Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2014, 10:00 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,062,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
We will continue to pay for them, no matter whether the minimum wage is raised. This is because they will be making the minimum wage, and once the market adjusts to the new standards they will still be comparatively poor. Instead of needing assistance while making $7 an hour, they will need assistance making $10 an hour, $20 an hour, or whatever the new minimum wage is. This is based on historical fact, in that raising the minimum wage has NEVER resulted in minimum wage earners becoming better off in the long term.

Tell you what, I'll support raising the minimum wage to whatever you want it raised to, but only if you get it written into the new law that anyone who is employed becomes immediately ineligible for welfare assistance. Deal?

Only if it's a livable wage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 10:24 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Quote:
We will continue to pay for them, no matter whether the minimum wage is raised. This is because they will be making the minimum wage, and once the market adjusts to the new standards they will still be comparatively poor. Instead of needing assistance while making $7 an hour, they will need assistance making $10 an hour, $20 an hour, or whatever the new minimum wage is. This is based on historical fact, in that raising the minimum wage has NEVER resulted in minimum wage earners becoming better off in the long term.

Tell you what, I'll support raising the minimum wage to whatever you want it raised to, but only if you get it written into the new law that anyone who is employed becomes immediately ineligible for welfare assistance. Deal?
THIS! The problem is not everyone who is employed has the ability to be self-sufficient, why because the minimum wage has NOT kept up with the cost of living and in fact, people making minimum wage who are singles cannot afford the basic essentials for themselves without any form of welfare.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:35 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,711,121 times
Quote:
[/b]

Fine with me, but you only get one shot at setting the number. Make it good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
THIS! The problem is not everyone who is employed has the ability to be self-sufficient, why because the minimum wage has NOT kept up with the cost of living and in fact, people making minimum wage who are singles cannot afford the basic essentials for themselves without any form of welfare.
Single, married, kids, I don't care. Set the minimum wage wherever you want it, but if someone is employed they do not get welfare assistance.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:53 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
I have no idea at all to be honest, I cannot even think of the reason why this was the case unless it was that the states believed in the kids more so than single individuals which is entirely the case with welfare.

Congress mandated that states cover parents of dependent children; state Medicaid programs are subsidized (the states pay approx half the cost). Congress shrugged when it came to childless non-disabled adults; states were free to cover them with their own dollars (no federal subsidy).

Only a few states were willing to put up their own dollars to cover childless poor adults.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:59 PM

Quote:

Single, married, kids, I don't care. Set the minimum wage wherever you want it, but if someone is employed they do not get welfare assistance.
For the life of me, I can not understand why you would be on the side of these million dollar corporations. They are laughing all the way to the bank with the backing of people like you.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:05 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:

That won't work if we set it at say $15 (which is what pushed for) and the cost of living exceeds $15/hour at some point, then they would infact need welfare assistance or they would die. For whatever is done with minimum wage, it needs to be chained to inflation. That way we don't have to set some arbitrary number like congress has done time and time again and within a year or two is already obsolete and pays lower than the cost of living and would require to need welfare to actually get by. What part of the fact that minimum wage earners who are single without children, single with children, married with no children or married with children requires welfare assistance or they would in all likelihood die, do you not understand?

Old 09-14-2014, 11:33 PM

Quote:
For the life of me, I can not understand why you would be on the side of these million dollar corporations. They are laughing all the way to the bank with the backing of people like you.
I'm not on the side of corporations, I'm on the side of common sense. Raising minimum wage does NOTHING to help the working poor. It never has, and it never will because the minimum wage is the lowest amount you can legally be paid. If you make
$12 an hour and it's mandated that I have to make
$10 an hour, you will be able to afford more than me. This is basic economics.

Quote:
That won't work if we set it at say $15 (which is what pushed for) and the cost of living exceeds $15/hour at some point, then they would infact need welfare assistance or they would die. For whatever is done with minimum wage, it needs to be chained to inflation. That way we don't have to set some arbitrary number like congress has done time and time again and within a year or two is already obsolete and pays lower than the cost of living and would require to need welfare to actually get by. What part of the fact that minimum wage earners who are single without children, single with children, married with no children or married with children requires welfare assistance or they would in all likelihood die, do you not understand?
Brilliant, let's make sure that we end up in a perpetual loop of rising wages and costs.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:42 PM

Quote:
I'm not on the side of corporations, I'm on the side of common sense. Raising minimum wage does NOTHING to help the working poor. It never has, and it never will because the minimum wage is the lowest amount you can legally be paid. If you make
$12 an hour and it's mandated that I have to make
$10 an hour, you will be able to afford more than me. This is basic economics.

Brilliant, let's make sure that we end up in a perpetual loop of rising wages and costs.
What do you mean never has.....I lived on minimum wage when I was young. I had my own studio apartment. You can't do that now.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:46 PM

Quote:
What do you mean never has.....I lived on minimum wage when I was young. I had my own studio apartment. You can't do that now.
Yes you can. Here in Jacksonville there are studio apartments for $250-$300 a month, easily affordable on minimum wage. Granted, it's a terrible area of town, but it's close to public transportation lines.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Yes you can. Here in Jacksonville there are studio apartments for $250-$300 a month, easily affordable on minimum wage. Granted, it's a terrible area of town, but it's close to public transportation lines.
But that is jacksonville. If you live in the dc area it's very different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies