Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 08:23 PM

511 posts, read 491,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I don't have kids.

And I'm sure there are those who make good choices and homeschool appropriately. However, I feel like many homeschoolers I have dealt with a have a screw loose or two...
Maybe you just attract people with screws loose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 08:26 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,141,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flem125 View Post
Maybe you just attract people with screws loose.
Very possible!

Old 08-12-2014, 08:30 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,753,600 times
Quote:
The part of the Prussian Educational system that was imitated was compulsory education. Similar to Japan. I'm the first to admit that our public schools-- especially in places like Texas-- do a lousy job of teaching kids to think, however, they're not a government conspiracy. Sorry.

We do have compulsory education in the US and it is a fact that is was based on the Prussian model. It's not a secret by any means. I actually think that most teachers counteract the original intent because they actually do want to see students learn and succeed despite the historical roots of the system that they work within the confines of.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:38 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,948,315 times
I can honestly say I never knew anyone - certainly no one in my extended family, neighbors, friends, etc. - who was homeschooled.

In order to homeschool, one parent has to be home all day, right? Most parents I know work. Therefore it stands to reason that the vast and overwhelming majority of Americans do not homeschool their children.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:39 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,450,261 times
The person I knew who did homeschool, is not a good example. This child was never around other kids his own age, too much in the home. Know exposure to the big great outside world, which I believe children need.

He was sort of withdrawn around kids his own age.

The way she taught was not the best example either. But I am more then sure there are extremely good examples set by other homeschool Parents. Don't have a problem if the child is actually learning for his age, but when he is 3 years behind, this ought to tell the Parent something is not right.

I do not believe that all homeschool Parents however are capable of doing an exceptional job with their own child. Yes I am sure a lot do, but this cannot be the exception to the rule.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:08 PM

15,534 posts, read 10,510,396 times
In the past, I wasn't very keen on home schooling. But, times have changed. I would strongly consider it if I couldn't afford private school tuition. Public schools are a mess.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:37 PM

4,571 posts, read 3,521,615 times
Yes they are.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:54 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
I knew of 3 families who homeschooled, none for religious reasons. One family did because the boys had problems in school due to Aspergers, two because the parents thought they could do a better job. They all socialized with my kids so they weren't sheltered.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:19 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,504,065 times
Quote:
Just read this tragic and sad article:

Frisco teen charged in parents' deaths 'was very sheltered,' friend says | Dallas Morning News

I have never met normal, well adjusted parents who homeschool. Almost without fail, those I know of who homeschool have an extremist religious or political agenda, are over-controlling nutbars (like in the case of the article), or conspiracy theorists who rail against "government schools..."

Why is the percentage of unbalanced people who homeschool their kids apparently so high?
They are the ones you hear about. I have begun homeschooling recently. I have no extremist religious views, am not a conspiracy theorist (actually the opposite LOL), have nothing against government schools (or private schools), and am not over controlling. You won't find my kid in the news. Unbalanced parents come in every shape and size. I've not kept up with this story today, I need to read more, but "homeschooled" doesn't necessarily equal freak family.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:48 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,504,065 times
Quote:
That's great. That's a much better option than "teach it anyway and learn with your child..."

I have retreated a bit since my OP-- And I'm really not talking about unqualified parents teach (although I know they exist).

I am talk about extremists nutbags who use homeschooling as an MO to make sure their kids turn out to be extremist nuts as well-- and hear no dissenting opinion.
Jumping in, those parents exist. No argument from me. And I am NOT qualified to teach certain subjects (I have a BA, but there is no way I'm going to be able to teach physics, for example). My daughter is starting an online program this year. Certain subjects are going to be difficult for her. I have access to tutors. Many homeschoolers use a co-op system. The reason why you hear more about the nutty homeschoolers is because they are the ones who make the news. For my kid, we are trying this for many reasons. First, she does not do well in a classroom setting (she has been in both public and private all of her life). English, History...any kind of current event, she is so far ahead of her peers she is bored. Science and math classes are more difficult for her, and when she falls behind the anxiety is so horrible she gives up. Another aspect that appeals to us is that she is very much into the arts, travel...things that are hard to fit into a typical school day. Homeschooling is certainly not for everyone, and plenty of people who would like the opportunity simply can't do it because it's impossible for them.

Extremist nutbags are extremist nutbags. Not much you can do about them without taking rights away from other parents who are interested in the education of their own kiddoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies