Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel like a fellow american?
YES 23 67.65%
NO 11 32.35%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 01:43 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,518,650 times

Advertisements

"My fellow American."

Bet you hear that a thousand times. My fellow Americans. I guess its got a nice ring to it. But I got to ask you guys out there, Do you feel like a fellow American? What I really mean is do you feel a kinship with the vast amount of the population of Americans? Do you feel a tie with all America's children whether they are black, white, Christan, Muslim, atheist, gay, strait, from the North East, The South, West Coast, Midwest or a new naturalized immigrant?
Now I know we have a constitution which guides us, A flag, and a somewhat common history.

But I find it hard to believe that I, a New Englander has much in common with someone from Kansas, Louisiana, or Oregon. Now I not saying that we break up the country like some other treads have said. I think I would find that disrespectful to all the men who died in the union army in the civil war to keep this country together. But I honestly can't say that this "My fellow Americans" phrase applies to me, my family, my friends.

So........how about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 01:45 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,995,701 times
It sounds better than "My Fellow Martians."

Old 12-21-2007, 02:03 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,263,907 times
Yes I feel like a "fellow American." Nuff said.

Old 12-21-2007, 07:36 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,572,644 times
One more chance to make my case. Yes, I have been to a number of countries, and I DO recognize a "kinship" with Americans that I don't have with others. But this brings up a good point. What kinship we DO have, such as it is, is VERY different from the "belonging" felt in less complex societies...and this is something we'd be wise to remember. Only our "culture" holds us together--Unlike most nations, we have no ties of race, language, religion, tribe, or ethnicity. It's only the freely-elected sense that we all agree to, to "be" Americans, that forms our identity. That's why our current fascination with multiculturalism is so very worrisome to me. There are getting to be fewer and fewer things we "have to do" to be Americans....no more draft, few real civic duties---most of us don't even want to report for jury duty. And now we're engaged in a heated debate over whether even citizenship ITSELF is really "all that important".....many of us want to extend all its rights, benefits, and privileges to non-citizens. We require no loyalty, no real "respect", nothing really at ALL. We are working overtime to make our borders nothing more than meaningless concepts. If you want to enter legally, that's OK. Want to enter illegally? That's fine, too.

At some point, one has to ask, "just exactly what DOES it mean to be an American, anyway? Is it just a 'feeling'?" I'm not trying to be 'flippant' here, but as a matter of fact, I really do see the time approaching when NO ONE can say exactly what an "American" is, or why anyone would want to be one. And that's sad, but increasingly close to reality. There are all sorts of requirements needed to be an airline pilot, or a plumber, or a neurosurgeon, or a boy scout--but as far as I can tell, almost ANYONE can call himself an American--and who's to argue with him?

Old 12-21-2007, 08:09 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,263,907 times
I don't think this question would have even come up 20 years ago, maybe not even 10. Why then, as we have always been a nation of immigrants?

My answer is that up until recently everyone who came to America was eager to assimilate and become a citizen, and take on the American culture. It's not always the case today.

Old 12-21-2007, 08:30 PM

488 posts, read 1,178,062 times
Yes, I concider myself a fellow American, eventhough I don't think I agree with a lot of folks here on this board, I concider ya'll fellow Americans also. That is the great thing about this country. We can agree to disagree but, we're not out chopping off the heads or stoning those who we don't agree with.

Old 12-21-2007, 09:02 PM

32,623 posts, read 77,718,441 times
No. For those who wish to know why, I'll refer you to "The Gay Thread." As long as social injustice is praised in this nation, I'll continue to feel like an unwanted second-class citizen and be resentful as a result.

Old 12-21-2007, 09:11 PM

9,895 posts, read 10,841,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
"My fellow American."

But I find it hard to believe that I, a New Englander has much in common with someone from Kansas, Louisiana, or Oregon. But I honestly can't say that this "My fellow Americans" phrase applies to me, my family, my friends.

So........how about you?
Well no offense but I would say that makes you sound like what a lot of people in the rest of this great country think, a typical smug, elitist, new england liberal, johnkerry would sound like! Just remember everyday there are thousands of people waiting at the door, just for the opportunity to be included in that group!

Old 12-21-2007, 09:12 PM

32,623 posts, read 77,718,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Well no offense but I would say that makes you sound like what a lot of people in the rest of this great country think, a typical smug, elitist, new england liberal, johnkerry would sound like! Just remember everyday there are thousands of people waiting at the door, just for the opportunity to be included in that group!
Wouldn't that likewise apply the other way around? Wouldn't many folks in those Plains states mentioned by this other member feel the same way about not having a real connection to folks in New England? Would that make them redneck hicks from the Plains? I think not. Your comments were a bit uncalled for, don't you think?

Old 12-21-2007, 09:30 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,148,090 times
Sometimes I feel like I have some of the same characteristics as other American citizens. There are bond to be some commonalities. But, I'm also a member of more than one minority group, so that puts a dent in things. Additionally, I work with quite a few people from countries all over the world. I feel just as united with them as I do with anyone else. I want to just see countries as convenient (and often contrived) political barriers, not really social ones. It is very idealistic but I try to do it in my social interactions with people. We're all citizens of this world, and the more I talk to people from other countries, the more I believe this. I think it was Thomas Paine who said, "My country is the world." That's how I generally feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies