Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 08:22 AM

7,349 posts, read 6,988,283 times

Advertisements

I think it's cool to see some one pray.
It means they have accountability and respect .
I have on occasion, bought their dinner ,anonymously .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 08:22 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,040,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I didn't say it was. Don't put your angry, spittle filled words in my mouth.

Nobody is putting words in your mouth.

People may pray where and when they please. Of course, this is their right. It has nothing to do with being offended-- although judging by your angry screed you're offended by something.

The only thing that "offends" me is people getting offended and getting their panties in a wad over dumb stuff like this!

It has to do with Federally protected rights. If an Atheist asked for the discount, and, explained that they don't believe in prayer, should they also receive it? I think if they do-- there is no problem here. If they are prohibited from the discount due to their religious beliefs there is a problem.

If they're exhibiting some sort of prayer based on the owner's policy, why shouldn't they get it? If they're not, then no they shouldn't get it.

I think it's a fascinating legal and ethical question... I guess some here only know how to respond with enragement.
Some of us are sick of the thought police where people have freedom so long it meets their approval. I prefer freedom of association myself. In short, if I walk into a business and I don't like their policy, I'll leave. Simple. DONE.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:04 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,192,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Some of us are sick of the thought police where people have freedom so long it meets their approval. I prefer freedom of association myself. In short, if I walk into a business and I don't like their policy, I'll leave. Simple. DONE.
No. It's Federal law.... has nothing to do with what I approve-- or what you approve of-- and don't. This isn't up to the whim of anyone.

The simple question is, is this discriminatory or not?

Old 08-05-2014, 09:04 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,040,746 times
Quote:
No. It's Federal law.... has nothing to do with what I approve-- or what you approve of-- and don't. This isn't up to the whim of anyone.

The simple question is, is this discriminatory or not?

No.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:22 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,789,620 times
and establishments accepting coupons are discriminating against people who don't own scissors.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:40 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,757,303 times
Based on the owner's FB page, she is a pretty hard core liberal and doesn't appear to be any specific faith.

She's getting to see what happens when liberals eat one of their own. Too bad, it looks like her restaurant is pretty good and uses organic, non GMO foods. We could use more restaurants like that. But she has offended her fellow liberals, therefor she must be driven out of business.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:42 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,285,782 times
This has to be the most random discount I have ever heard of. The owner herself says that not everyone praying will get a discount, that it is not limited to any denomination, or even has to be religious at all. Basically it's like saying that some people who wear a blue shirt may, if the owner feels like it, get a discount. Senior discounts have a clear definition, after a specific age everyone gets the discount, not after a specific age some people will get the senior discount.

To me it seems like more of a lottery than a discount, but if that is what the owner wants so be it. It's her store, and as long as she is not refusing service to specific people, she should be allowed to offer discounts.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:50 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,450,638 times
I'm curious if I started a fire in the middle of my table one evening (like on a plate or something safe) and started chanting, would I get a 15% discount?

The night is dark and full of terrors

Quote:
Why one restaurant gives 15-percent prayer discount - CSMonitor.com

Would the restaurant accept the Jewish Motzi as public prayer?
What about a Muslim change of thanks to Allah?
If an Atheist simply showed appreciation, would that be good enough?

I think this restaurant owner should be able to do as she pleases-- and as publicity obviously this policy is worth its weight in gold.

However is it fair to non-believers? To those who prefer to keep their prayer private? Is it wise to mix business and religion?

As a business owner, I don't mix religion or politics with business. Everyone's money is green.

Thoughts?

Old 08-05-2014, 09:54 AM

25,231 posts, read 17,005,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Based on the owner's FB page, she is a pretty hard core liberal and doesn't appear to be any specific faith.

She's getting to see what happens when liberals eat one of their own. Too bad, it looks like her restaurant is pretty good and uses organic, non GMO foods. We could use more restaurants like that. But she has offended her fellow liberals, therefor she must be driven out of business.
I seriously doubt most Liberals care one way or the other. Her business will do just fine.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:27 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,045,795 times
Quote:
Is it wise to mix business and religion?

As a business owner, I don't mix religion or politics with business. Everyone's money is green.

Thoughts?
You are a wise man. It's always best to not alienate anyone and any stance you take will leave someone feeling slighted. When I see Christian businesses post the little fish thingy I always wonder if they realize that they are sending some segment of customers away. Of course the question is if the number they lose is greater than the number they attract. My guess is no. I know for me, when i see a reference to any religion in an advertisement, I continue on to the next business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies