Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 02:53 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times

Advertisements

Yes, violence does lead to poverty. The communnity is taken hostage by the criminal element and they are too scared to do anything about it. If they try, they will be met with violence, so they live with it and continue to deteriorate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 05:53 PM

553 posts, read 595,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo View Post
And the point here is that the poor shouldn't have to depend on the whims of the rich, and they shouldn't have to join a church in order to have a decent standard of living.
Whims of the rich? They make regular contributions in a business-like manner.

Join a church? The churches provide these services to anybody who needs them, mostly to non-members. I can't think of anybody our church has helped who was a member. You will find a similar story in every church. The only reason anyone is excluded is if they are unwilling to do anything to help themselves and just want to mooch off others.

An offering plate is passed and about the same amount goes in each week and the church plans a budget with a fund for the needy.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:05 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,677,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAllenDoudna View Post
In my personal experience, the two most important solutions to poverty have been to get a job and be careful what you spend your money on.
The sheer economy of your response says a lot about what I was referring to with regard to what passes for an intellectual treatment of our long standing national dilemma. "Get a job", why not just the observation that "get lots of money," and poverty would therefore be automatically diminished, gosh, the scope of thinking here is simply astonishing.......

Old 09-01-2014, 10:51 AM

14 posts, read 15,827 times
Default Poverty

Poverty is a direct result of mis-management of funds. People have not learned the lesson on how to manage their assets. The basic principles of economics should be taught at home. Violence has nothing to do with poverty. That is a social principle that has not been taught in a lot of homes.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:55 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas182 View Post
Or could poverty be the cause of Violence?
I think stupidity is the cause of both.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:01 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
How about getting some actual facts to prove your ideas rather than guesses?

...or are facts and evidence too liberal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lainie64 View Post
Poverty is a direct result of mis-management of funds. People have not learned the lesson on how to manage their assets. The basic principles of economics should be taught at home. Violence has nothing to do with poverty. That is a social principle that has not been taught in a lot of homes.
My thought is if people in poverty "got a job", they'd be too damn busy and tired to be out there causing violence.

And yes I agree, if people understood personal finance they would make wiser decisions and not be so easily manipulated into making bad choices. Part of the problem is people feel entitled without regard of how they are going to pay for that to which they think they are entitled to.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Yes, violence does lead to poverty. The communnity is taken hostage by the criminal element and they are too scared to do anything about it. If they try, they will be met with violence, so they live with it and continue to deteriorate.
And that's something I don't understand, but I probably don't understand it because I've never lived it.

I lived most of my life in predominantly white, suburban towns that had a mix of middle-class types, blue-collar to executive. No real "bad" section, just some streets that were obviously pricier than others.

There were ALWAYS a few welfare moms with kids, black or white or other, living amongst us. You knew they got free lunch, food stamps, whatever. It was what it was. But these mothers were giving their kids opportunity by living in a town where most of the people had more money than they did, which basically translated also to a safer place to live and better schools.

So when I see some sort of tragedy happening in one of my area's ghetto neighborhoods--shootings, murders, the usual--and the news shows these mothers being interviewed complaining about having to raise their kids in these 'hoods, I always want to ask, "So why DO you stay there, exactly?" I'm thinking--and again, I have not lived this life so I could be way off base--if I were poor and had to live on assistance, and I had the choice to be poor in a better town, I would MOVE for the sake of my children. I would simply not allow myself to raise my children in such a horrific situation, not just with the violence but with the cockroaches, and the rats, and the substandard school system. Yes, you might be subjecting yourself to some disdain or condescension from a few of the people in a better town, and you would not know everyone as you probably do in the slum where you live now, but SO WHAT? Isn't it worth those minor discomforts? Isn't the raising of your children and giving them a better future and hope worth it?

Old 09-01-2014, 11:14 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
And that's something I don't understand, but I probably don't understand it because I've never lived it.

I lived most of my life in predominantly white, suburban towns that had a mix of middle-class types, blue-collar to executive. No real "bad" section, just some streets that were obviously pricier than others.

There were ALWAYS a few welfare moms with kids, black or white or other, living amongst us. You knew they got free lunch, food stamps, whatever. It was what it was. But these mothers were giving their kids opportunity by living in a town where most of the people had more money than they did, which basically translated also to a safer place to live and better schools.

So when I see some sort of tragedy happening in one of my area's ghetto neighborhoods--shootings, murders, the usual--and the news shows these mothers being interviewed complaining about having to raise their kids in these 'hoods, I always want to ask, "So why DO you stay there, exactly?" I'm thinking--and again, I have not lived this life so I could be way off base--if I were poor and had to live on assistance, and I had the choice to be poor in a better town, I would MOVE for the sake of my children. I would simply not allow myself to raise my children in such a horrific situation, not just with the violence but with the cockroaches, and the rats, and the substandard school system. Yes, you might be subjecting yourself to some disdain or condescension from a few of the people in a better town, and you would not know everyone as you probably do in the slum where you live now, but SO WHAT? Isn't it worth those minor discomforts? Isn't the raising of your children and giving them a better future and hope worth it?
When were just barely middle class growing up and lived among those who were a little better off. As kids we didn't know we were poor and there was certainly no griping about it from my parents. My parents gave us a good, positive" home life and education. My dad was great at one liners which I actually (even when young) appreciated.

- Family is first,
- Respect your spouse,
- Enjoy and take time with your children,
- Don't carry a chip because that chip will become heavy and will make you miserable,
- Be able to take care of yourself financially,
- Be financially responsible with your money,
- Learn taxes,
- Nothing is free, there is always payment taken in one form or another,
- You don't deserve it, unless you earn it,
- You can have almost anything you want but not everything,
- Life is not fair but who told you it was supposed to be,
- Take care of yourself physically,
- Carry your weight, otherwise others won't respect you and it's not respectful to others,
- Be good at your job because no one is irreplaceable,
- Don't expect for you will surely be disappointed,
- No one is perfect, not even you,
- People who don't try will be failures in life,
- Try and if you fail, you look at what you did wrong, see what you can do different and "try again",
- Don't reinvent the wheel if you don't have to, learn from others who've been there,
- Life is too short, enjoy it

Last edited by petch751; 09-01-2014 at 12:26 PM..

Old 09-01-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
When were just barely middle class growing up and lived among those who were a little better off. As kids we didn't know we were poor and there was certainly no griping about it from my parents. My parents gave us a good, positive" home life and education. My dad was great at one liners which I actually (even when young) appreciated.

- Family is first,
- Respect your spouse,
- Enjoy and take time with your children,
- Don't carry a chip because that chip will become heavy and make you miserable,
- Be able to take care of yourself financially,
- Be financially responsible with your money,
- Learn taxes,
- Nothing is free, there is always payment taken in one form or another,
- You don't deserve it, unless you earn it,
- You can have almost anything you want but not everything,
- Life is not fair but who told you it was supposed to be,
- Take care of yourself physically,
- Carry your weight, otherwise others won't respect you and it's not respectful to others,
- Be good at your job because no one is irreplaceable,
- Don't expect for you will surely be disappointed,
- No one is perfect, not even you,
- People who don't try will be failures in life,
- Try and if you fail, you look at what you did wrong, see what you can do different and "try again",
- Don't reinvent the wheel if you don't have to, learn from others who've been there,
- Life is too short, enjoy it
You were lucky to have such a great dad! Mine was a quiet man, but a good man. He'd lost both his legs in WWII and walked on prosthetics, using a wheelchair sometimes when infections set in. After the war, he went to school and became an engineer.

By his actions, he taught us that if life doesn't go your way, learn to adjust and make the best of it you can, and never feel sorry for yourself. Most people around us had more money than we did, but we had everything we needed. It was just that there were seven kids in my family, so it all got stretched a little further, and my mom was very frugal, fearing that one day my dad might not be able to work (but that fear was never realized--he worked until retirement).

Old 09-01-2014, 12:43 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Default Could Violence Be the Cause of Poverty?

Here's the test:

Would ending violence reduce poverty or would ending poverty reduce violence?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies