Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2014, 12:07 PM

18,462 posts, read 7,096,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Would any of you be willing to work for less than $15/hr with less than 40 hrs. per week? Would you be able to pay your rent and still get to work?

Why should employers that pay low wages be subsidized by their worker's parents or the government (Wall-Mart help employees apply for welfare for instance)?

Because no sustainable business model is designed around the needs of the workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 12:07 PM

1,259 posts, read 829,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
One, your employer is not your mommy. It isn't your employer's responsibility to make sure you eat your veggies and get tucked into a nice warm bed at night. It's a job. You're paid a certain amount of money to perform a certain set of actions. That's all there is to it. The constant neverending whining from the left wing about how employers need to pay people a "living" wage for every single job under the sun reveals a deeply flawed understanding of economics.
You don't simply apply economic laws to people. If we had, we would be killing off all retires as they no longer contribute while using our resources. Economics would also force us to kill all the disabled as they do not contribute to the economy as much as they take. Economically, retirees nor the disabled serve no purpose. Applying economic laws to people is absurd and immoral. I know that's not Econ 101 but you should go beyond the basics, especially with respect to macroeconomics.

Don't forget, we're talking about human beings who after spending 8 hrs in a hot kitchen should receive a pay allowing them to sleep in their own bed and not go hungry.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:08 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,141,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
Because no sustainable business model is designed around the needs of the workers.
Yet a business that totally ignores the needs of workers is not sustainable.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:10 PM

1,259 posts, read 829,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
That's true, but no business should operate to the detriment of society. We don't allow businesses to indiscriminately poison the environment and we shouldn't allow them to pay substandard wages, forcing the society to pick up the tab and support said employees with taxpayers money.
Why don't you try to survive on a $1,200 / month budget?

Old 09-04-2014, 12:14 PM

5,661 posts, read 5,091,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Should burger flippers determine what you should be paid and are they qualified to do so?
If they are able to do my job, then they can estimate what the job would be worth. I am quite capable of flipping burgers and can do their job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You're worth whatever the market can bear. And when it comes to burger flippers, none of us know what that number is.
But we sure know what it isn't!

Old 09-04-2014, 12:14 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,446,906 times
In solidarity with McDonalds, I tried their Jalapeno McDouble. OMG it was good! McDs prepares it with 2 beef patties, white cheddar cheese, sliced pickled jalapenos, and crispy fried jalapenos with ranch dressing. The crispy jalapenos provide a satisfyingly crunchy mouth feel.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:15 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by random_thoughts View Post
That's true, but no business should operate to the detriment of society. We don't allow businesses to indiscriminately poison the environment and we shouldn't allow them to pay substandard wages, forcing the society to pick up the tab and support said employees with taxpayers money.
Why don't you try to survive on a $1,200 / month budget?
Why?

Its a simple question, but why should we mandate a minimum payment to workers? If Walmart wants to pay 1 dollar an hour to folks at their store, then let the consumer decide if they want to do that. If no one can live on that amount of money, then let them try and find workers. If someone is willing to work for that low of an amount of money, then let them.

It is not the federal governments job to make sure that everyone is treated well.

There will always be haves, and have nots, in a capitalistic society like we have. Right now, we have simply outsourced those 1 dollar an hour jobs to other countries. Out of sight, out of mind. It doesn't matter to me if its a Chinese worker, or an American worker.

I shop based on my budget and needs, not the budget and needs of the employees where I shop.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:16 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,759,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
Even worse, before we enslaved the entire American people on the Rothschild Plantation (1913 Income Tax Act and 16th Abortion to the Constitution), the original dollar was equal to 1/20th oz of gold...

How much gold do you think you can buy with a dollar today? LOL,..or more properly tears...

That is how much the Shylocks have taken from the American people since we sold ourselves into slavery...
Yup but here we are, watching people argue about a system that doesn't work. Its like watching dirt poor kids trying to play football with a totally flat ball. If i just can kick it hard enough it will work the poor kid thinks. Sleepwalkers.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:17 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by random_thoughts View Post
Which means that many people still have to work in fast food and in the meantime pay their rent, gas, medical, food out of a $1,200 pay checks. Sure, darling.
No matter what right wing propaganda tells you unskilled/low skilled jobs are not going away. Society doesn't only need doctors and lawyers, it needs low skilled labor as well and expecting these people to survive on $1,200 is both ridiculous and inhumane.

It is propaganda as unions haven't changed much in the past 100 years, the unions became less relevant as American middle class got decimated when American manufacturing jobs were sent abroad and union membership decreased as a result.
The unions built American middle class by winning benefits and better pay for the workers everywhere.
The fall of the unions is nothing to applaud as it coincides with the fall of American middle class.
Darling, you are not talking to a right-winger. You are talking to a hard-core liberal. I don't indulge in right-wing propaganda. Unions have changed a lot in the past 100 years. And unions played a role in driving American manufacturing jobs abroad. I'm not anti-union at all. But I think there are many problems when unions become big business, and pretending otherwise doesn't serve anyone.

The fact that people have to struggle to "survive on $1,200" is an incentive for people to acquire the skills and experience to make more than minimum wage. Unlike people on the right, I believe minimum wage is a good thing. Unlike you, I think a strike for a 100% pay hike is unreasonable. Asking an employer to double his labor costs is unreasonable. So I wonder what the real agenda is in this case. The SEIU's involvement, to me, suggests that this strike, this movement, is all about UNION propaganda designed because the UNION is fighting for its own survival. This strike isn't about actually getting fast-food places to pay employees $15/hr. It's about unionizing fast-food workers. That may improve the working situation for fast-food workers, marginally. It sure will improve SEIU's bank account. And the bank accounts for all the people that work for the SEIU. But in the long haul, you are still talking about unskilled labor, in an industry that has a tremendous amount of labor turnover, in an industry that has a lot of part-time workers. It's a very fluid work force, and how much of the weekly paycheck is the SEIU expecting to take?

Old 09-04-2014, 12:18 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,744,135 times
I would think that forcing businesses to find a cheaper alternative, like automation, to arbitrarily inflated wages would be more detrimental to those who at least have some sort of income coming in. Like someone pointed out earlier, forty hours times eight dollars is a whole lot more than zero hours times fifteen an hour.

Don't get me wrong, it would be lovely if everyone could make a fistfull of loot for whatever job they performed, however that is not reality and never will be. Everyone wants to make "enough" even though there is no such amount. Workers will never make more than what they are worth in a competitive marketplace. (and if they did, the business would fail soon after)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies