Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2014, 10:25 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,683,943 times

Advertisements

America's past time is baseball, one of the most boring sports to watch. It's not even considered a sport by many. You could argue that it's more of an activity. This is why some pitchers could go well into their 40s, an age range where a typical human body is well past its athletic durability.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:31 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
Ann Coulter is a huge idiot and a waste of space. I hate people who hate soccer for no other reason than "cuz 'Murrica and NFL."
Maybe people don't like soccer because it goes on forever with very little scoring. She even mentioned all the digital signs in California showing info of various games, many in the 80-something minute and score 0:0.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:34 PM

25,775 posts, read 18,840,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
It's a real sport, but dear God it is the world's most boring sport ever.
I'll second that. I think I'd rather watch the lawn grow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
America's past time is baseball, one of the most boring sports to watch. It's not even considered a sport by many. You could argue that it's more of an activity. This is why some pitchers could go well into their 40s, an age range where a typical human body is well past its athletic durability.
I don't watch sports to any extent, but I can at least stand to watch baseball. It seems to be more of a "thinking man's" game. Other sports just bore me to tears. Although I don't watch baseball either (or at least rarely), at least it does not make my mind go numb.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:43 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,021,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Maybe people don't like soccer because it goes on forever with very little scoring. She even mentioned all the digital signs in California showing info of various games, many in the 80-something minute and score 0:0.
Yeah that is something else weird and foreign about soccer - they count upwards in minutes and even though the game is supposed to be 90 minutes long, time is seemingly arbitrarily added at the "end".

In American sports, we count innings, quarters, and halves, with minutes counted downwards.

We don't say that the Seahawks scored in the "55th minute" - we say that it was 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter and the Seahawks got a TD or field goal.

Or we say that the Mariners scored a run in the bottom of the 9th inning with two outs.

Play is rationally stopped when someone gets hurt.

Is it two difficult for the soccer leagues to hire someone to operate a game clock?

Old 06-28-2014, 03:01 AM

401 posts, read 650,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Is it two difficult for the soccer leagues to hire someone to operate a game clock?
It wouldn't be in the spirit of this sport really, when would you stop the clock ? After every foul, every injury etc ? The game would last much longer then

Old 06-28-2014, 04:00 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,192,804 times
Quote:
Yeah that is something else weird and foreign about soccer - they count upwards in minutes and even though the game is supposed to be 90 minutes long, time is seemingly arbitrarily added at the "end".

In American sports, we count innings, quarters, and halves, with minutes counted downwards.

We don't say that the Seahawks scored in the "55th minute" - we say that it was 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter and the Seahawks got a TD or field goal.

Or we say that the Mariners scored a run in the bottom of the 9th inning with two outs.

Who wants games that last over 3 hours? That is what makes football unwatchable. 8 seconds of action and then minutes of waiting/commerical breaks.

Old 06-28-2014, 05:45 AM

59,111 posts, read 27,349,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
Ann Coulter is a huge idiot and a waste of space. I hate people who hate soccer for no other reason than "cuz 'Murrica and NFL."
The immature posters are all over the place.

If you don't agree with me, you are an idiot!

And the expect for others to take them serous. I doubt it!

Old 06-28-2014, 05:57 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,302,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
International Football pays its stars very well if not better than NFL francises. If you can make it in the British Premier League or the German Bundesliga or La lega in Spain or Italy you will walk away a multimillionaire. The powerhouse European teams are owned either by billionaires or deep pockets business groups so a 100 million dollar contract is no problem if the team can win. This is why a team like Manchester United, Real Madrid or Bayern Munich has a book value of over one billion dollars. They are money making machines and have world wide audiences - a marketers dream. Many of the great South American players do just that and play for European teams because they pay much better than teams in Brazil, Argentina or Mexico (ditto for African or Middle Eastern players).
Absolutely. However the US does not produce Soccer players at that caliber. In the US the best athletes choose Basketball and Football for the scholarship money. That is the reason why the best athletes do not choose baseball. Full ride scholarships for baseball are pretty rare, just as for soccer, although the few guys that go in the first few rounds of the MLB draft out of HS do get signing bonuses that exceed a million.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:45 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,392,191 times
If football is more of an "American sport" (which derived from a non-American sport, of course), then it would have to be because you get to see more serious injuries. And as a country who loves its wars, who here doesn't enjoy seeing someone getting seriously injured for fortune and fame (op, sorry, "respect")? Oh, and of course lots of men in tight pants, can't forget how much the conservatives like that sort of thing

Nah, basketball all the way for me. It was invented here in the U.S. (if that matters to ya), there are very few serious incidents, you get to see your little feuds like you do in other sports, and I don't ever have to sit in the sweltering heat or freezing cold just to watch the damn game! I also think it's a good balance between the requirement for physical and mental strengths.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:37 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:

I've seen football games where that has happened!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies