Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2014, 09:02 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Isn't hockey just soccer on ice????
Ever body-check someone on a soccer field? I did not think so.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:03 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,352,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Ever get a goal like this in hockey???

Back Flip Penalty Kick/Shot, Awesome Soccer/Futbol/Football Goal - YouTube

Old 06-30-2014, 09:11 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,376,228 times
Quote:
Must sports and games require a healthy and fit body to be played properly. Maybe if people were not so deathly afraid of contact sports kids would play more of them. Instead we have parents and teachers banning games like dodge-ball and any other physical activity that might involve physical contact. Thanks to teachers, and overly protective parents we have a generation of fat slobs who avoid human contact.
Eh, lots of us encourage and facilitate our kids in their pursuit of regular, vigorous physical activity even if it precludes contact sports. One of my boys suffered a serious head injury as a youngster. Contact sports were out by order of his neurologist, so we all adapted. My kids swim competitively, and they're in awesome condition. Really, really awesome condition. No contact is no barrier to physical fitness.

As for soccer and the point of this thread, Coulter is a paid to be provocative. End of story.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
So are kids, teens, men, and women who play hop-scotch. That still does not make it a sport.
According to numerous definitions found on the web, the criteria for whether or not an activity qualifies as a sport are

Quote:
1. a human activity involving physical skill and exertion

2. governed by a set of rules or customs

3. undertaken competitively and capable of achieving a result
Clearly, you have your opinion, and I harbor no illusions of being able to change it, but soccer most certainly fulfills the criteria outlined above.

As for Coulter's column, it has certainly inspired a huge reaction. Here's an article at The Atlantic that I found interesting.

Ann Coulter Is Right to Fear the World Cup

Old 06-30-2014, 09:50 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,301,646 times
Quote:
Ann Coulter has her humorous moments, although I am not a fan.

I played soccer when I was 6 years old. By the time I turned 8, I was playing football and baseball. By age 12 I was playing basketball. I also took up golf at age 16.

Both soccer and golf are games, not a sport. Baseball, football, and basketball are sports.
I get it you do not like Soccer and that is ok. It is the girly man part that cracks me up. Tell you what, you will not find any man in the world that played or plays Soccer at the college or pro level that was not a better athlete then you ever were at your young age.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:02 AM

1,509 posts, read 1,796,591 times
Quote:
Only the soccer fans are violent, not the players.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:33 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
According to numerous definitions found on the web, the criteria for whether or not an activity qualifies as a sport are

Clearly, you have your opinion, and I harbor no illusions of being able to change it, but soccer most certainly fulfills the criteria outlined above.

As for Coulter's column, it has certainly inspired a huge reaction. Here's an article at The Atlantic that I found interesting.

Ann Coulter Is Right to Fear the World Cup
ROFL! Under that definition I am looking forward to the next gold medalist in the latest Olympic sports of hopscotch and double dutch.

Your contrived definition of what constitutes a "sport" is rather vague, to say the least.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:37 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,352,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
I get it you do not like Soccer and that is ok. It is the girly man part that cracks me up. Tell you what, you will not find any man in the world that played or plays Soccer at the college or pro level that was not a better athlete then you ever were at your young age.
I agree.

I am not a soccer fan......but, it is a tuff game.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:37 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
If Ann Coulter wants to alienate her potential viewers/supporters by making asinine statements about the level of patriotism being a fan (or not) of a sport indicates, let her. Just proves that the idiot Right is just as lame as the idiot Left.

I bet she likes things that come from France, like makup and wine. (unless she sticks to her ethics and just buys Chinese products from a good American company like Walmart).

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I just looked it up on Wiki. I guess this is what happens when television programming gets money from the state instead of private donations or advertising dollars. Probably nice at Christmas watching the yule log, but otherwise sounds pretty boring.
How is it different from PBS? Norwegians can just watch the other 500+ cable/satellite channels they get. Or entertain themselves on their cheaper, faster, more widespread wi-fi.

Norwegians have more options to NRK than Americans do to PBS.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
ROFL! Under that definition I am looking forward to the next gold medalist in the latest Olympic sports of hopscotch and double dutch.

Your contrived definition of what constitutes a "sport" is rather vague, to say the least.
It's not my personal definition. Look it up yourself. But if you object, I would ask that you present an alternative. What makes a sport in your eyes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.