Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 07:13 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,165,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
First, he did very publicly lobby the GOP for their votes. Remember that big televised meeting when Jon McCain brought that stack of papers and Obama scolded him for essentially bringing a prop for the cameras? That was about Obamacare.

Second, reaching out to the Republicans (who from the very beginning, have openly scorned the idea of agreeing with Obama about anything) doesn't enter into it.

Third, without him, it doesn't get passed. Obama couldn't get Harry Reid to dump the filibuster to get a jobs bill passed that might have saved the House Democrats and yet he was able to ram Obamacare through, after the GOP got hold of and framed the issue to their liking (remember all those angry town hall meetings and lies about death panels?), after the left in his own party griped about losing the public option without any input from them, and after the polls made clear that passing it wasn't going to be popular. If this had been left up to the decidedly risk-averse members of Congress, this thing never would have seen the light of day. This was all Obama.

Didn't show any leadership? I don't think there's been legislation in recent history that's required this much arm-twisting from a President just to get passed. Unless something odd and unexpected happens in the midterms, the ACA will go down in history has his one landmark piece of legislation and he was indispensable in making it happen.
In the OP, I gave Obama credit for Obamacare, when I probably shouldn't have done that. Liberals insisted that we discuss Obamacare, so I agreed to have that discussion. Obamacare is definitely his landmark piece of legislation. But I disagree with you that Barack Obama was the leadership behind its passage. All he did was listen to what Democrats in Congress were telling him. If Democrats said Plan A wouldn't pass, then Barack agreed to go with Plan B. That's not leadership in my view. That's merely listening to the reality on the ground and deciding if its a workable option. There's no evidence that i've seen so far that suggests that Obama actually exerted leadership to get Obamacare passed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Let's face it, this thread was never intended to be anything more that a Republican circle jerk from the onset, so why should we even try to address the question that was asked.

Let's put the shoe on the other foot...........what did George W Bush ever do good for the country. He screwed it so bad no other Republican has been able to come close to getting elected as President since. Yeah, old George W.......now THERE was a President we can all be proud of !

You sore losers still can't accept that the best Republican candidate you could put up against Obama lost and lost badly. Get over it, and let's see how well you do in 2016.

Don
Can you answer the OP, or not? It's a simple question.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
define leadership.

The term seems so simple yet everyone clearly disagrees on what it means so define it so that we have a clear consensus on what you mean.
If he exerted leadership, then it should define itself. Tell us what he's done in the form of leadership. It should be easy to answer if you believe he's done something in that regard.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:22 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,687,049 times
So another one of these threads that proves that President Obama is not only a ruthless dictator who has single-handedly taken over the entire health care system, nationalized our auto industry, crushed religious liberty, and destroyed Americans' all-but-universal commitment to prevent same-sex marriage, but he is also incompetent, ineffectual, and has done absolutely nothing in the years he's been in office.

Don't you guys ever get bored listening to yourselves?

Old 08-04-2014, 07:23 AM

15,656 posts, read 10,432,407 times
Obama's only show of leadership was when he gave the go ahead to get Bin Laden as OP mentioned. Making that call took some guts and ya have to give credit when due.

Not a liberal and think Obama is a very poor leader for our country, the Congress and the world.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
I can't think of any time Obama stood as our "Leader" (but who wants a King or a dictator?)

I don't understand why conservatives want a powerful male "Leader." My girlfriend, my mother, my father, and my uncle are my leaders. Police can also tell me what to do, and my bosses at work can tell me what to do (when I am at work.) But if any other man is going to be my "Leader", he will need a gun pointed at me, or a sharp knife to my throat.

I consider conservative men's desires to have powerful male "leaders" dangerous. These dreams of powerful male "leaders" remind me of the USSR (f--- that.)
Honestly, I think you're being a bit disingenuous here. No one is looking for a "dictator." But its not unreasonable to expect the President of the United States to offer leadership ability.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
So another one of these threads that proves that President Obama is not only a ruthless dictator who has single-handedly taken over the entire health care system, nationalized our auto industry, crushed religious liberty, and destroyed Americans' all-but-universal commitment to prevent same-sex marriage, but he is also incompetent, ineffectual, and has done absolutely nothing in the years he's been in office.

Don't you guys ever get bored listening to yourselves?
Jack, is that really what you gleaned from the OP? If so, that doesn't really reflect well on you.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Obama has also respectfully led us, and cut GW Bush's deficits and national debt growth rate in 1/2.
http://www.skymachines.com/US-Nation...ental-Term.htm

And Obama has respectfully led us, and slowed the growth of government spending more than any president in the last 60 years.
Who Is The Smallest Government Spender Since Eisenhower? Would You Believe It's Barack Obama? - Forbes
Name, specifically, what Barack Obama did in this regard. You seem to confuse using a pen to sign something with actually whipping it into shape.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Though you took Obamacare off the table, I don't consider it something laudable that he has "lead the way" on, because it is such a boondoggle, and major theft of freedom and privacy, he and the Democrats should forever be condemned for it.
I agree with you completely. The only reason I took it off the table is because I know that liberals would try to derail the thread talking about something that we all already know is a failure in many ways. I didn't want to rehash any of that here.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:41 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,377,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Is this Leadership?;

* I will have the most transparent administration in history.
* The stimulus will fund shovel-ready jobs.
* I am focused like a laser on creating jobs.
* The IRS is not targeting anyone.
* It was a spontaneous riot about a movie.
* If I had a son.
* I will put an end to the type of politics that "breeds division, conflict and cynicism".
* You didn't build that!
* I will restore trust in Government.
* The public will have 5 days to look at every bill that lands on my desk
* It's not my red line - it is the world's red line.
* Whistle blowers will be protected in my administration.
* I am not spying on American citizens.
* Obama Care will be good for America.
* You can keep your family doctor.
* Premiums will be lowered by $2500.
* If you like it, you can keep your current healthcare plan.
* It's just like shopping at Amazon.

* I found out about it in the news.
* I knew nothing about "Fast and Furious" gunrunning to Mexican drug cartels.
* I knew nothing about IRS targeting conservative groups.
* I knew nothing about what happened in Benghazi.

And the biggest lie of all:
"I, Barrack Hussein 0bama, pledge to preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States of America."
And the list grows.....

* If you like your Obamacare Subsidy, you can keep it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies