Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2014, 03:09 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_thoughts View Post
Nope. That's kindergarten economics. Raising wages ACROSS THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY as the minimum wage increase would, does not decrease the number of employees, businesses need workers to keep up sales and most consumers wouldn't even notice 50-80 cents increase in the price of a Big Mac or another culinary abomination. You're mistaken as you apply economic laws in a very simplistic way.
The cost of a Big Mac in the US is $4.80
The cost of a Big Mac in Norway is $8.00. McDonald's workers in Norway make $16/hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 03:11 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,141,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The cost of a Big Mac in Norway is $8.00. McDonald's workers in Norway make $16/hour.
Interesting.... Wonder if their workers can make change without a computer? (power went off the other day while at a fast food restaurant and the deer-in-the-headlights look about giving me my change so I could leave was astounding!)

Old 09-05-2014, 03:11 PM

1,259 posts, read 828,422 times
Quote:
You forget that everything in Norway cost more so the higher price of Big Mac there is not just a result of higher minimum wages.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:13 PM

1,259 posts, read 828,422 times
I bet it made you feel so much better than this poor kid behind the register. Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Interesting.... Wonder if their workers can make change without a computer? (power went off the other day while at a fast food restaurant and the deer-in-the-headlights look about giving me my change so I could leave was astounding!)

Old 09-05-2014, 03:14 PM

39,223 posts, read 27,589,701 times
Quote:

Yup. That's Economics 101 but you shouldn't have stopped there. There are more advanced courses on economics out there.
I have an art degree & a business degree. But I will be the FIRST to admit that what I learned is not what I have experienced in real life. and I pretty much forgot what I have learned when I was in college. and this is a good thing.

What I've seen is increasing minimum wage kills jobs. I can only speak for myself. ALL the retailers have cut employees' hours. I've seen minimum wage earner lost their jobs on daily basis. This is reality.

I would argue that the minimum wage is a major anti-jobs policy. Raising the minimum wage raises the hurdle a worker must cross to justify being hired.

When you raise the price of anything, people take less of it, including labor. The unemployment rate for teens remains unacceptably high. Workers of all ages that are relatively unskilled are adversely impacted by this policy.

Common sense says that every dollar a minimum wage worker receives must have come out of somebody else’s pocket, either small business owners or their customers. The money for a higher minimum wage does not come from thin air.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
You forget that everything in Norway cost more so the higher price of Big Mac there is not just a result of higher minimum wages.
LOLOLOL.... Give it up HappyTexan.... you just can't argue with that reasoning....... I'm guessing then that if we raise our minimum's we're supposed to raise our prices so the cost of living will be higher.... Oh wait.... isn't that what you were trying to say anyway? LOLOL

Old 09-05-2014, 03:15 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Quote:
You're 100% right about everything you posted but don't expect some retired old-farts who want to protect their fixed incomes and get everything for a nickel, to side with you here. They don't care, they are out of the work force themselves, some used to have well-paying union jobs but now they only want to cut out coupons and buy everything for 99c which of course requires cheap labor. That's the real deal about our "conservatives" here. They're simply cheapskates.
That is funny. My dad is 76 years old and would never work for a Union. Most of his friends are the same. Yes he is retired and yes he watches his income. Most Conservatives have the beliefe that they do not want the Government in their business. Big Government is bad. It cost too much. I would venture to guess that most of the nation feels this way. The Liberal Establishment has one big thing going for it, that is the fact that the Republican Establishment is not as Conservative as everyone thinks. People have no problem voting for a liberal because man within the Grand Old Party are RINO's anyway.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:15 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
So giving everyone a 187% raise wouldn't impact every single business in the US ?

Going from $8 to $15 is a 187% raise.

Boy do you need some lessons in economics.
This is where we can determine the true motive here. It's not to get more money for those at the bottom of the pay scale. I believe one could make a sane rational debate for raising the minimum wage if that was the desire. The problem is for too many the politics of the day will not allow them to do it.

You do always shoot high and settle for a little less in a negotiation, but starting at $15 just makes people outright dismiss you.

To make the argument you have to admit that the cost of living has outstripped the current minimum wage but the government is currently arguing that inflation is near zero. To make a sane rational argument you would have to take on the government and far too many are unwilling to do that right now.

Even then the real problem is the governments monetary policy that is exclusively benefiting the top 10%. Again, though, right now that topic is untouchable for many.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
I bet it made you feel so much better than this poor kid behind the register. Lol
Actually no... I needed my change. The drawer was open, he had my 20.00 in his hand..boom power outage... but couldn't figure out how to count out my change without looking at the computer screen. So like a brain surgeon, he put my 20 in the drawer and slammed the cash drawer shut... with my 20 in it....

Old 09-05-2014, 03:17 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
That is funny. My dad is 76 years old and would never work for a Union. Most of his friends are the same. Yes he is retired and yes he watches his income. Most Conservatives have the beliefe that they do not want the Government in their business.
Except when it comes to bailing out their 401k's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies