Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2014, 02:34 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,445,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I'm afraid of the police and I'm not a criminal.
You need to study the ways of your enemy then.

I grew up in the ghetto. Someone mentioned folks sleeping below the window line in Ferguson. Been there.

I don't fear the police. I am extremely cognizant of them and their procedures. This is the result of

A. Growing up in the ghetto
B. Earning 2 criminal justice degrees and working in the field for nearly 20 years.

When I have been stopped/questioned by police in my adult life (in relation to another matter or my own actions -breaking traffic laws) not only have I never been detained, arrested, or cited nearly all the officers thank me for knowing how to interact with them (where to hold your hands, line of questioning).

If you're outright "afraid" of police you may want to go to your local police station, pick up a code book of local and state ordinances, and also ask some of the officers to go over how you can best interact with them in situations.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:36 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,991,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
the majority of cops who are in the wrong are caught by OTHER PEOPLE filming them.

dash cams have caught a few cops but if they had cameras on their suits we would see a lot less instances of excessive force.
That is why we have them here, even the police like having them.

9,879 posts, read 8,041,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Matlock solves the case
More like Barney Fife

None of us know the exchange that took place, or whether Brown was the aggressor at all times,

In any case, it will all lie on the results of the autopsy and Gun Ballistics/Forensics, which is a pretty well defined science now. Not much disputing there can be, because the condition of the victim's body can/will tell them a lot.

23,838 posts, read 23,187,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Here's my opinion:

1. The kid (Michael) ripped off a convenience store.
2. His buddy was a reluctant accessory to the crime (as he attempted to put some cigars back on the counter before walking out of the store)
3. Michael had a guilty conscience about the crime he just committed.
4. Cop approaches Michael & his friend to get out of the street. Michael being "mr. tough guy" mouths off at the cop.
5. Cop's not going to take any crap from Michael and calls him over to the squad truck to talk about it.
6. Michael's guilty conscience gets the better of him and he attempts to get away FAST from the cop and RUNS. (the worst thing you can do is run from the cops).
7. Michael not being in the best physical condition can't sprint as far and as fast as he wants and stops, turns around and goes back toward the cop.
8. (I'm wondering where Michael's friend is during the whole episode, running with him or flat on the ground?)
9. from 30 feet away seeing Michael coming toward him, the cop pumps off 6 rounds into Michael because he feels threatened.
10. Kid is dead because of his guilty conscience after having just robbed the convenience store, because he knew he was going to be arrested for the crime.

According to the police the cop involved in the shooting had no knowledge of the crime at the convenience store, likely would have let Michael & his friend go if they had just stopped walking in the street.

Now, I'll refrain from making any other comments outside of what I just stated and wait until there is more to know about the whole matter.
I think there's a good chance that a lot of what you've said here is true. I'll add that he didn't know the cop didn't know he had robbed the convenient store, and that's where his conscious really kicked in....after being confronted by the police. I'm thinking an overreaction Michael's part is probably a huge part of this equation.

As far as charging the police officer, i'm curious to find out to what degree he charged the officer, if any, and at what point the officer fired his weapon.

34,299 posts, read 15,729,905 times
I wonder, if someone was trying to take a pistol from another's holster and it went off would there G.S.R. on both people ?

Old 08-18-2014, 02:38 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,704,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post

I grew up in the ghetto. Someone mentioned folks sleeping below the window line in Ferguson. Been there.

I don't fear the police. I am extremely cognizant of them and their procedures. This is the result of

B. Earning 2 criminal justice degrees and working in the field for nearly 20 years.

When I have been stopped/questioned by police in my adult life (in relation to another matter or my own actions -breaking traffic laws) not only have I never been detained, arrested, or cited nearly all the officers thank me for knowing how to interact with them (where to hold your hands, line of questioning).

If you're outright "afraid" of police you may want to go to your local police station, pick up a code book of local and state ordinances, and also ask some of the officers to go over how you can best interact with them in situations.

Your mindset can go a long way towards determining the outcome of a police stop. I have a friend who constantly complains about the police and says that they've abused and harassed him but I was with him when he received a speeding ticket and he couldn't possibly have been a bigger ******* to the highway patrol officer who by all accounts was very restrained and tried his best to be pleasant.

Of the people I know who claim the police treat them the worst, all seem to have no problem mouthing off or swearing at them.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:38 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,679,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post

I used to work with the police in community programs to reduce youth violence and gang violence. I didn't grow up in the ghetto, but I met with gang members in Boston from the Dorchester area to interview them, met with at-risk young kids from the projects in Boston and Louisville, and also many concerned community members of violence-ridden neighborhoods. I've met lots of police. I'm not impressed with them. (There was maybe one who headed up Community Policing who seemed okay.) I did work in the projects where people put up bookcases against their office windows to avoid a bullet through the window. I have been shot at while I was in a car.

Last edited by ellemint; 08-18-2014 at 02:49 PM..

Old 08-18-2014, 02:39 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,187,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Forgot to explain how the cop got his injures, and even the witnesses did not say anything like your theory happened, nor does the evidence, but hey don't let any facts get in the way of your story.
Honestly, I don't think anyone knows what happened. Eyewitnesses are hardly ever credible or reliable, therefore I can't think of any good reason to put the eyewitness account ahead of anyone else's theory.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:41 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,704,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Honestly, I don't think anyone knows what happened. Eyewitnesses are hardly ever credible or reliable, therefore I can't think of any good reason to put the eyewitness account ahead of anyone else's theory.

Just have to wait for the investigation to get done. Hopefully there's fairly conclusive evidence pointing one way or the other. I think we should know a lot more in a week or two once toxicology and everything else has been completed.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:41 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,902,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
The robbery is not the issue in this case. In the shortest way I can put his.

1. Confrontation between the police officer and Brown took place. Brown takes off and runs with officer in pursuit.

One of things happened.

A. Brown stopped running and turned around to surrender and was shot.

B Brown stopped running, turnaround and charged the police officer who fired his weapon until Brown was killed.

One of these scenarios is justified while the other is not. This entire case revolves around which of these scenarios is correct.

Reggie

Two possible scenarios. However, scenario A. is unlikely. When one surrenders, they are told to put their hands behind their head and stay where they are at. Approaching the officer is an act of aggression.

That leaves us with scenario B.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies