Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2014, 02:31 PM

1,259 posts, read 829,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Wee need solutions to get them into higher paying jobs instead of making lower paying jobs pay more.
Why do you assume that THERE ARE HIGHER PAYING jobs waiting for them? Face the reality, old timer, the society needs doctors and engineers as much as it needs burger flippers and janitors. Neither should be homeless or starving after 40 hours of work. That's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 02:34 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,145,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by random_thoughts View Post
I am afraid that you can't even fathom what it means to be a young person today.
Why don't you simply admit that your opinions are based on experiences from 50 years ago and may be totally inapplicable today as the economy and labor market changed quite a few times in between.

Leave making opinions to those who still have to make a living in 2014 and know the reality first hand.

Oh so if your middle-aged you don't need to make a living in 2014?

There are a LOT of us who may not be "young", but we're not so old and senile that we can't remember what it was like to be young with interest rates at 13.5%, inflation running rampant, and unemployment higher than what it is now. Give me a break.....

Old 09-05-2014, 02:35 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,273,568 times
So far, I have not seen a single post that adequately explains how the increase in minimum wage would help low-skill workers, and NOT increase costs, in the long term.

All logic and economic reports say that increased labor costs lead to increase in cost of goods or services rendered.

Why do people think that this would be any different?

And, believe it or not, comments like "But big corporations need to be less greedy!" don't help.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:37 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,273,568 times
Quote:
Why do you assume that THERE ARE HIGHER PAYING jobs waiting for them? Face the reality, old timer, the society needs doctors and engineers as much as it needs burger flippers and janitors. Neither should be homeless or starving after 40 hours of work. That's all.
You can often tell the person who is worried that they are on the loosing end of a debate, because they always need to resort to insults...

Old 09-05-2014, 02:37 PM

What you don't get is that your experiences back then could not be replicated today, the world has changed, the economy changed and most importantly, the labor market changed. Working for the same company for 20 years people often don't realize these changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Oh so if your middle-aged you don't need to make a living in 2014?

There are a LOT of us who may not be "young", but we're not so old and senile that we can't remember what it was like to be young with interest rates at 13.5%, inflation running rampant, and unemployment higher than what it is now. Give me a break.....

Old 09-05-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
You can often tell the person who is worried that they are on the loosing end of a debate, because they always need to resort to insults...

I am sorry, so now "old-timer" is an insult??? Lol

Old 09-05-2014, 02:39 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
It was the modus operandi in the other minimum wage thread also.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:41 PM

39,231 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
So far, I have not seen a single post that adequately explains how the increase in minimum wage would help low-skill workers, and NOT increase costs, in the long term.

All logic and economic reports say that increased labor costs lead to increase in cost of goods or services rendered.

And, believe it or not, comments like "But big corporations need to be less greedy!" don't help.
Good question.

I am a business owner, just to be fair, the only benefits I can see about increasing minimum wage is that a stronger minimum wage will help restore the consumer spending that powers our economy and that local businesses need in order to grow. A robust minimum wage is a key building block of sustainable economic recovery.

What I found interesting is that minimum wage earners are no longer teenagers, they are mostly single mothers or women and men who are in their mid 20 - early 30s. I don't believe raising minimum wage would reduce poverty.

There is always a fantasy world and a reality world. A major reason why the minimum wage is such an ineffective anti-poverty tool is that minimum-wage hikes cause businesses to reduce the number of workers they hire and the hours they ask their employees to work.

All the chain stores in my shopping mall have cut hours for their minimum wage employees. I have ten people working in one of our retail stores. None of them are full time employee. I pay them with minimum wage + commission. This works pretty well for our businesses.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:42 PM

You might be blind as many posters have already explained in detail that the increase in wages would allow fast food workers to

1). Afford basic housing and food

2) Get off public assistance for which they qualify today

It would increase the cost to the employer and in turn the consumer but decrease the cost to the tax-payer.

Quote:

Old 09-05-2014, 02:43 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,145,129 times
Quote:
What you don't get is that your experiences back then could not be replicated today, the world has changed, the economy changed and most importantly, the labor market changed. Working for the same company for 20 years people often don't realize these changes.
Darlin.... you are not telling me anything that I haven't seen with my own two eyes. So how is my "experiences back then (back when dinosaur's roamed the earth?) any different from yours. Did I quit experiencing everything when I hit 30? 40? 50? NO! I was experiencing more about how the world works while you most probably were still peeing in your Pampers. The fact is... yes.. it's rough for you kids. But it wasn't all rainbows and sunshine for us either. We're still out here fighting for jobs and worrying about the economy. The world doesn't revolve around you and your generation alone.. and the sooner you learn that the better. We are ALL in this together...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies