Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 01:16 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,056,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Then they are charging to make money, most people would not pay money to do it when they can do it for free. I know of no farmers or ranchers charging to shoot hogs, in fact most are happy to let you come in a remove a major pest. Went on one last year in a corn field at night we killed over 45 hogs in the span of a few minutes, but that was after the same bunch had destroyed two of the farmers fields in as many nights, they leave nearly nothing behind. We butchered every one of them and any meat not claimed by the hunters and locals was donated to a food pantry for the poor. I can assure you we barely made a dent in their population, in fact they have already had two more hunts in the area since I was out there and they still have problems with them, hogs breed fast, are smart and have no predators other then man, a nasty combo for a farmer.
Here, they block access to hunters yet still sell tags to them. Then, they bring in high priced Fed workers (contractors) to shoot the hogs. It's bassackwards. I don't believe they save the meat. It was too much on a truck and it set all day so it had to have spoiled.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:43 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Here, they block access to hunters yet still sell tags to them. Then, they bring in high priced Fed workers (contractors) to shoot the hogs. It's bassackwards. I don't believe they save the meat. It was too much on a truck and it set all day so it had to have spoiled.
Well you are in California, so that comes as no surprise. I lived there for a while, the second my contract ended I burned rubber leaving the insanity behind, pretty state in places but far too many nut jobs for my taste and my God they tax you for Everything, I had to ask what some of the taxes on my check were even for.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:32 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
Funny how the leftist can not make the case on why supporessors should be NFA item.
Why would we, I have no problem with suppressors, in fact there are some places it should be a requirement.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:35 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
This raise a great question as to why we should put moronic regulations and taxes on basic safety devices.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...-item/wVgXbqP8

Make the case on why sound suppressors should stay NFA items.
The NFA of 1934 was not about gun control. By law it could not be, nor was it about safety. It was sold solely on the basis of revenue generation, which is why it was allowed/allocated as a function of the treasury department.

The real reason is even more obscene. After prohibition ended in 1933, a large number of federal employees of the treasury department (so-called "revenurers" who enforced prohibition) had no job function. The very acts they were employed to enforce were now legal. Now, the goverment is never one to let employees go just because they were unnecessary. So, what to do with redundant law enforcement? Create a new law, one that took manpower to enforce. Hence the National Firearms Act of 1934 came into being-as a jobs program for useless government manpower.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:41 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Up close and personal with a bow, is real hunting. If you can get close enough to harvest an animal with a bow, you did something.

I call gun hunting, going to the grocery store.
If you can harvest waterfowl with a bow, you really have done something.

Old 08-04-2014, 04:43 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,119,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I don't know the specifics about traveling with a suppressor...

They can't stop you from traveling through a state with a weapon as long as it's properly secured...
NFA items are treated differently from other firearms. The BATFE must be notified and approve of the transfer of an NFA item across state lines. It doesn't matter if you're not selling it or any of that - if it moves to a different state, even if it's only day trip, they are to be notified. And again on the return trip, if you're bringing the item home.

Ask Foghorn: Legal Considerations for Traveling with a Silencer? | The Truth About Guns

Unless you're moving your residence or selling the item, I don't see taking a suppressor to another state as being worth the hassle.

Old 08-04-2014, 05:03 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,743,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
The NFA of 1934 was not about gun control. By law it could not be, nor was it about safety. It was sold solely on the basis of revenue generation, which is why it was allowed/allocated as a function of the treasury department.

The real reason is even more obscene. After prohibition ended in 1933, a large number of federal employees of the treasury department (so-called "revenurers" who enforced prohibition) had no job function. The very acts they were employed to enforce were now legal. Now, the goverment is never one to let employees go just because they were unnecessary. So, what to do with redundant law enforcement? Create a new law, one that took manpower to enforce. Hence the National Firearms Act of 1934 came into being-as a jobs program for useless government manpower.
In hindsight we should have paid them to do nothing, It would be cheaper and less costly of our liberty.

Isn`t the National Firearms Act of 1934 a violation of the Supreme court ruling of Bailey v. Drexel Furniture Co?

"Punitive tax rates cannot be used for the primary purpose of enacting regulatory policy"?

But with the NFA we have a $200 tax on a twenty-dollar STEN gun. A $200 tax on a ten-dollar auto-sear. A $200 tax on a two-dollar piece of wood. And a $200 tax on a one-dollar soda bottle adaptor. No decent person dares fight it in court, because you have to risk spending life in prison if you lose. Then the 1986 ban come sin, and we get more case law. Three different judges rule that since the government refuses to administer the paperwork and collect the tax on post-May 19,1986 machine guns, the whole NFA is null and void.

Government ignores that ruling, too.

Then the Supreme Court hands us the Lopez case. Suddenly, the feds can't claim everything on earth falls under interstate commerce. And finally, we get Bownds, where the Court ruled the law was now irrelevant to a man who made his own STEN guns and kept them in one state.

"So now the feds are put in a box, and the only way out is to say 'Yeah, okay, all this stuff really is unconstitutional, sorry about everything, we'll go home now.' Only they don't. Instead, they ignore the rulings. They pass more bans and they issue their tax agents more surveillance aircraft and more machine guns. The tax agents put on more ninja suits and black ski masks, and trash more people's houses and slam more pregnant wives up against the wall and stomp more cats to death and plant more evidence and throw more people in prison.

Old 08-04-2014, 05:28 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Why would we, I have no problem with suppressors, in fact there are some places it should be a requirement.
Kudos to you for having common sense, but your party adamantly disagrees with you. They are no more going to support legalization of suppressors than a Saudi cleric is going to approve of Valentine's day.

Valentine’s Day is banned by the religious police in Saudi Arabia

Old 08-04-2014, 06:15 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,743,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Kudos to you for having common sense, but your party adamantly disagrees with you. They are no more going to support legalization of suppressors than a Saudi cleric is going to approve of Valentine's day.

Valentine’s Day is banned by the religious police in Saudi Arabia

If I could rep you ten times...I would.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:46 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I like my Outback. I like it a lot. It's as if it is an extension of my mind, body and soul. I always have to change up my shots, because I do this quite often if not.

I just wish it were more quiet. I need a suppressor for my bow...
Robin Hoods are expensive! When I got my first one I was sort of excited. Second one the same day made me realize I just trashed $20 in carbon arrows!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies