Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2014, 04:10 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,444,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Why aren't Black people capable of checking the city, county & state employment websites like everyone else? I think you sell Black people short. I suspect southbel, or gtownoe are plenty capable of checking & even subscribing to these basic websites no? It ain't brain surgery.
it depends

Look your looking at it perfectly -wrong. you aren't doing these people a favor by giving them a job. It is their unique cultural, background, etc that will benefit your workplace. It is diversity in culture that will make your team work better and be more accepted by the area you are servicing.

I worked for Eli Lilly based in Indianapolis. really hard to get qualified African Americans to come there. really had to work hard for it. Sending teams to schools such as Howard University. Flying them to Indy. . .costing more than just putting in the local paper and hitting perfectly capable nearby schools.

Yet any smart company (or police force) would know its worth it

When you have a local population that is 75% one race and my police force is 5%. . .I would be going nuts to try and improve those numbers. No way you can do your job (as we have seen) like that

Hell, i'd be selecting high performing high schooler with an aptitude for police work and paying for college with the expectation they work off the college by being a police officer

I would be doing anything i could

because 5 out of 55 isn't THEIR problem, it is MY problem

Old 08-21-2014, 04:10 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,675,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Context is key. It wasn't an insult. It was a response to a poster who claimed that in order to hire black applicants, one needs to do more than put out a basic job ad.
There are numerous websites that show all police jobs all over the US.

Here's one example.
Job Listings

I believe you also have to take a civil service exam so it's not like they can go looking for "walk ins".

Old 08-21-2014, 04:11 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,158,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
To be fair, I'm on here all the time too but I work all day on the computer. With multiple screens and multiple windows open, I tend to do both. Of course, owning my own company allows me to play around on the Internet like this.
Same here. But I am on a bit of a break from one so have extra time.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 08-21-2014 at 05:45 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 08-21-2014, 04:12 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,038,684 times
Quote:

Your silence says it all. There is no scenario in which you believe the officer should walk away from this. Even gtownoe & others have conceded that IF that's what happened, then the officer was within his rights to shoot.
I have already answered that ^ in another post and stated IF all of that poster's scenario was proven
to be, the officer had the right to shoot. Absolutely.

But there is a difference between the scenario he gave and what we are presented with.
Another scenario would be, If Brown attacked Wilson in the police car, and grabbed the weapon and Wilson got the weapon back and then shot Brown right then and there. I would also say he walks.

But we have 35 feet between those scenarios and the dead body of Brown unarmed.

If Wilson was no longer in immediate danger, he had no reason to shoot to kill.
That is my opinion and exactly what the Grand Jury will look at as well.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:13 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,473,823 times
Quote:
Why aren't Black people capable of checking the city, county & state employment websites like everyone else? I think you sell Black people short. I suspect southbel, or gtownoe are plenty capable of checking & even subscribing to these basic websites no? It ain't brain surgery.
Why would they keep checking when they can see with their own eyes the town rarely hires black officers?

Old 08-21-2014, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post

because 5 out of 55 isn't THEIR problem, it is MY problem
That is just the police force.
Their elected government is all White as well.

Then again only 6% voted last election.
The town is 70% Black and if they put their minds to it they could be in all offices running things.

It's not YOUR problem if none of them are trying to become a cop.

That's as good as Jesse Jackson crying there's not enough Blacks in tech implying discrimination.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:16 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,612,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Why would they keep checking when they can see with their own eyes the town rarely hires black officers?
Based on this statement it seems that the town would if possible:

“We don’t hire a new cop every year,” Knowles said. “Every time we do, we are rushing out there to find an African-American officer. It’s a problem that we’re committed to working with others to fix.”

Old 08-21-2014, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Without knowing any facts you jumped to the conclusion that it must be due to discrimination and not lack of Black applicants.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:19 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,854,634 times
Quote:
Well they should make the test easier for blacks like some States do for a firefighters job , different tests for whites & Blacks .

Old 08-21-2014, 04:21 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,057,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That is just the police force.
Their elected government is all White as well.

Then again only 6% voted last election.
The town is 70% Black and if they put their minds to it they could be in all offices running things.

It's not YOUR problem if none of them are trying to become a cop.

That's as good as Jesse Jackson crying there's not enough Blacks in tech implying discrimination.
Apathy in the election process is something I really can't stand. I always, always, always vote in every local election. Those are the most important ones, really, because they will have the most immediate and direct effect upon oneself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies