Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 04:26 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,794,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
That's great. That's a much better option than "teach it anyway and learn with your child..."

I have retreated a bit since my OP-- And I'm really not talking about unqualified parents teach (although I know they exist).

I am talk about extremists nutbags who use homeschooling as an MO to make sure their kids turn out to be extremist nuts as well-- and hear no dissenting opinion.
No you just changed it up to suit your original premise.

THE FACT is that home schooled kids are better adjusted, and excel in college. They do better on their SAT/ACT and are more likely to graduate.

Lisa Nielsen: The Innovative Educator: 15 Key Facts about Homeschool Kids in College

Colleges love them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 04:28 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times
I do if you count computerized schooling as home school. The kid is a self starter and smart. He has lots of friends both with his age group and the older kids. He loves it and he will go places

Old 08-12-2014, 04:32 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,848,328 times
Quote:
The fact that you think public schools are government indoctrination centers could not more clearly illustrate my point. This is an extremist way of thinking.
Public schools are government regulated. Homeschooling is not.

Old 08-12-2014, 04:34 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,141,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
Public schools are government regulated. Homeschooling is not.
Uhh, yes it is. As a parent who teaches your kid you should certainly know this.

Old 08-12-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Uhh, yes it is. As a parent who teaches your kid you should certainly know this.
Not in the same way. For example: OH Homeschool Law says I can teach Science, but it doesnt specifically say what type of science or what subject matter to teach leaving it up to me, not the government. In public schools, the government, school district, teachers all choose what a child learns, how and by when.

Old 08-12-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
Not in the same way. For example: OH Homeschool Law says I can teach Science, but it doesnt specifically say what type of science or what subject matter to teach leaving it up to me, not the government. In public schools, the government, school district, teachers all choose what a child learns, how and by when.
Does Ohio let you teach creationism as science? What about sorcery? Good grief.

I think school districts and teachers choosing what a child learns, how and by when is known as curriculum... It's pretty common.

Old 08-12-2014, 04:41 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times
Quote:
Do You Know People who Homeschool Who Aren't Nuts?
Yeah. Us.

Quote:
I have never met normal, well adjusted parents who homeschool.
You haven't met many, then, or (as I suspect) ANY.

Most people who blather about how "weird" homeschoolers are don't actually know any. The more vocal they are about how awful homeschooling is, the less likely they are to actually know anyone who does or has done it.

Quote:
Why is the percentage of unbalanced people who homeschool their kids apparently so high?
It's not. You just don't know what you're talking about, that's all.

FTR, our oldest graduated last year and is working in the family business. Our youngest graduated this year, and has enrolled in college for the fall semester. Pretty unbalanced and crazy, eh?

Old 08-12-2014, 04:43 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times
Quote:
I don't have kids.
Must.... withhold.... commenting....

Old 08-12-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Does Ohio let you teach creationism as science? What about sorcery? Good grief.

I think school districts and teachers choosing what a child learns, how and by when is known as curriculum... It's pretty common.
Yes i can teach creationism or sorcery. It doesnt have to be blanketed under a subject. I can just teach it if i want.

Yes they have a curriculum as do i and the law says I have to send an outline of that intended to the super. They dont have freedom within that curriculum like i do because of the school system. I dont have overhead.

Old 08-12-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Yeah. Us.

You haven't met many, then, or (as I suspect) ANY.

Most people who blather about how "weird" homeschoolers are don't actually know any. The more vocal they are about how awful homeschooling is, the less likely they are to actually know anyone who does or has done it.

It's not. You just don't know what you're talking about, that's all.

FTR, our oldest graduated last year and is working in the family business. Our youngest graduated this year, and has enrolled in college for the fall semester. Pretty unbalanced and crazy, eh?
I'm sure you did a great job, and, again, I apologize for being too aggressive with my initial statement.

However there's more than one comment on here about "government indoctrination centers" and being able to teach whatever "science" the parent wishes that are alarming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies