Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 11:55 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,918,655 times

Advertisements

It's impossible to say that the lower rates are a result of concealed carry permits. I would guess it's a combination of things. Even WEATHER factors in to crime rates for crying out loud.....

That said, having a concealed weapon is not meant as a crime deterrent. If crime rates drop in areas with higher CCW's, that's great, but it's just gravy. The real reason for having a concealed weapon permit is so that you can protect yourself if you ever need to, so whether or not the crime rates drop or not, it's not a legit argument either for or against concealed carry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Guns are already everywhere in the hood. Concealed carry doesn't affect people who didn't care about laws to begin with.

Righties think that criminals just need to be scared of getting shot at and they'll stop committing crimes. They already are.
You are 100% correct on this one, and (inadvertently I assume) proved the Conservative argument FOR concealed carry. Hoodlums don't care what the law says, they are going to carry anyway. The law doesn't affect them. The law DOES however affect those who abide by it, and the ability to have a concealed weapon puts innocent people on a level playing field with criminals. No longer do criminals have the advantage over innocents.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Most criminals don't care about concealed weapons permits. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
LOL at you OP, you really think criminals keep up to date on concealed carry laws?
When the police cheif in Detroit started encouraging citizens to get a concealed weapons permit, they noticed an uptick in the amount of thugs who chose to wear body armor, and they also noticed more criminals were having people disrobe before they victimized them, presumably to make sure they weren't armed.

I would say that after awhile, word gets around that more people are armed, and criminals do take notice of that.
Quote:
LOL. Crime rises and falls in waves. And it is odd that you are pointing out the lowering crime when all I hear about in the media about Chicago at times are the continues "shootings" and how many people were shot in a weekend.

Give me a break
Of course that's all you hear.... Haven't you figured out yet that the media has an agenda to push?

Old 08-25-2014, 01:17 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,434,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
So they werent doing their job previously?
They weren't doing it effectively no.

When it comes to humans, I'm sure you know, you can not expect great results from our work all of the time. The idea is, once a deficiency is known, you do something about it.

Seems like the police in Chicago have.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:54 PM

1,806 posts, read 1,740,767 times
...and other countries where CC is illegal have lower homicide rates. Throwing out some stupid statistic out of context is stupid. There's this thing called causation. You're not showing it here.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:57 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,397,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The quotations used by the article were from the head of the Illinois national rifle association. Of course he is going to draw this correlation. Forget about the extra police work that had this effect. It must be all of the guns on the street. Yeah right.

Ad hominem fallacy. I am from Chicago, and we had "extra police work" from time immemorial. But when seconds count, cops are minutes away. I got tired of the crime and moved out. I now live in WA where anyone without a felony can obtain a CCW with 5 minutes of paperwork. I am probably the biggest criminal in my neighborhood. I hate waiting for the 'walk' sign and will dash across Bellevue Way to get from my home to the Safeway grocery or Bartell drug store.

I never thought that I would see this day come to Chicago. Thanks, Judge Posner.

Old 08-25-2014, 03:06 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,881,729 times
Does anyone know if the number of bodies piling up at the city morgue are the result of citizens defending themselves with their newly acquired right to carry concealed weapons? Not all criminals are smart enough to realize the former victims can fight back. Do the casualty reports reflect this change? They should.

One of the things almost never mentioned about carrying a gun is some day you might have to kill somebody to defend yourself. Not all that many people are willing or ready to kill another person. The reality is showing a gun is unlikely to stop an assault but actually killing the assailant is. So if you are carrying a gun realize you may have to use it and using it most likely will result is someone getting killed. It may be you given the nature of close range gunfights.

A friend of mine once asked me to teach her how to carry and shoot a gun. I told her that I could teach her this but I could never teach her to be willing under any circumstance how to kill someone. This did not apply to her husband.

Old 08-25-2014, 03:19 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,397,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Does anyone know if the number of bodies piling up at the city morgue are the result of citizens defending themselves with their newly acquired right to carry concealed weapons? Not all criminals are smart enough to realize the former victims can fight back. Do the casualty reports reflect this change? They should.

One of the things almost never mentioned about carrying a gun is some day you might have to kill somebody to defend yourself. Not all that many people are willing or ready to kill another person. The reality is showing a gun is unlikely to stop an assault but actually killing the assailant is. So if you are carrying a gun realize you may have to use it and using it most likely will result is someone getting killed. It may be you given the nature of close range gunfights.

A friend of mine once asked me to teach her how to carry and shoot a gun. I told her that I could teach her this but I could never teach her to be willing under any circumstance how to kill someone. This did not apply to her husband.
OK so you are a sexist. No such compunction here. If anything, females have a greater need to defend themselves from violence.

Old 08-25-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
There's this thing called causation. You're not showing it here.
I agree that the issueing of CCW permits is likely not the only factor in the drop in crime. It may not even be a factor at all. That's ok, it doesn't need to be. What this does prove however, is that more guns does not equate to more crime on the streets.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
. The reality is showing a gun is unlikely to stop an assault
Is that why the majority of successful self defense incidents that involve a gun end withiout a shot ever being fired? I've heard estimates as high as 92-95% of all incidents where a crime is deterred with a gun end without a shot being fired.
Quote:
So if you are carrying a gun realize you may have to use it and using it most likely will result is someone getting killed.
This I do agree with. If you aren't prepared to use it, don't carry it. Also know that the minute you use it, your life changes forever, or so I've been told { warned }
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies