Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 07:26 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Meh rocks and spears for me.

You sir, are a true survivalist.

A rabbit with a javelin, is skills.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:29 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,913,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I don't think it should be.

However, the following statement is untrue.

"eliminate legality and travel issues between states "

My uncle hunts and would would like to use a suppressor, which is illegal in IL, but not in KY. The result is he bow hunts so as to not scare off the other animals as much.
You can't transport an NFA item across state lines without prior BATFE approval. If I had a full auto gun or suppressor and wanted to shoot at the range in Memphis, I'd have to file a form with the ATF and wait months on their response to travel 10 miles.

Old 08-03-2014, 04:24 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,743,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Up close and personal with a bow, is real hunting. If you can get close enough to harvest an animal with a bow, you did something.

I call gun hunting, going to the grocery store.
And just like the grocery store their are cougars stalking prey..

Old 08-03-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The issue is even traveling between states. I don't know the specifics about traveling with a suppressor but you can end up in jail for having certain types of ammunition in some states getting from point A to point B if that state is along your route of travel.

They can't stop you from traveling through a state with a weapon as long as it's properly secured but even that has hazards. There was a guy traveling from Utah to PA with a stop in NJ. He checked his gun in Utah. The plane was late getting to NJ and they offered him a bus, his bags never got on the buse so he got off and collected his bags. He spent the night at a hotel and the next day when he went to check his gun they arrested him. I think he spent 2 weeks in jail but they eventually dropped the charges. It took him like 2 or 3 years to get his gun back.

This menagerie of laws needs to be addressed.
The Firearm Owners Protection Act safe passage provision was meant to protect us from this BS...Damn act always ban new machine guns..Was not worth it...

Old 08-03-2014, 07:00 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,937,526 times
If firearm and government are in the same sentence, it isn't going to turn out well...

Old 08-03-2014, 07:03 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
You can't transport an NFA item across state lines without prior BATFE approval. If I had a full auto gun or suppressor and wanted to shoot at the range in Memphis, I'd have to file a form with the ATF and wait months on their response to travel 10 miles.
Ah, okay.

Old 08-03-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
If firearm and government are in the same sentence, it isn't going to turn out well...
If anything has the world government in it, it never ends well.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:18 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,944,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Up close and personal with a bow, is real hunting. If you can get close enough to harvest an animal with a bow, you did something.

I call gun hunting, going to the grocery store.
Very true. I did the sit in a tree stand and shot the ducks in a barrel, oh meant shot my quota of deer each year, thing and found it was not really hunting, so I went the black powder route for a while then moved onto bow hunting. What I found is I had the land to myself, the deer were not all nervous has heck and I could either sit in a stand or simply find a good spot to wait for them then close the distance if needed. Yes, it takes a lot more skill, one has to actually learn true hunting skills to get close enough, if not in a stand, to get a good shot on the animal and getting the quota of deer became far more of challenge, which was what I was looking for. Do you use a compound, recurve, or long bow? I prefer the last two, again more for tradition, even though they take longer to master and build up the muscle memory thing, plus compounds require a press to simply change string,s not a thing one would want to drag around if say one had to bug out of dodge.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:37 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Actually since most predators are gone we must hunt some species, such as deer, to keep the population healthy, the alternative is they over produce and many starve to death during the winter months. Some animals, such as hogs, which by the way are not a native species, are a pest in much of the Nation, her in Texas one does not need any permits to hunt them because of their destructive nature, 10-20 hogs can destroy a farms field in one night. Most animals that are shot are eaten, yes trophies are also taken but I do not personally know anyone that does not eat the animals they shoot or share it with those that could use the meat.
When the deer become overpopulated in MD or PA the farmers pay you $10 for every deer you kill on their property.
When the coyotes become a problem in Utah the state pays you $50 for every coyote you kill in the state.
When hogs become overpopulated in TX the farmers charge you $300 for every hog you kill on their property.

LOL

Old 08-04-2014, 12:26 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,944,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
When the deer become overpopulated in MD or PA the farmers pay you $10 for every deer you kill on their property.
When the coyotes become a problem in Utah the state pays you $50 for every coyote you kill in the state.
When hogs become overpopulated in TX the farmers charge you $300 for every hog you kill on their property.

LOL
Then they are charging to make money, most people would not pay money to do it when they can do it for free. I know of no farmers or ranchers charging to shoot hogs, in fact most are happy to let you come in a remove a major pest. Went on one last year in a corn field at night we killed over 45 hogs in the span of a few minutes, but that was after the same bunch had destroyed two of the farmers fields in as many nights, they leave nearly nothing behind. We butchered every one of them and any meat not claimed by the hunters and locals was donated to a food pantry for the poor. I can assure you we barely made a dent in their population, in fact they have already had two more hunts in the area since I was out there and they still have problems with them, hogs breed fast, are smart and have no predators other then man, a nasty combo for a farmer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies