Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2014, 11:59 AM

201 posts, read 148,497 times

Advertisements

Most of these threads are taken up by finger pointing and name calling by Conservatives against Liberals and Liberal against Conservatives. I am an Independent voter but I will be voting Republican in the November elections and I will attempt to explain why:

Our government is currently serving neither the liberal nor the conservative. It is a non-functioning entity in its current form. I will go so far though as to place the blame for most of the gridlock on the back of one Harry Reid.

Presently, we have a liberal Democrat President and a liberal Democrat Senate. Harry Reid's Senate has been and is the most ineffective and do-nothing Senate in history. Harry Reid is Obama's puppet. Harry Reid refuses to acknowledge that the President's actions undermine not only the responsibilities and duties of the Republican House but those of the United States Senate as well, yet he is unopposed to the assumption of the Congress's duties and responsibilities under the Constitution. It is time for Harry Reid to go.

The government does not work when either party is in complete control of both houses of Congress and the Presidency. In this scenario, a large segment of the population has no voice. It's like the ACA tax. This tax was imposed by the Democrats and the President against the wills of the majority of the American public. A laundry list of lies were espoused in order to lessen the outcry of the American people. The tax was a totally PARTISAN tax.

The ACA is now almost totally unrecognizable as the tax originally passed by the Democrats. There have been 42 changes since it was passed. There are so many special carve-outs exempting certain unions and groups that it is small wonder only 4 million have enrolled.

I will vote Republican in November in effort to remove Harry Reid as Senate Majority Leader and to give Republicans a Senate majority. With Republicans in control of both houses of Congress they should be able to get some of the 372 Bills the House Republicans have already passed and sent over to Harry Reid. Some of these Bills were bipartisan garnering votes by House Democrats as well as House Republicans.

Obama, as head of the Executive Branch can veto any Bill he sees fit to veto. This is the way the government is supposed to function. Since the Senate should in no one's remote imagination have enough votes for a 2/3 veto over-ride, the country should then see some earnest negotiating again happening between Congressional Republicans and Democrats as well as with the President.

Have a good day and thanks for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 12:05 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,973,518 times
I don't want a federal government to "work".

I want it to do almost nothing. I want it to run a military, run the courts for interstate law suits, define the national currency, and have a justice department whose sole purpose is to defend the individual right of the people. And be funded by a retail sales tax.

That's it.

It could manage to do that much.

Further, I'd insist that congressional pay be tied to legislation - every page of law repealed adds 1% to their paychecks. Every page of new law passed, deducts 5% of their pay.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:06 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,947,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unconcerned View Post
Most of these threads are taken up by finger pointing and name calling by Conservatives against Liberals and Liberal against Conservatives. I am an Independent voter but I will be voting Republican in the November elections and I will attempt to explain why:

Our government is currently serving neither the liberal nor the conservative. It is a non-functioning entity in its current form. I will go so far though as to place the blame for most of the gridlock on the back of one Harry Reid.

Presently, we have a liberal Democrat President and a liberal Democrat Senate. Harry Reid's Senate has been and is the most ineffective and do-nothing Senate in history. Harry Reid is Obama's puppet. Harry Reid refuses to acknowledge that the President's actions undermine not only the responsibilities and duties of the Republican House but those of the United States Senate as well, yet he is unopposed to the assumption of the Congress's duties and responsibilities under the Constitution. It is time for Harry Reid to go.

The government does not work when either party is in complete control of both houses of Congress and the Presidency. In this scenario, a large segment of the population has no voice. It's like the ACA tax. This tax was imposed by the Democrats and the President against the wills of the majority of the American public. A laundry list of lies were espoused in order to lessen the outcry of the American people. The tax was a totally PARTISAN tax.

The ACA is now almost totally unrecognizable as the tax originally passed by the Democrats. There have been 42 changes since it was passed. There are so many special carve-outs exempting certain unions and groups that it is small wonder only 4 million have enrolled.

I will vote Republican in November in effort to remove Harry Reid as Senate Majority Leader and to give Republicans a Senate majority. With Republicans in control of both houses of Congress they should be able to get some of the 372 Bills the House Republicans have already passed and sent over to Harry Reid. Some of these Bills were bipartisan garnering votes by House Democrats as well as House Republicans.

Obama, as head of the Executive Branch can veto any Bill he sees fit to veto. This is the way the government is supposed to function. Since the Senate should in no one's remote imagination have enough votes for a 2/3 veto over-ride, the country should then see some earnest negotiating again happening between Congressional Republicans and Democrats as well as with the President.

We can only hope that will work out that way, at this time I am very dubious any such scenario will play out. I have already seen how low both sides are willing to go to further their own agenda and until they prove that they will learn to work together I will expect to see more of the same.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:07 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,947,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post

I want it to do almost nothing. I want it to run a military, run the courts for interstate law suits, define the national currency, and have a justice department whose sole purpose is to defend the individual right of the people. And be funded by a retail sales tax.

That's it.

Further, I'd insist that congressional pay be tied to legislation - every page of law repealed adds 1% to their paychecks. Every page of new law passed, deducts 5% of their pay.
A fine example of the problem with American Voters and Politics. Thanks for providing it

Old 08-08-2014, 12:42 PM

201 posts, read 148,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post

That's it.

I'm certainly for a smaller and leaner government. We experience far too much by way of government regulation which stymies the economy and hampers jobs creation as well as the ever increasing intervention into our personal lives. I would even say that I would in most cases support the premise that any new spending bill be totally offset by a real cut in spending elsewhere.

Of course I totally object to sending aid to countries who wish to destroy us and our proclivity for being the world's largest gun runner, selling arms to both sides in a conflict.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:52 PM

19,786 posts, read 22,688,984 times
I too am an independent but I will not choose to vote any party until I further investigate the field. We have a very pragmatic and capable Republican congressman (in Montana) running for the Senate open seat, however I will hold my allegiance until I see who the Democrats field as a replacement to Walsh.

I hold national politics with a great deal of disdain (in general). They, meaning most of them, do not hold the interests of the populace. It is too laden with special interests and pork.

Although I hold my nose at Reid, I simply vomit at some of things I have seen the right do. I was once staunch GOP'er, and I really have no clue how they went so far off of track. Honestly I pray for the day that a third party independent group forms, devoid of the bats*it crazy fringe that now invades the Tea Party.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:44 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,973,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
A fine example of the problem with American Voters and Politics. Thanks for providing it
Yes, we resist your tyrannical leftist schemes. That's a problem only for those with dreams of unlimited power swimming in their heads.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:57 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unconcerned View Post

I'm glad someone doesn't believe the lies being told by Democrats and the liberal media. Yes, there are 372 bipartisan bills passed by the house yet democrats and liberal media blame everyone but Harry Reid. Obama supporters just parrot what they are told.

When a Democratic senate and Reid in control the only bills that will go through Harry Reid are bills that Obama totally agrees with, no compromise.

To Obama and this group of Democrats it's Obama's way or no way.

Last edited by petch751; 08-08-2014 at 02:17 PM..

Old 08-08-2014, 02:03 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
Harry Reid's entire mission since 2009 has been twofold: 1) Protect vulnerable Democrats from tough votes and 2) Protect Barack Obama's agenda at all costs.

I agree that Harry Reid is the man most responsible for America's decline in the past 5 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies