that will. The fish we eat. They'll be gone. The plants. We'll have wars over water and access to it. If even one of those wars goes nuclear. Game over. 100 years. But even at 25 years you won't want to wait around for the finale.

Funny thing about the bee's and cancer too, by the way. AGW doesn't have anything to do with them, but, the exact same protocols that would address the one, would also neutralize the other! In other words adopting strict controls on vehicle emissions or by migrating the entire planetary vehicle fleet to electric power would go a long way to slowing AGW' progress AND would have a very positive effect on cancer rates. Two birds with one stone.

H
Why would water be a problem if all the ice is melting? There will be MORE water and MORE plants therefore MORE food.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:24 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:

H
carbon dioxide causes cancer? how odd.

btw, you forgot to explain how bees figure into your fantasy scenario.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:29 PM

33,543 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
carbon dioxide causes cancer? how odd.
You think the only vehicle emissions are CO2? How odd.

Quote:
btw, you forgot to explain how bees figure into your fantasy scenario.
Without pollinators agriculture collapses...I thought everyone knew this.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
The point is, if global warming is actually a problem, what are the problems? Why are they problems? Can you actually prove that they are problems? If humans didn't exist at all, does that mean the Earth would never change? What responsibility do we have for preventing the Earth from ever changing?
How many nails need to pull out of your deck before you get concerned that the thing will fall down some Saturday and kill someone? Maybe several someones. Maybe even someone (several someones) you care about?! LOTS of people have deck failures and nearly all of them had some warning the damn thing was coming apart. We are just so d*amn procrastinatory, its really a problem.

What are the problems... well... um... oranges, limes, grapefruits... anything citrus... they can no longer be grown in America because the climate has changed and promotes the growth of a disease organism. Several variety of wine grape can no longer be grown in regions that they have thrived in for generations. Good Lord, do you need to wait until POTATOES can't grow before you think that there is a problem? OK, FIHE you go wait but you might be altered to the fact that something is really wrong when the fire-fights start breaking out at the food markets. Some of us don't want to wait until then. Can you get your head around that?

H

Old 06-25-2014, 02:31 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
I actually agree. But, as I said, the cure for one also cures the other.
No, the AGW alarmists are overly concerned with CO2, you know, the stuff that plants require.

I want reductions in things like CO, NOx and NH3.

I don't want taxes and carbon credits that allow the rich to get away with buying pollution.

I want the world to set hard limits for countries, not setting limits in order to transfer wealth.

I want the AGW crowd to take a firm stand on people flying on private jets before they come after guys driving a pickup trucks.

I want the AGW crowd to address all of the new computers and phones being consumed before they talk about increasing ethanol use.

I want real pollution being addressed and real steps being taken instead of demanding change that is really geared at wealth redistribution.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:33 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I'm no denier, but to say that humans will be extinct in 100 years is way over the top...I know of no science that even hints at this...
well that is one thing we agree on

Quote:

H
ever hear of desalination plants? california has plans to build 25 of them. florida already has a couple, and there are plans to build a number of them in the middle east as well.

and then there is the farming technology of hydroponics and airponics that produce plenty of food without planting stuff in the ground. and i believe that technology will help the aquatic life as well. of course the problem there isnt pollution but rather over fishing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies