Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 10:29 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,632,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Some of us are sick of the thought police where people have freedom so long it meets their approval. I prefer freedom of association myself. In short, if I walk into a business and I don't like their policy, I'll leave. Simple. DONE.
Like what the blacks did in the 60s?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 10:55 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,180,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover View Post
and establishments accepting coupons are discriminating against people who don't own scissors.
Once again, people who don't own scissors aren't a protected class under Federal law.

Why do so many have so much difficulty with nuance?

Old 08-05-2014, 10:59 AM

9,884 posts, read 11,030,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
No. It's Federal law.... has nothing to do with what I approve-- or what you approve of-- and don't. This isn't up to the whim of anyone.

The simple question is, is this discriminatory or not?
If you want to get very picky about it, ANY discount is discriminatory against those who do not qualify.
Yes, even the senior or military discount that I am eligible for!
Or the 4 to 6 PM "happy hour" in a tavern. If I work swing shift, I can't go to that happy hour, so it discriminates against me. MY "happy hour" would have to be from midnight to 2 AM.
EVERYTHING "discriminates" against somebody.
I think I have mentioned that I am left handed and have defective color perception. How many thing can you think of that are designed and built specifically for right handed people? (yes, some do have left handed variants). How much can you think of that is color coded? (traffic lights are color compensated, and the positions are standard.)
Isn't color coding discrimination?
IMO, in this instance, the business owner is exercising her absolute RIGHT to run her business as she sees fit.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
If you want to get very picky about it, ANY discount is discriminatory against those who do not qualify.
Yes, even the senior or military discount that I am eligible for!
Or the 4 to 6 PM "happy hour" in a tavern. If I work swing shift, I can't go to that happy hour, so it discriminates against me. MY "happy hour" would have to be from midnight to 2 AM.
EVERYTHING "discriminates" against somebody.
I think I have mentioned that I am left handed and have defective color perception. How many thing can you think of that are designed and built specifically for right handed people? (yes, some do have left handed variants). How much can you think of that is color coded? (traffic lights are color compensated, and the positions are standard.)
Isn't color coding discrimination?
IMO, in this instance, the business owner is exercising her absolute RIGHT to run her business as she sees fit.
Except she doesn't have that RIGHT. Discrimination based on race, gender, and religion are against Federal law. You can't run a business for "whites only" if you see fit. The question here is: Does this amount to Religious Discrimination according to the law.

I don't know where you guys get the idea that business owners have the RIGHT to do what ever they want-- Especially when most of you will simultaneously argue that over-regulation is killing business.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:43 PM

9,884 posts, read 11,030,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Except she doesn't have that RIGHT. Discrimination based on race, gender, and religion are against Federal law. You can't run a business for "whites only" if you see fit. The question here is: Does this amount to Religious Discrimination according to the law.

I don't know where you guys get the idea that business owners have the RIGHT to do what ever they want-- Especially when most of you will simultaneously argue that over-regulation is killing business.
We have the idea that a businessperson SHOULD have the right to run their business as they see fit. Obviously, by law, they DO NOT! THAT, in our opinion, is a violation of THEIR rights, to grant a right to another group or person.
Now, having said that, please prove that giving a discount for praying is religious discrimination, assuming she gives the discount to ANYBODY who appears to pray before eating. It would appear that if the customer bows his head, and mutters "All hail the Great Spaghetti Monster, and thank him for this food!" or an Atheist bows his head and mutters "I thank ME for this food!" that qualifies for the discount.
THAT, IMO, is not religious discrimination. ANYBODY can get the discount, just bow your head and thank somebody or something. If it is available to EVERYBODY, there is no discrimination!
However, if the discount was only available to Catholics, or Southern Baptists or Hutterites or whatever, then MAYBE discrimination could be claimed.
However, there is that troublesome "free exercise" clause of the First Amendment. We must be VERY careful not to trample on that!

Old 08-05-2014, 01:42 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,299,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
My question on the matter is, "What constitutes an act of prayer that qualifies?"

Must one place the palms of the hands together in front of one's chest, bow the head, close the eyes, and speak the prayer aloud? May one pray silently with hands in lap, head unbowed, eyes open?

Must the prayer be to the Christian Deity?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
...assuming she gives the discount to ANYBODY who appears to pray before eating. It would appear that if the customer bows his head, and mutters "All hail the Great Spaghetti Monster, and thank him for this food!" or an Atheist bows his head and mutters "I thank ME for this food!" that qualifies for the discount.

Rather than making an assumption, that's what I'm asking.

Not all sects pray in the same way, or to the same deity. So just what IS an acceptable public prayer to the restaurant owner?

Old 08-05-2014, 02:11 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,277,397 times
Does a stor discriminate against people by offering discounts if customers have coupons? I don't get the sunday paper. Maybe Joe can't afford the sunday paper? So we don't get the same discounts others get simply because they have a coupon. What about those shopper cards? I buy the same product Dave bought. He has a card and I don't yet he gets a discount. Is this discrimination?
I don't think so. I think it is within a business owners rights. Don't like it? Go some where that operates the way you do like.

Old 08-05-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Does a stor discriminate against people by offering discounts if customers have coupons? I don't get the sunday paper. Maybe Joe can't afford the sunday paper? So we don't get the same discounts others get simply because they have a coupon. What about those shopper cards? I buy the same product Dave bought. He has a card and I don't yet he gets a discount. Is this discrimination?
I don't think so. I think it is within a business owners rights. Don't like it? Go some where that operates the way you do like.
Wow.

Are people who don't get the paper a protected class? It's not discrimination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies