Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 10:35 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,687,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Not ALL...
Just the ones who want to wallow in their own self pity to claim victim hood, rather than fight back and, work hard to make something of themselves.

Old 09-09-2014, 02:36 PM

33,582 posts, read 18,188,329 times
It is a put down when a black person says they are acting too white.. too white? As if white people have a copyright on talking correct English. I have heard many blacks talk very good english, superior brains, and very refined. No color has a limit of who they are and how they present themselves... Black people are no different than any other color.. and to say they have to act black.. so what is black?.. stupid, unrefined... no I don't buy into that at all. Some blacks better realize that many black people are gifted passed to what they say is white acting.

Old 09-09-2014, 02:56 PM

19,854 posts, read 12,122,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The school bus tape did not show an attack on the bus.

No one seems to know who the attacker is, despite the claim that taunting had been going on for a year.

Something about this story does not ring true. It could be the reporting.
The story states it happened OFF the bus.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:02 PM

73,067 posts, read 62,680,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
There's a video that I can't find right now (it's explicit in language, but gets the point across) that explains who dumb it is to have this mentality. When someone tells me "I act or sound white" it sounds dumb to me and gets dumber every time I hear it.

Anytime a black person calls another black person "white", I always want to ask them... do you know what that even means? Seriously, you have to ask that question.

I'm black but by these dumbass kids standards, I "act white", whatever that means. It's more a sad commentary on what's going on with our community that any one who speaks "proper" English, doesn't go to prison, goes to class and work are only traits of a white person.
And there is an even sadder irony to this. The whole "acting White" thing, has roots in places few people think about. Essentially, a Black person being derided as "acting White" refers to speaking proper English and getting a good education. That sad mentality has alot of "redneck culture" in it. "Ghetto culture" is essentially "redneck culture" mixed with inner city elements. The whole "acting White" insult found in the ghetto culture existed with the underclass White population in the South and in Appalachia. There is a corollary of "acting White" that can be found in Appalachia. It's called "gettin' above your raisin' ". Basically, a form of anti-intellectualism.

I've always said ghetto culture and redneck culture are pretty much the same.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:07 PM

I'm Black myself. I remember as a kid I loved reading books. Not novels, but stuff about science and geography. I was considered "the smart kid". I got picked on alot, mainly by White kids. Alot of kids who ragged on me for being into reading and stuff like that were White kids. As the Black population increased, I started getting problems from some of the Black kids as well. I caught crap from both Blacks and Whites.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_thoughts View Post
Because as we all know all whites come to school on time and pay attention. Lol
Sarcasm aside, where I went to high school, I remember many White kids who frequently took school as a joke. Some of them flat out admitted they didn't care about their grades. I particularly remember hearing these things in the 6th grade. I couldn't understand why kids wouldn't care about their grades. I know I did. I knew if I ever came home with bad grades, no television, no going outside, basically, a loss of so many privileges. But I remember hearing from a few kids, all of them White, admitting they didn't care about their grades. One kid got grounded until the next report card for his bad grades. His reaction to it was very nonchalant. It was like he found it funny. I had to wonder why he thought like that.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:31 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,920,863 times
Yeah, here it is.

And again, WARNING: LANGUAGE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyYG81MN8jE

Old 09-09-2014, 05:32 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,178,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
Acting all white by going to school on time and paying attention and stuff.

.. and having lighter skin than the thugget who beat her.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:43 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,917,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A 16-year-old high school girl in Rock Hill, S.C. told police that another high school girl taunted her on a school bus and then beat her up after she got off the bus. The assailant allegedly was angry at the victim because she was behaving “too much like a white person.”

http://news.yahoo.com/high-school-gi...035032786.html
I just hope that hood rat who hurt that girl gets the book thrown at her. Their kind are NO better than the KKK where decent Black people who take care of business are concerned.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:47 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,917,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
The saying fits, misery loves company. Kids who goofed off, got poor grades, and played the school clown needed as many other people to sink to their level as possible. Anyone who stood out and got good grades, participated in class, they had to beat into submission, if they refuse to join the ranks of the tough guys who were too cool for school.
Agreed and HOW!

Too; many kids on the edge who can go either way in life WILL go down if their "parents" don't take care of business as in SET a proper example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies