Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 11:37 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,366,997 times

Advertisements

Gun-rights advocate challenges Bill Gates to debate I-594 | Politics Northwest | Seattle Times

Longtime gun rights advocate Alan Gottlieb of Bellevue, Washington challenged Bill Gates to put his mouth where his money is and debate initiative 594, a gun control measure to which Gates recently donated $1 million.

The Gates Foundation responded with a statement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle Times
“We are pleased to join many others making a donation to the Washington Alliance for Gun Responsibility to support Initiative 594 on the November ballot,” reads the statement. “We believe it will be an effective and balanced approach to improving gun safety in our state by closing existing loopholes for background checks.”
Needless to say, it doesn’t mention Gottlieb’s challenge.
In other words, no debate, we prefer to win the argument by our tried and true method of outspending the opposition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 12:03 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
In other words...

Someone asked another person to do something and that person declined.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:18 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,366,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
In other words...

Someone asked another person to do something and that person declined.

Declined a debate. Why would you decline a debate if the facts and logic were on your side, on an issue about which you were passionate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton
Let her and Falsehood grapple; who ever knew Truth put to the worse in a free and open encounter?”
It appears that Gottlieb is eager to grapple, while Gates is afraid.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:36 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,909,798 times
I've never heard of that guy but he is probably some wing nut no name loser who is just trying to up his profile by issuing challenges to much more famous and well known people. That is how the bottom feeders try to get their name out there so they can sell more inane books to idiots.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:42 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,792,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Gates to gun control is Oprah to water. He can afford to buy/skirt whatever regulation he deems that all others should keep. It's the typical elite notion that "they know what's best for EVERYBODY ELSE" while any regulation he spawns can ultimately be skirted by... the elites.

He can access Class III weapons no matter how expensive the FFL permits and weapons may become. What's 25-50-75-$100k to this guy? He's nothing but a monetized thug wielding a federal note bat.

Last edited by steven_h; 08-29-2014 at 12:51 AM..

Old 08-29-2014, 12:48 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
Quote:
Declined a debate. Why would you decline a debate if the facts and logic were on your side, on an issue about which you were passionate?

I'm no fan of Gates or gun control but "bullying" him into a debate is pretty dumb. Nobody expects Gates to know anything outside of his empire. It's just not a constructive tactic for those against the bill.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:56 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,792,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
I've never heard of that guy but he is probably some wing nut no name loser who is just trying to up his profile by issuing challenges to much more famous and well known people. That is how the bottom feeders try to get their name out there so they can sell more inane books to idiots.
Second Amendment Foundation, 18 books, chairman of the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms...etc. Yea, a nobody... to any progressive liberal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I'm no fan of Gates or gun control but "bullying" him into a debate is pretty dumb. Nobody expects Gates to know anything outside of his empire. It's just not a constructive tactic for those against the bill.
You mean Gates never bullied anyone? I think the late Steve Jobs would beg to differ. Gates shouldn't be shoveling money into something he has no expertise on then. This is called ignorant stupidity if he actually has no clue, and I don't believe he is clueless. He knows EXACTLY WHAT HE'S DOING, and a debate with this guy would screw him every way, including sideways.

Let's get off this circle jerk, shall we? It's more about taking rights than preserving them. I live in Cali - I know about losing rights, let me tell you!

Last edited by steven_h; 08-29-2014 at 01:06 AM..

Old 08-29-2014, 03:13 AM

66 posts, read 51,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
I've never heard of that guy but he is probably some wing nut no name loser who is just trying to up his profile by issuing challenges to much more famous and well known people.
You've never heard of Bill Gates? While I agree he's a loser he did create Microsoft which is something at least.

Old 08-29-2014, 04:01 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,203,858 times
Quote:
Gun-rights advocate challenges Bill Gates to debate I-594 | Politics Northwest | Seattle Times

Longtime gun rights advocate Alan Gottlieb of Bellevue, Washington challenged Bill Gates to put his mouth where his money is and debate initiative 594, a gun control measure to which Gates recently donated $1 million.

In other words, no debate, we prefer to win the argument by our tried and true method of outspending the opposition.

in other words, gates ran like a little democrat that knows he is wrong.

Old 08-29-2014, 04:03 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:

Is there any particular reason why Gates should to dance to Alans music?

I do not support gun control, but I support his right to donate to whatever cause he wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies