Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2014, 07:32 PM

73,028 posts, read 62,634,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
It's better when you have a group watching it together. We represented USA to the neighborhood.

Will FIFA make me want to watch more soccer? No, but the Superbowl never made me want to watch more football, either.
And that is the thing about watching soccer games. I don't like watching them alone. I like being with other people who are watching the game. I like playing it with other people. Soccer is one of those things best enjoyed in groups.

I wanted to watch soccer before I heard about FIFA. FIFA is making me want to watch it more. It also makes me wish soccer liked more. This year, the only reason I followed the Super Bowl was because the Seahawks were in it(and they won). I'm a long-suffering Seattle Mariners fan, so the Seahawks winning the Super Bowl was quite nice. Other than that, I don't really want to watch NFL.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:44 PM

73,028 posts, read 62,634,962 times
This is one thing I would say is quite American. I remember being in middle school. I was always one of the smallest(most likely the smallest) boys in my grade. The bigger, or at least the rougher boys, wanted to play football. They wanted to play like real NFL players. The gym teachers would never let anyone play tackle(No equipment in gym class). I found football to be too scary and made for larger kids. One reason I preferred soccer. It was a sport that anyone could play, provided you know how to play. If you know how to play, then you don't have to be a large person to play. I played it, and I was far less scared playing soccer than football. One thing about soccer was this. I never felt like I needed to be 200 lbs to play. Soccer seems to have opportunity for smaller guys than football. Land of opportunity is what America prides itself on. In that way, one could argue playing soccer is American.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:18 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,552,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
And that is the thing about watching soccer games. I don't like watching them alone. I like being with other people who are watching the game. I like playing it with other people. Soccer is one of those things best enjoyed in groups.

I wanted to watch soccer before I heard about FIFA. FIFA is making me want to watch it more. It also makes me wish soccer liked more. This year, the only reason I followed the Super Bowl was because the Seahawks were in it(and they won). I'm a long-suffering Seattle Mariners fan, so the Seahawks winning the Super Bowl was quite nice. Other than that, I don't really want to watch NFL.
I agree. If alone, I tend to skip through it until something good happens. With a group, it can become a fun experience of excitement and disappointment.

I was getting food tonight and the entire line was chatting about tomorrow's games. I have never experienced that before.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:20 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,738,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Ann Coulter likes to poke lefties. In her latest poke she says soccer is un-American, doesn't reward individualism, and is not a real 'sport'.
"No American whose great-grandfather was born here is watching soccer. One can only hope that, in addition to learning English, these new Americans will drop their soccer fetish with time."

Coulter: Any growing interest in soccer a sign of nation's moral decay
I guess that makes Ann Coulter a silly-ass and an idiot. So??

I think soccer is fun to play and boring to watch. If somebody else loves to watch it, good for them.

Old 06-28-2014, 09:23 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,174,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpaddy View Post
Or an NHL game decided by penalty shots? Or a college football game decided by arbitrarily giving each team alternating possessions from an advantageous spot (25 yards from the end zone), and taking away the point-after-touchdown kick option if nobody has a lead after two possessions each?
College overtime is lame, but it is better than NFL. They should play another quarter.

Old 06-28-2014, 09:42 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,942,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is one thing I would say is quite American. I remember being in middle school. I was always one of the smallest(most likely the smallest) boys in my grade. The bigger, or at least the rougher boys, wanted to play football. They wanted to play like real NFL players. The gym teachers would never let anyone play tackle(No equipment in gym class). I found football to be too scary and made for larger kids. One reason I preferred soccer. It was a sport that anyone could play, provided you know how to play. If you know how to play, then you don't have to be a large person to play. I played it, and I was far less scared playing soccer than football. One thing about soccer was this. I never felt like I needed to be 200 lbs to play. Soccer seems to have opportunity for smaller guys than football. Land of opportunity is what America prides itself on. In that way, one could argue playing soccer is American.
Thing is, football tickles the inside of American males' pants, because football is a sport that is basically simulated combat.

Old 06-29-2014, 12:00 AM

33,548 posts, read 37,151,051 times
Soccer is the most boring game in the world...It is just bunch of snivelers who are constantly rolling around on the ground faking injuries...

Old 06-29-2014, 12:15 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,942,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Soccer is the most boring game in the world...It is just bunch of snivelers who are constantly rolling around on the ground faking injuries...
Hey, Canadian, isn't there a hockey puck somewhere that needs to get slapped?

Old 06-29-2014, 01:10 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,121,492 times
Her book sales must not being doing as well.....

Old 06-29-2014, 02:04 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,329,746 times
Anne Coulter is a moron,

Ann Coulter, Canada, & Vietnam - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.