Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 09:12 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
That's because he isn't mutilated.

mu·ti·late

verb \ˈmyü-tə-ˌlāt\ : to cause severe damage to (the body of a person or animal)
Any more than a female is that undergoes female circumcision.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:13 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,830,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
What are you talking about ?

show me the law that says you have to circumcise your child ?

also, it started as a religious practice, just saying..................
If the Lord had not wanted men to have foreskins he would have built them that way.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Do you have proof it is women doing it? is there some poll from a good source ?
Ever heard the term "single mother"?

Old 08-22-2014, 09:16 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
So religious freedom gives you the right to remove a portion of a male baby's genitalia at birth? That's funny considering my religion denounces circumcision.
So are you in favor of legally prosecuting Jews and Muslims and others who go ahead and have their sons circumcised?

Old 08-22-2014, 09:17 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
I'll break it down for you. What is the purpose of male circumcision in the 21st century?

Circumcision (male) Why it's done - Tests and Procedures - Mayo Clinic

"Easier hygiene. Circumcision makes it simpler to wash the penis. Washing beneath the foreskin of an uncircumcised penis is generally easy, however.
Decreased risk of urinary tract infections. The overall risk of urinary tract infections in males is low, but these infections are more common in uncircumcised males. Severe infections early in life can lead to kidney problems later on.
Decreased risk of sexually transmitted infections. Circumcised men might have a lower risk of certain sexually transmitted infections, including HIV. Still, safe sexual practices remain essential.
Prevention of penile problems. Occasionally, the foreskin on an uncircumcised penis can be difficult or impossible to retract (phimosis). This can lead to inflammation of the foreskin or head of the penis.
Decreased risk of penile cancer. Although cancer of the penis is rare, it's less common in circumcised men. In addition, cervical cancer is less common in the female sexual partners of circumcised men. "

I have always found it interesting when things the Bible tells us to do turn out to have benefits that wouldn't have been known at the time it was written like lower risk of penile and cervical cancers when the man is circumcised.

No one is going to make male circumcision illegal as long as there are medical benefits to the procedure.

Out of curiosity, what benefits to not circumcising can you list that offset things like the increased risk of cervical cancer to the partners of uncircumcised men? Why would a woman choose an uncircumcised partner. What makes the increased risk worth it?

Old 08-22-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Circumcision (male) Why it's done - Tests and Procedures - Mayo Clinic

"Easier hygiene. Circumcision makes it simpler to wash the penis. Washing beneath the foreskin of an uncircumcised penis is generally easy, however.
Decreased risk of urinary tract infections. The overall risk of urinary tract infections in males is low, but these infections are more common in uncircumcised males. Severe infections early in life can lead to kidney problems later on.
Decreased risk of sexually transmitted infections. Circumcised men might have a lower risk of certain sexually transmitted infections, including HIV. Still, safe sexual practices remain essential.
Prevention of penile problems. Occasionally, the foreskin on an uncircumcised penis can be difficult or impossible to retract (phimosis). This can lead to inflammation of the foreskin or head of the penis.
Decreased risk of penile cancer. Although cancer of the penis is rare, it's less common in circumcised men. In addition, cervical cancer is less common in the female sexual partners of circumcised men. "

I have always found it interesting when things the Bible tells us to do turn out to have benefits that wouldn't have been known at the time it was written like lower risk of penile and cervical cancers when the man is circumcised.
You can justify anything on the internet:

Quote:
Female circumcision has not been prescribed for no reason, rather there is wisdom behind it and it brings many benefits.

Mentioning some of these benefits, Dr. Haamid al-Ghawaabi says:

The secretions of the labia minora accumulate in uncircumcised women and turn rancid, so they develop an unpleasant odour which may lead to infections of the vagina or urethra. I have seen many cases of sickness caused by the lack of circumcision.

Circumcision reduces excessive sensitivity of the clitoris which may cause it to increase in size to 3 centimeters when aroused, which is very annoying to the husband, especially at the time of intercourse.

Another benefit of circumcision is that it prevents stimulation of the clitoris which makes it grow large in such a manner that it causes pain.

Circumcision prevents spasms of the clitoris which are a kind of inflammation.

Circumcision reduces excessive sexual desire.

Then Dr al-Ghawaabi refutes those who claim that female circumcision leads to frigidity by noting:

Frigidity has many causes, and this claim is not based on any sound statistics comparing circumcised women with uncircumcised women, except in the case of Pharaonic circumcision which is where the clitoris is excised completely. This does in fact lead to frigidity but it is contrary to the kind of circumcision enjoined by the Prophet of mercy (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) when he said: “Do not destroy” i.e., do not uproot or excise. This alone is evidence that speaks for itself, because medicine at that time knew very little about this sensitive organ (the clitoris) and its nerves.

Wouldn't it be simple if we could just agree that circumcision should be the choice of the individual, when they are old enough to understand the implications and make an informed decision, than something done because of old traditions or religious superstitions?

Old 08-22-2014, 09:24 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
I lean towards choice. Let the male decide what he wants when he is of age.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:27 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Quote:
I enjoy making these threads because it forces people to face their hypocrisies and ignorance. It's funny to watch posters squirm and refuse to address the issues head on time and again.

I apply the "my body my choice" feminist frame work to males, and the response, of course, is "you don't have a right to your own foreskin." The responses rendered were what I expected.
You make threads that people really don't care about.

No one is 'squirming'. Like I said, if you feel that strongly about it, try to get the law changed. Bring awareness to people.

I had three daughters, so I have no skin (LOL) in the game either way.

Why don't you emulate the women who fought for their equal rights and start a movement to ban circumcision?

Cripes, do something if you feel so strongly.

Nobody here really cares....................I'm happy for you if starting failed threads is a source of enjoyment to you.

Grown ups have and make choices.
Babies do not, so your "my body my choice" thing is an utter failure of logic.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:30 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
You make threads that people really don't care about.

No one is 'squirming'. Like I said, if you feel that strongly about it, try to get the law changed. Bring awareness to people.

I had three daughters, so I have no skin (LOL) in the game either way.

Why don't you emulate the women who fought for their equal rights and start a movement to ban circumcision?

Cripes, do something if you feel so strongly.

Nobody here really cares....................I'm happy for you if starting failed threads is a source of enjoyment to you.

Grown ups have and make choices.
Babies do not, so your "my body my choice" thing is an utter failure of logic.
Nah. I'm just going to keep voting for men who try to tell women what to do with their bodies. I feel like that makes things even.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:30 AM

29,492 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
The same purpose it always held.

Why do you care about the decisions parents make for their kids? Do you like being told about the bad decisions you make as a parent? You probably do not and fight for your "right" to be a parent and do what you find best for YOUR kid.

So don't circ your boys.

Others will continue to do so.

Get over it.

And you might want to keep in mind that male vs. female circumcision it is VERY different in intent.
Pretty much this...

As far as the OP....Wow, now I've seen it all on C-D...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies