Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 01:28 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times

Advertisements

A pound of pure tobacco will normally produce about 2 cartons of cigarettes.

https://www.seedman.com/TobaccoQA.htm

I don't smoke, what is a carton? $60? $120 for a pound of tobacco.

What does it cost to grow a pound of tobacco? I didn't research really in depth but I did find this.

Farmers who endured the tough growing season have been rewarded with burley prices near or at $2 per pound so far during the marketing season, said Will Snell, a University of Kentucky agricultural economist.

Tobacco farmers see rebound in leaf prices - Frankfort & Franklin County, Kentucky

So that doesn't break down exactly what a pound costs but it seems growers are very pleased with $2 a pound so it's somewhere less than that.

From once again a quick search it would appear to take relatively the same amount of time to grow a pot plant compared to a tobacco plant.

How Long Does It Take to Grow Weed? | Grow Weed Easy

The scale of growth with tobacco compared to pot is going to be much larger which will bring costs down some but there is some quick research for anyone to try and defend $250 an ounce.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:28 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,638,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
That is why I support Decriminalization and not legalization and you would have your wish. The Government will never allow that, how would they get their money if you are not selling it and they get to tax it, "Sin" taxes are a favorite of both Libs and Cons, they can raise them through the roof and people will simply nod and keep giving the government their piece of the action, kinda like the Mob makes money.
I would have no problem with that. Holland and Portugal have done that and it has been a huge success.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:30 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
very predictable. in fact, I predicted it months ago. why pay 2-3x as much from a dispensary when neighbor Bob has better stuff right next door for 1/3 the price?

this is why i always chuckle at the 'just-legalize-it-and-tax-the-hell-out-of-it' crowd.
BS!

You laugh, and have no clue!

It's the out of state traffickers!

Just make it legal in all states and all this BS will be done with!!!!

Old 08-20-2014, 01:32 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,454,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
very predictable. in fact, I predicted it months ago. why pay 2-3x as much from a dispensary when neighbor Bob has better stuff right next door for 1/3 the price?

this is why i always chuckle at the 'just-legalize-it-and-tax-the-hell-out-of-it' crowd.
Because Bob's tweaked and wants you to hang out and watch Dr. Who reruns.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:37 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post

What does it cost to grow a pound of tobacco? I didn't research really in depth but I did find this.

Farmers who endured the tough growing season have been rewarded with burley prices near or at $2 per pound so far during the marketing season, said Will Snell, a University of Kentucky agricultural economist.

Tobacco farmers see rebound in leaf prices - Frankfort & Franklin County, Kentucky

So that doesn't break down exactly what a pound costs but it seems growers are very pleased with $2 a pound so it's somewhere less than that.

From once again a quick search it would appear to take relatively the same amount of time to grow a pot plant compared to a tobacco plant.

The scale of growth with tobacco compared to pot is going to be much larger which will bring costs down some but there is some quick research for anyone to try and defend $250 an ounce.
You are forgetting one thing. Pot is illegal.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:41 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,454,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
You're forgetting one thing. Pot is legal. This thread is about the market here in Colorado.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:46 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Originally Posted by pknopp

Quote:
BINGO!

Just make it legal and everything good will follow. Gangs will lose 70% of their finance, Mexican cartels will be wiped out, and the tax income will be outstanding! Corporate (think about that) PRISONS WILL GO BROKE!!!Tax stamp all drugs and OD's will dramatically decrease. Spend the windfall on welfare, drug rehab, and prevention programs.

THE ENTIRE WAR ON CITIZENS IS RIDICULOUS!

AHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, if common sense prevailed, life would be goooooooooooood!

Old 08-20-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
BS!

You laugh, and have no clue!

It's the out of state traffickers!

Just make it legal in all states and all this BS will be done with!!!!
Not at $250 an ounce. Not at $200 an ounce. Not at $150 an ounce. At some point it will affect the illegal market but we are far from that.

It is a legitimate argument that ridding the market of the illegal trade is valid but we are not doing that.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:47 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Friends in Colorado Springs, they were paying $100 an oz. before and the legal they were getting was $300, not a good deal in any ones book.
Exactly, in my old neighborhood it is 120 but it is 3 blocks away and they have a selection on strains. There is good weed to be had with out the shops but if the shop had some Hawian with purple hairs I would have to splurge.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
The discussion concerns legal pot. Yes, the illegal black market can justify the high costs. Legal pot should be nowhere near those numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies