Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 07:10 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,818,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Or you could, you know, not buy leaky chicken.

Meat is supposed to be packaged and bagged separately anyways.
I don't eat meat, but there's plenty of "chicken soup" on those belts.--that people put into those gross bags.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 07:14 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,259,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
I don't eat meat, but there's plenty of "chicken soup" on those belts.--that people put into those gross bags.
For whatever reason, this has never been an issue for me. The only time I can even recall ever seeing a leaky meat product was when I went to a Sam's club, but I'm quite sure they would re-wrap for anyone.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:33 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,236,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Have you ever used a cloth bag?

They are no less convenient than plastic. I guess it's harder to carry six at a time, but from my experience, you can fit more into an individual cloth bag than you can into a individual plastic, so your ultimately carrying the same amount. Cloth bags are durable, and I have yet to run into the problem of things falling out of them.

And plastic is bad for the environment. It's called science. You not being aware of how plastic works in the environment doesn't change any facts about how it actually works.
BS.... my wife has been using cloth bags for a couple of years and the handles have come undone on at least 6 of them spilling the load....I agree plastic is bad...but there is no need for your lies that nothing goes wrong with the cloth bags !!!!!

Old 09-03-2014, 07:44 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times
We might need to clarify the types of grocery bags. I have three different basic styles: mesh produce bags, hemp bags for bulk grains, and nylon grocery bags shaped like the plastic film bags that have been banned. In five years...

One of 12 mesh produce bags ripped through a side seam
Zero of the hemp bags failed
Zero of the nylon bags failed

Old 09-03-2014, 08:01 PM

39,076 posts, read 51,213,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Or you could, you know, not buy leaky chicken.

Meat is supposed to be packaged and bagged separately anyways.
It need not be leaky. Chicken is packaged under very unsanitary conditions. The packaging itself is rife with bacteria that gets on the bag whether it leaks or not.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:04 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,905,230 times
Quote:
You're right. They're filthy. And pursuant to test results, people are not laundering tbem after each visit to the store.

Some people clearly don't care if they set those broccoli crowns on top of the leaky chicken.
Wash your bag once in a while and your fine especially since most chicken (and other stuff full of bacteria) are already covered in plastic when you buy them.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:25 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,951,090 times
Issues that matter to liberals: what kind of grocery bag is used. Pathetic.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:44 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times
Quote:
What I'm going to do is search for that old "Things I learned on the boards" thread...after "no one shops ay Walmart" I can add "everyone launders their reusable cloth bags after each trip to the grocery store."
I was last in a Walmart in 2012 to purchase a cot for my youngest to take to summer camp. As for washing reusables, I can only speak for myself. I know that I wash my bags and containers between every trip to the grocery. I also know that nobody in this family has suffered food poisoning or been ill with anything other than a minor cold since I began shopping this way several years ago. YMMV.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:29 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,651,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Nope..better deal is to buy a box of 900 plastic bags for $20 and keep them in your truck.
I see these on Amazon. I reuse the bags for trash and cleaning the cat box and had already priced the small 4-gallon trash bags at about $6 for 50. 900 for $20 is a much better deal. Just because they aren't going to give them away doesn't mean I won't still need them. And I'm far from the only one - people will just start buying plastic trash bags. Glad stock will probably go up.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:39 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,967,098 times
The irony...

All these "conservatives" whining because they can no longer get a "handout" LOL. If you want to get plastic bags, pay for them. The plastic bags welfare is over... sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies