Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 05:09 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,846,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin Ma View Post
any but especially urban, near a downtown center

isn't this a lot more fun than accusing each other of being KKK members? I think so. lol
No. I had more laughs with the other argument. Although I wish somebody would bring back the Gville vs Cola vs Chas and the DOT threads. Those were hilarious.

Old 07-17-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
lol, you have not listed a specific bridge, and of course you listed Paris and Venice which I guess we are just to assume means they are better bridges simply b/c they are in Paris and Venice. lol You are a Europhile it sounds like.

I said it was one of the best if not the best. I believe the bridge has won civil engineering awards and is recognized as being one of the best.
Hudson River bridge.

Old 07-17-2014, 05:15 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,410,549 times
Ok. For 1 day, the Ravenel Bridge is a pedestrian ONLY bridge....and about 50,000 people cross over it: Cooper River Bridge Run

So....there you go. A pedestrian-only bridge, for that day, with 50,000 people haha!

Old 07-17-2014, 05:18 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,410,549 times
World's Most Spectacular Pedestrian Bridges - Articles | Travel + Leisure
Top 10 Pedestrian Bridges - Landscape Architects Network

There are 15 or so pedestrian bridges that are FAR better. Just that one in Singapore is 20X more gorgeous! It did list Gvilles as 18th

Old 07-17-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
World's Most Spectacular Pedestrian Bridges - Articles | Travel + Leisure
Top 10 Pedestrian Bridges - Landscape Architects Network

There are 15 or so pedestrian bridges that are FAR better. Just that one in Singapore is 20X more gorgeous!
You stole what I was just about to post.

Old 07-17-2014, 05:27 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
lol, you have not listed a specific bridge, and of course you listed Paris and Venice which I guess we are just to assume means they are better bridges simply b/c they are in Paris and Venice. lol You are a Europhile it sounds like. Paris and Venice, they just do everything better, right? You have the reverse of what you accused me of.

I said it was one of the best if not the best. I believe the bridge has won civil engineering awards and is recognized as being one of the best.

The one in London is somewhat interesting yet we must admit is is incredibly ugly.
Even the San Diego Harbor Bridge (also pedestrian only) is more of an 'engineering marvel' than the one in Greenville. Some really cool bridges are the Invisible Bridge, the Twist Bridge, and the Henderson Wave Bridge (by the way, it's in Singapore and NOT Europe). Honestly, there are any number of them that are both engineering feats and interesting to look at. My preference are historic like those in Paris and Venice but I can still appreciate the civil engineering necessary to do something like in the aforementioned bridges. Get out of your provincial thinking and you might see there's a lot more out there in the world beyond Greenville.

Old 07-17-2014, 05:28 PM

Quote:
ok, i'll concede 15 just to be cool. We are the 16th best bridge in the world, which also means one of the best in the world. Given you guys are having to go overseas to find bridges, I'm going to say ours is best in the country and North America.

I will also say it is the best in the world over a waterfall and park near a quaint main street with eateries in a medium sized city. Prove me wrong. lol
Did you not see the Hudson River walkway bridgeor Omaha? Greenvilles bridge is just a smaller scale bridge of larger bridges alike.

If you want to go to extremely small, pedestrian bridges then yes I will say it's one of the best, for a downtown also.

Old 07-17-2014, 05:36 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,324,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
Arguing with somebody brings out the best in people. Greenville and Spartanburg are nice places. Would I live there? No. Anybody will defend where they live. I don't like SC much which includes Columbia. When I move I'll probably as you call it "bash" it also. We all have views and opinions based on history or current issues. I'm sure if you weren't a conservative and didn't live in the upstate you'd do the same thing. Do you not remember the DOT issue thread with them fixing 385/85 interchange instead of the two busier more congested interchanges or the Gville vs Cola vs Charleston thread? All those had gotten "out of control" as you call it. And me I have no limits. Freedom of speech to the max.
Fiscally conservative, socially middle of the road. I know it's confusing. I actually have nothing against any city in the state, and don't really understand it when people do. No place is for everyone, that's why we have choices.

Old 07-17-2014, 05:38 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,324,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
//www.city-data.com/forum/green...according.html

It was posted on city data already.
In fairness, Greenville county is more populated.

Old 07-17-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
lol well it isn't extremely small. That is easily one of the biggest pediastrian bridges in the world. I haven't seen one bigger in this country on the east coast and states I've visited in the west.
Well some people ^^ can be delusional sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies