Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 08:12 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,177,347 times

Advertisements

Nothing. How can a person act like a color? How silly.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:14 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole_inCA View Post
I've heard it many times, from all different racial groups.

Sadly, I think this is the real reason why there's so much hostility between blacks and whites. Blacks are largely viewed through one lens, while whites are viewed as multi-dimensional.
IMO.....you can thank other blacks for that view.

Where I live there are no blacks......we like it that way.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:15 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,411,086 times
means nothing to me

that expression basically means acting fake... you can apply it to anyone

once upon a time some goofy azz white guy got home from work one day and caught his suburban teenybop daughter listening to "black" music and to add insult to his injury he discovered that she was speaking strangely. she developed this psuedo countryish accent and was using a bunch of slang words. the dad became fed up and finally told her to "stop acting black"

so basically "acting black" is basically white people doing a bad imitation of what they think "brothers" act like in the hood.

they watch mtv and movies and try to copy fiction.

malibus most wanted (comedy)
becky "buckwild" from flavor of love fame... (possibly the worst imitation of all time, beyond comedy)

Old 07-07-2014, 08:17 AM

19 posts, read 17,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Nothing. How can a person act like a color? How silly.
It is very silly, but many people actually believe that blacks are one group, who only engage in certain activities. The real problem is, blacks are not viewed as individuals.

I really dislike it when people speak about the "black community" as if everyone is the same or incapable of having various experiences and interests.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:17 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,037,809 times
Quote:
It's troubling to me, because I don't like being viewed through a one dimensional lens. At the end of the day, I simply live my life, but it can get really annoying when people become uncomfortable because I don't fit their narrow definition of a black person.
I feel the exact same way and I'm a white guy, this isn't exactly something special or exclusive to the black race.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:18 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
"Acting Black" to hear many Black people say it is acting like poor white trash: hating education, not talking proper, having a bunch of kids by different women, getting drunk and high, starting trouble, basically "playing the fool". Kinda like us "Irish" of 150 years ago.
I guess none of my black friends acted black then.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post

I don't agree. I attended a predominately white H.S. and university and was often told by the whites students that I wasn't black enough. I was happy that Aisha Tyler (a black female comedian/actress), who also attended mostly white schools pointed out that many of her white classmates disliked her as well, because she wasn't "black enough."

Old 07-07-2014, 08:21 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,411,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post

yet, a segment of your people always want to come around us and "act black"

i'm guessing you dont have a churchs chicken, jack in the box, or foot locker/champs/athletesfoot/footaction anywhere near you

Old 07-07-2014, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I feel the exact same way and I'm a white guy, this isn't exactly something special or exclusive to the black race.
Have you ever been asked, "Why do you like that sort of music, or why do speak in that manner, -you sound so (fill in the blank)." It's frustrating at times, because I'm not trying to be anyone other than myself.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:28 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
I've heard it many times, from all different racial groups.

Sadly, I think this is the real reason why there's so much hostility between blacks and whites. Blacks are largely viewed through one lens, while whites are viewed as multi-dimensional.
It depends on who's viewing. You don't think it goes the other way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies