Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2014, 11:01 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maryland View Post
I get the OP's point, it should be the guys choice when he is of age to decide.

I'd like to have had that choice.
I agree with this.

Yet in the US, the decision to cut or not is typically based on if the father is cut or not.

On a global basis, circumcision is most pronounced in countries with a substantial Muslim populations and the US. There is always common ground for something if one looks close enough.

Old 08-22-2014, 11:11 AM

1,138 posts, read 1,042,341 times
There is nothing wrong with circumcision. It has numerous health benefits among which is reducing the risks of contracting HIV and other STDs, it also has hygienic purposes and most women prefer the cut look. It would be harmful to NOT have your son circumcised.

CDC - Male Circumcision - Research - Prevention Research - HIV/AIDS

Old 08-22-2014, 11:12 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Parents should have the choice to have their female children circumcised, because...they are the ones making decisions for the child? Ah...no.
You know damn well no one does that here. In fact, you probably never heard about female circumcision until five years or so ago; why are you playing dumb?

It started being done on boys because of RELIGIOUS reasons and continues for health reasons. There is nothing in the bible about female circumcision.

I don't care if a man is circumcised or not. I agree that if someone is born with something they should keep it. That's why I stopped shaving my pits and legs decades ago! However, equating circumcision with a woman's rights to her body is ludicrous.

Face it:

MEN INVENTED MALE CIRCUMCISION
MEN INVENTED CURRENT RELIGIONS
MEN MADE THE RELIGIOUS AND CIVIL LAWS

Old 08-22-2014, 11:20 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
You know damn well no one does that here. In fact, you probably never heard about female circumcision until five years or so ago; why are you playing dumb?

It started being done on boys because of RELIGIOUS reasons and continues for health reasons. There is nothing in the bible about female circumcision.

I don't care if a man is circumcised or not. I agree that if someone is born with something they should keep it. That's why I stopped shaving my pits and legs decades ago! However, equating circumcision with a woman's rights to her body is ludicrous.

Face it:

No, it really isn't.

It is the 21st century. There is no valid reason to inflict voluntary surgery on a child that has no say in the matter for purely aesthetic reasons. And, make no mistake, that is all it is - aesthetics.

I wonder, if instead of circumcision, if say, the ritual demanded cutting off a male infant's pinkey finger, would people still be so blasé about the practice?

Old 08-22-2014, 11:23 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Because it is apples and oranges. Parents are still in charge of the child and are the ones making decisions for the child.
That's a great way to not address the double standard. I thought a liberal like yourself would be opposed to male circumcision.

Old 08-22-2014, 11:30 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
So you think altering the human body of children before they can consent for "religious purposes", which really are societal norms, should be OK? Well...how about this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/20/ma...on-t.html?_r=0

1st amendment.

I'm a fan of the Constitution.

Please don't put words in my mouth.

Old 08-22-2014, 11:30 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
No, it really isn't.

It is the 21st century. There is no valid reason to inflict voluntary surgery on a child that has no say in the matter for purely aesthetic reasons. And, make no mistake, that is all it is - aesthetics.

I wonder, if instead of circumcision, if say, the ritual demanded cutting off a male infant's pinkey finger, would people still be so blasé about the practice?
Well, you just go have a discussion with your god about that, hmm?

Challenge the religious.

Join a group to demand circumcision be unlawful.

I even thought of a rallying cry for ya:

"If you like your foreskin, you can keep your foreskin!"

Catchy, no?

Old 08-22-2014, 11:36 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post

Face it:

We have a rapidly growing population of immigrants from places where female circumcision is the cultural norm. Should we use the same LOGIC and say, hey, it's the parents choice to do this because it follows their religious or cultural norms? The bible? They just might have a different little book than that, that prescribes the alteration of girls, rather than boys.

"health reasons" is a bit of a stretch. 100 years ago or more, when running water and regular bathing were not common, yes, you can make that case. But in modern times? No, it's a societal norm, no more.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 08-22-2014 at 12:15 PM..

Old 08-22-2014, 11:39 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Ever heard the term "single mother"?
all men are born to single mothers ????

Old 08-22-2014, 11:40 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Well this has to be one of the weirder threads in the political section that probably doesn't belong here....
THe section is Politics and other Controversies. This seems to be surprisingly controversial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies