Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 09:42 AM

21,741 posts, read 16,365,101 times

Advertisements

So far in this thread, Caraway is doing the best job of providing salient detail and parsing out the issues

Old 08-30-2014, 12:09 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,492,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
I've been trying to figure out why responses such as yours and others on this thread have bothered me so much. Technically you and others are right. So why is it I just can't accept that? I figured it out. Mexico is a sovereign country with a big asterisk. It's also a 3rd world nation with corruption up to its ears. It's governmental institutions are not modern. I would probably agree with you and others if we were talking about Canada or any other modern country with a modern system of justice. We're not though. We're talking about Mexico. So no, I and a lot of other Americans are not willing to give a 3rd world nation the same respect and benefit of the doubt that we would give a modern country.

So here is a real world comparison to chew on. It's the difference between a 1st world nation and a 3rd world nation. A retired Army Sergeants Major by the name of Louis DiNatale made a similar mistake and drove into Canada accidentally with his gun. This is going on right now. He served 4 days in jail before being freed on bail. He does face a maximum of 3 years in prison if convicted, but the current status is expected to be favorable. He was arrested, freed on bail, and he is going through Canada's justice system without sitting in a prison over a mistake. He faces that possibility, but it's highly unlikely.

Here is an article on it: U.S.-Canada border arrest highlights gun-law differences | The Columbus Dispatch

Technically I should respect the justice system of a 3rd world nation rife with corruption as much as any other sovereign country. That is where horse sense kicks in. Hell no I won't.
I think figuring out some of the responses is fairly easy. Some people have far more regard for a third-world (and that's a gift) corrupt country that encourages its citizens to violate our sovereignty than they do for this country.

As both a veteran and an American I find that appalling.

Old 08-30-2014, 12:53 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
So far some have expressed their moral outrage re the arrest but no one has explained what he was doing with a car load of loaded guns in tj

Old 08-30-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
So far some have expressed their moral outrage re the arrest but no one has explained what he was doing with a car load of loaded guns in tj
He was living out of his truck and all his worldly possessions were in it. He came to CA to seek better PTSD treatment in the company of his fellow Marines. I have no idea where he was headed but he took a wrong turn on a badly marked, confusing section of unfamiliar freeway and ended up in Mexico by accident. He immediately declared the guns and the rest is history.

Old 08-30-2014, 01:20 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,218,757 times
How do you end up in Mexico by accident? Just saying.

Old 08-30-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilinpretty View Post
How do you end up in Mexico by accident? Just saying.
Bad signage, closed lanes, painted-over signs, lack of familiarity with that part of the freeway, dark of night, poor lighting...and maybe even confusion due to PTSD. Just sayin'.

Old 08-30-2014, 02:09 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,848,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Bad signage, closed lanes, painted-over signs, lack of familiarity with that part of the freeway, dark of night, poor lighting...and maybe even confusion due to PTSD. Just sayin'.
Still hard for most to imagine accidentally driving into another country, without video evidence of the route and conditions under which such an event could occur.

Old 08-30-2014, 02:39 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
He was living out of his truck and all his worldly possessions were in it. He came to CA to seek better PTSD treatment in the company of his fellow Marines. I have no idea where he was headed but he took a wrong turn on a badly marked, confusing section of unfamiliar freeway and ended up in Mexico by accident. He immediately declared the guns and the rest is history.
You don't need six loaded guns to defend yourself esp a marine
He might use insanity plea here
But don't try it in foreign countries

Old 08-30-2014, 03:30 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,365,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
You don't need six loaded guns to defend yourself esp a marine
He might use insanity plea here
But don't try it in foreign countries
Doesn't mean a thing. Most gun owners own more than one gun. I have three. One of my sons has at least a half dozen. I know guys who have several dozen. We don't NEED them at all.

Not attacking you here, but did you do military yourself? If so, were you in any front-line duty? Most of us who were in that kind of duty continue a relationship with guns. And, as I explained previously in this thread, that isn't necessarily a sign of imbalance or increased likelihood of misuse. Conjecture on the basis you infer above is a red herring.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Doesn't mean a thing. Most gun owners own more than one gun. I have three. One of my sons has at least a half dozen. I know guys who have several dozen. We don't NEED them at all.

Not attacking you here, but did you do military yourself? If so, were you in any front-line duty? Most of us who were in that kind of duty continue a relationship with guns. And, as I explained previously in this thread, that isn't necessarily a sign of imbalance or increased likelihood of misuse. Conjecture on the basis you infer above is a red herring.
Beyond that, I don't remember reading that the guns were loaded -- ammunition, yes -- loaded ???

As a gun owner I have two pistols, two revolvers and two rifles. Guess that makes me an equal opportunity gun owner, huh?

I had a relationship with guns long before the military and front line duty so to me it's no big thing, except to anti-gun/anti-military types who likely never served.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies