Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2014, 04:59 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,198,794 times

Advertisements

I would only ask her about her abandonment of freedom of choice here. In the economic sphere, she is a strong proponent. It is a double standard. She would never question the right of a laid off CEO to a multi-million dollar golden parachute, objects at the idea of even a small increase in minimum wage anywhere, or any law protecting our occupational safety.

However, we are in peril for a VOLUNTARY increase in the popularity of soccer. I somehow think baseball, football, basketball, and hockey will survive. Sounds like she has her priorities in order. LOL!

Old 06-27-2014, 05:00 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
It might be more a generation thing, maybe most of the parent's generation wasn't that familiar with soccer. At least in high school, it seemed like soccer was taken just as seriously as the other team sports. Younger people when they reach parent age won't have taht issue as much.
Soccer is getting more popular........crawling along. Lets face it though if soccer got ratings ESPN/FOX whoever would have it on all the time. Heck the team in KC has a really nice stadium and they sell out most of the time. Of course I remember way back in the day indoor soccer used to sell out too. The KC Comets were the talk of the town. Then folks got bored with it all. We shall see. Heck if soccer takes off good. I am not much of a fan but if others are then they can see their team on TV more often. I'm not a hater of any sport...........just have the ones I like. If others like different then good. Why I think this Coulter article is just stupid.

Old 06-27-2014, 05:03 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Ann Coulter likes to poke lefties. In her latest poke she says soccer is un-American, doesn't reward individualism, and is not a real 'sport'.
"No American whose great-grandfather was born here is watching soccer. One can only hope that, in addition to learning English, these new Americans will drop their soccer fetish with time."

Coulter: Any growing interest in soccer a sign of nation's moral decay
Funny that she fails to mention, as do some posters on here, that soccer is actually a British sport, just like every other "American" sport there is. Football is a derivative of rugby, basketball of netball, baseball of rounders. About the only "American sport" that we have is NASCAR

Old 06-27-2014, 05:47 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
"Moral" decay is a bit of a stretch, but I think that line was part tongue-in-cheek and part simply noting that the typical soccer-crazed mindset also embraces the "progressive" decay that is destroying us from within.

It's a great piece and largely spot on. And, yes, my great grandfather was born here.

Old 06-27-2014, 05:54 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It's in the thread title (which I realize isn't Dan Coulter's writing). Plus, here is his/her conclusion:

If more "Americans" are watching soccer today, it's only because of the demographic switch effected by Teddy Kennedy's 1965 immigration law. I promise you: No American whose great-grandfather was born here is watching soccer. One can only hope that, in addition to learning English, these new Americans will drop their soccer fetish with time.

Americans in quotes, as if anyone who watches soccer is not a real American. My future son-in-law has family going back to the revolution, and he watches soccer. Also, snide comments about people whose great-grandparents were not born here. Only one of my great-grandparents (out of 8) was born in the US, and I can assure you I speak English and have spoken it from birth. All of my husband's great-grandparents, and two of his grandparents were born outside the US, and he speaks English as a first language as well.
As an American sports watching male, I can tell you that neither myself nor anyone I know watches soccer. The only reason it's being watched in any numbers now is because we are in the midst of the summer sports doldrums. We are figuratively throwing ballast into the sea when we tune in to the World Cup.

Soccer is a sport that Americans in general do not care about, Coulter explains why and it sounds correct to me. It's too bad you don't like what she is saying. Or maybe you just don't like being made to look stupid, I don't blame you.

Old 06-27-2014, 05:55 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Why are so many liberals criticizing Ann Coulter?

It must be part of the Democrat's war on women.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:26 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Funny that she fails to mention, as do some posters on here, that soccer is actually a British sport, just like every other "American" sport there is. Football is a derivative of rugby, basketball of netball, baseball of rounders. About the only "American sport" that we have is NASCAR
As a native of Massachusetts I can say definitively that Basketball was invented in Springfield, MA. It is a derivative of nothing.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:42 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,300,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Well many kids when young do get tossed on the soccer field. The better athletes of course when they get older move on to other sports. What is left play soccer as they can't hack it on other fields. Reality.
Somewhat true, although I would not use the word hack. The better athletes do follow the scholarship money. Kind of like comparing MMA to Boxing. Most MMA guys would not make it in the more lucrative sport of Boxing.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:47 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,390,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
As a native of Massachusetts I can say definitively that Basketball was invented in Springfield, MA. It is a derivative of nothing.
That is correct. Basketball begot netball, not the other way around.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:55 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
If Ann Coulter says the same about hockey, then I'll buy but if not then she is a hypocrite because hockey is an imported game as well. The only American sports are Lacrosse (Native Americans), Football (don't say I mean soccer because the English used that name to differentiate from rugby BEFORE American football was created), Baseball and Basketball as they were INVENTED in America.

FYI, I am not calling to boycott hockey because I love the sort and don't care where it came from. I may not like soccer but I'm not calling for a boycott of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies