Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 04:20 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,024,681 times

Advertisements

Just watched this story on msnbc (Don't know how I managed to get on that channel, maybe their other 10 or so viewers also saw this story.) Apparently tomorrow the fast food workers around the country will be walking off their easily replaceable jobs, they will be demanding 15/hr, and unions.. Ed Shultz has been slurping up Obama for supporting this, for 5 minutes.

There are so many noble respectable careers/jobs in this country, that many can argue should get a bump in pay.

Someone explain to me.
Why should someone who flips burgers, and ask "Do you want fries with that", someone who has a skill less, entry level, easily replaceable job get paid anywhere near 15/hr?

Last edited by Jermaine88; 09-03-2014 at 04:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 04:30 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
I don't know if they should or shouldn't.

I have an agreement with Burger flippers...they don't tell me how much money I can ask for and I reciprocate.

Is fifteen bucks unrealistic or an overreach? Maybe.

But one has the right in America to overreach and make excessive demands. It's none of my business what they ask for.

If an employer agrees to give it to them, it's no skin off my back regardless.

Price of a burger might go up...But I can afford it. If I don't like it then no one is forcing me to buy it.,

Old 09-03-2014, 04:34 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,462,376 times
Explain to me why you would rather pay less for your burgers, and more in taxes to support those who cannot afford to live.

Since they cannot afford to live (even some with up to 4 jobs) they certainly cannot afford the necessary education/training to earn more.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:34 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,743,613 times
I wonder if this would work being that there are millions upon millions of unemployed who might do it for less than 15 an hour...I sure hope a Big Mac doesn't cost 6 dollars by the end of the week though...

edit* just to be clear....I have no problem with them asking for more...I wish them good luck. AND I for one will not pay six dollars for a Big Mac if they do get the raise.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:37 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
Just watched this story on msnbc (Don't know how I managed to get on that channel, maybe their other 10 or so viewers also saw this story.) Apparently tomorrow the fast food workers around the country will be walking off their easily replaceable jobs, they will be demanding 15/hr, and unions.. Ed Shultz has been slurping up Obama for supporting this, for 5 minutes.

There are so many noble respectable careers/jobs in this country, that many can argue should get a bump in pay.

Someone explain to me.
Why should someone who flips burgers, and ask "Do you want fries with that", someone who has a skill less, entry level, easily replaceable job get paid anywhere near 15/hr?
If they are striking and protesting without federal legislation, I support their right to do so.

Unions were a good thing when people felt underpaid and mistreated by their employers.

The restaurants can hire new workers, compromise, or shut down.

The American way

Old 09-03-2014, 04:38 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
What i don't get is this notion people have that burger flippers are out of line for even asking for more.

Do burger flippers tell you what you can or can't demand from your employer?

This is America...You can ask for anything you want.

And employers can reject it.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:40 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Nobody is going to walk off their jobs. There will be a select few spots where people are paid to act like fast food workers walking off their jobs for the photo op.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:41 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,024,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Explain to me why you would rather pay less for your burgers, and more in taxes to support those who cannot afford to live.

Since they cannot afford to live (even some with up to 4 jobs) they certainly cannot afford the necessary education/training to earn more.
I would rather pay less because I can.

Why should I pay 2-3-4 dollars (plus the 6 cents? in taxes) for a McDonalds cheeseburger?

I'm reading these stories.
Some are walking around just announcing they have 3-4-5 kids. Why are they continuing to pop out babies with no education, and no real job?

Last edited by Jermaine88; 09-03-2014 at 05:10 PM..

Old 09-03-2014, 04:41 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,081,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post

If they can not afford to live, than they are living in the wrong city/town. If they choose to live in a high COL area that is their own doing.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:42 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,661,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post

Someone explain to me.
Why should someone who flips burgers, and ask "Do you want fries with that", someone who has a skill less, entry level, easily replaceable job get paid anywhere near 15/hr
?
One possible answer is that so those who are making $15/hr now can justify asking for $21/hr and get off food stamps or other welfare like programs that should be paid for by corporations and not taxes. Just the first thing that popped into my head. No time to think it through or read about it, you know, kind of like any bill push through Congress and signed into law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies