Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 11:06 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,780,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Catcalls are just words. Ignore them and keep walking.
Simples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 11:20 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,761,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
High school is giving more credit that I would. This is more like preschool, ala he/she is looking at me
I just find it disturbing that somehow we have legalized a selective process. I questioned a female coworker one time who complained about feeling uncomfortable about another lower level employee asking her out on a date. She wantted someone to review the sexual harassment policy with the lower level employee. Then i had to point out, are you not dating a supervisor?

Old 07-26-2014, 11:23 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,023,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheseca View Post
I reside in a city/borough where street sexual harassment is a part of life (thankfully, I will be moving very soon). When I encounter sexual harassers, I usually cross the street, if the street harassment becomes too much to deal with. I never confront the man, out of fear that he will behave violently.

Yesterday, Good Morning America aired a segment about a woman who actually confronts her street sexual harassers, to explain why they should cease engaging in such disrespectful behavior (she has a youtube page, I'll include the videos below).

I wonder why respectful/nice guys rarely (if ever) intervene when they witness street sexual harassers in action?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSRFMsBEIEI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FalsMnpqGM0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCbKtp-xtik

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl68fIrDjA4

There are many more videos on her site...
Isn't that one of the charms of urban living?

Old 07-26-2014, 11:26 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,180,913 times
Who gives a rip. It's called freedom of speech. Unless someone actually physically touches another person....... I don't care.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:31 AM

174 posts, read 245,257 times
This woman is really annoying...still have not seen a photo of her. But most of the men she "interviews" appear to be respectful, giving her compliments.

Yes, I agree, don't do it in a disrespectful way. But this annoying lady is a reminder of why I prefer dating women from outside the U.S. (South America, Europe, etc.). Far less of B.S. and better sex/loving/affection, etc.

Old 07-26-2014, 12:07 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,643,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheseca View Post
I reside in a city/borough where street sexual harassment is a part of life (thankfully, I will be moving very soon). When I encounter sexual harassers, I usually cross the street, if the street harassment becomes too much to deal with. I never confront the man, out of fear that he will behave violently.

Yesterday, Good Morning America aired a segment about a woman who actually confronts her street sexual harassers, to explain why they should cease engaging in such disrespectful behavior (she has a youtube page, I'll include the videos below).

I wonder why respectful/nice guys rarely (if ever) intervene when they witness street sexual harassers in action?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSRFMsBEIEI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FalsMnpqGM0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCbKtp-xtik

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl68fIrDjA4

There are many more videos on her site...
I do. I won't tolerate that nonsense. Especially when it gets directed at MY lady, which has happened. How I react depends mainly on one particular thing. Am I armed..or not. If I am armed, I don't engage. Not worth it. I just pull her close and make the inference crystal clear. Don't push it!! If I'm not armed, I might be tempted to push some punks face through a brick wall.

This behavior makes my teeth grind. Its just a peeve. One of my big ones. On the street, in the workplace, wherever. Speaking out about it got me canned on a long term job. The girl was a precious friend of mine but the guy was a department director. He had a lot of pull, and the directorship tacitly condones this behavior. Perks of the job, they call it.

One fine day though, I will see that clown on the street. Then, damn the torpedoes, its game on!

Old 07-26-2014, 12:15 PM

877 posts, read 1,317,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking_Good View Post
This woman is really annoying...still have not seen a photo of her. But most of the men she "interviews" appear to be respectful, giving her compliments.

Yes, I agree, don't do it in a disrespectful way. But this annoying lady is a reminder of why I prefer dating women from outside the U.S. (South America, Europe, etc.). Far less of B.S. and better sex/loving/affection, etc.
Guys who say they prefer foreign women are normally the problem, so they prey on women they can barely communicate with but who will play deaf, dumb and stupid for them

Sorry, but there's a huge gray area and very little bs for people who have common sense

Old 07-26-2014, 12:21 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,690,723 times
So the way I read the OP's complaint, its that men need to speak up for and defend women against other men making comments about them while fully recognizing that women are their equals and completely capable of speaking up for themselves? This is the world that the feminists wanted, get used to it sister.

As others have mentioned, the degree to which a woman is offended by such behavior often seems to depend greatly upon the attractiveness of said offender.

A bald 5'5 fat guy with bad teeth can use the same cheesy pickup line as the 6'2, well built stud with the dreamy eyes and the same comments will likely be taken completely differently.

Old 07-26-2014, 01:09 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,180,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
So the way I read the OP's complaint, its that men need to speak up for and defend women against other men making comments about them while fully recognizing that women are their equals and completely capable of speaking up for themselves? This is the world that the feminists wanted, get used to it sister.

As others have mentioned, the degree to which a woman is offended by such behavior often seems to depend greatly upon the attractiveness of said offender.

A bald 5'5 fat guy with bad teeth can use the same cheesy pickup line as the 6'2, well built stud with the dreamy eyes and the same comments will likely be taken completely differently.
Stop with all this common sense stuff at once. Your realistic views and basic logic are not welcome in this society anymore.

Old 07-26-2014, 01:48 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,643,127 times
Not always true. I've had guys make lewd comments about my lady when she's in faded jeans and a sweater. And when it was quite obvious we were together. These clowns who do this are just punks. Hey, what's the older guy gonna do? Haha, let's see if we can make him squirm. Yea....do that. If you have a death wish, push it. Try laying hands on, see what the gray wolf does.

Like I said...punks act like this. How a woman is dressed matters a fart in a high wind. You think she's dressed that way for you? Inviting boorish behavior? Counting on it even? Best review that outlook. My lady can dress to kill. And even at 52 is stone cold HOT. When she dresses like that, she's on her way to me. Some stupid punk at the store where she stops to get smokes mouthing off is neither invited nor welcome to comment. She's looking good for ME, not some wannabe. That is probably the case with most women who draw attention by how they are dressed.

Ho?! Umm yea... use that word on MY lady....see what happens. What an ignorant outlook. Sexy clothes means fair game? WTFE

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-27-2014 at 09:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies