Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 07:52 AM

671 posts, read 690,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
We all know my POV - just read the foreign policy platform of the Libertarian Party
"We support the maintenance of a sufficient military to defend the United States against aggression. The United States should both avoid entangling alliances and abandon its attempts to act as policeman for the world. We oppose any form of compulsory national service."

Mine are:

Quagmire - America in the Middle East
Sandstorm: Policy Future in the Middle East
Both written by Leon Hardar

The Empire has no clothes - U.S. Foreign Policy Exposed
Written by Ivan Eland

Imperial Hubris: Why the West is Losing the War on Terror
Written by Michael Scheuer

The Sorrows of Empire: Militarism, Secrecy & the End of the Republic
Written by Chalmers Johnson

Of course everyone reads parts of Blowback the costs & Consequence of American
Empire (Empire Project) by Johnson - a given. He's got a 2nd edition that goes
more into post 911.

I haven't recently read anything on ISIS as I just heard about them
as the new boogie man, along with everyone else..

Thanks! It does help to know what other sources are out there- I'll add them to my list, which includes many on Islam and terrorism. Not specifically ISIS yet.

As illustrated by the recent dialogue here on this thread, resources ARE important...you have to wonder about the author, their motivation, background funding, etc. Opinions abound...I'm trying to source out fact and truth, if that's possible!

Again, thanks for posting your list!

Dandiday

Old 09-14-2014, 09:37 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times
Politico started a new feature last year called Politico Magazine. They have more in-depth articles on events and people. Very worthwhile read most of the time.

I regularly read Mid-East News from most English language sources in the region - it's worth noting that the Journalists that read/speak/understand Arabic tend to always have the most comprehensive information. Some of them lean right, some lean left - but you have to know Arabic to really know what's going on. It's the only way to understand the 'news' that is being presented to the people that live in the area and who the 'players' are. It's important to understand that the "crisis" today didn't just suddenly happen - it's been 3 years in the making. ISIS/ISIL was not a "surprise" to any of the Washington bunch - the Administration, the Military, the State Department, the CIA ..... all of them were aware of what was happening. Don't believe any of them when they try to pull the "We didn't KNOW" fairy tale. They Knew, they just "hoped" it would all go away miraculously. It didn't and it won't.

This is a really good article that was in Political Magazine on January 2, 2014 about the situation in Syria and the rise of ISIS/ISIL. It's 5 pages long, but easy to read with a lot of other links to the information in the article. I re-read it from time to time to re-fresh my memory on "who the players are".

The Unraveling
How Obama’s Syria policy fell apart.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:12 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triple8s View Post
Not a priority. He's has taken the lead and spent the past week in the WH pacifying angry pro-illegal organizations and promising them that he will meet their demands after the election. It's a time issue here. ISIS will be around for a while and when you lead from behind, what's the rush???
When does an American President think like this......to me this would be Anti-American thinking!

Old 09-16-2014, 08:18 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
I still don't follow how we will determine which terrorists to arm in Syria. Perhaps we should do what we did way back with Iran and Iraq war .... sell arms to both sides and let them fight it out.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:28 AM

Default Excellent resources

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Politico started a new feature last year called Politico Magazine. They have more in-depth articles on events and people. Very worthwhile read most of the time.

I regularly read Mid-East News from most English language sources in the region - it's worth noting that the Journalists that read/speak/understand Arabic tend to always have the most comprehensive information. Some of them lean right, some lean left - but you have to know Arabic to really know what's going on. It's the only way to understand the 'news' that is being presented to the people that live in the area and who the 'players' are. It's important to understand that the "crisis" today didn't just suddenly happen - it's been 3 years in the making. ISIS/ISIL was not a "surprise" to any of the Washington bunch - the Administration, the Military, the State Department, the CIA ..... all of them were aware of what was happening. Don't believe any of them when they try to pull the "We didn't KNOW" fairy tale. They Knew, they just "hoped" it would all go away miraculously. It didn't and it won't.

This is a really good article that was in Political Magazine on January 2, 2014 about the situation in Syria and the rise of ISIS/ISIL. It's 5 pages long, but easy to read with a lot of other links to the information in the article. I re-read it from time to time to re-fresh my memory on "who the players are".

The Unraveling
How Obama’s Syria policy fell apart.

Excellent resources, Kibby! I've started to read them...very factual and informative. These may open some eyes here on this thread.

It certainly is vital to note that this has been rising over the last 3 years...and the admin just sat on it, for the most part. I'm dismayed that the Potus fund-raised and golfed away...similar to Nero whilst Rome was burning...oh my gosh...

Also, the convoluted involvement by Syria is quite a mess...we're in a precarious position of supporting Assad if we go ahead with bombing certain factions.

I'm also very concerned if we do this without support from other UN countries...again, we'll suffer the deaths and the costs...

What a huge mess...

Dandiday

Old 09-16-2014, 03:02 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
One US General said that the "advisors" can accompany the iraqi troops into battle and provide "close combat advice" .
The WH of course is playing it down saying that was purely hypothetical.

The US plans to destroy them with bombs from the air and "words" from the ground.

US general says 'advisors' could join Iraqi fight

Old 09-17-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
One US General said that the "advisors" can accompany the iraqi troops into battle and provide "close combat advice" .
The WH of course is playing it down saying that was purely hypothetical.

The US plans to destroy them with bombs from the air and "words" from the ground.

US general says 'advisors' could join Iraqi fight
"One General" ...... just happens to be General Martin Dempsey, who is Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff - but he is not the only General or retired General that has said that an Air Campaign in an Urban area has to have "close ground air support".

In Washington, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel told US lawmakers that plans were being laid to hit targets in Syria, where the IS group is holding Western hostages and has a stronghold in the city of Raqa.

"This plan includes targeted actions against ISIL safe havens in Syria, including its command and control, logistics capabilities, and infrastructure," Hagel told the Senate Armed Services Committee.

The Air Strikes so far have been in areas over smaller Villages and to disrupt convoys in rural areas. The "Military Advisors" (who never wear boots) are in Green Zone compounds in Baghdad & Erbil. There main function has been to protect the American Embassies. Last night was the first raid outside of that protection zone.

IF .... and I do stress the IF ..... Team Obama goes forward (as Hagel says) and goes after ISIS/ISIL central command centers and headquarters - then that means bombing Mosul in Iraq AND Raqqa in Syria. I don't believe there is ANY General that believes that can be done with out 'close air support' on the ground.

It's always interesting to actually watch any hearing that has a General testifying - they will try to avoid some answers to questions, but they won't LIE to Congress the way that Administration people will. The White House is doing more than just "playing it down" -- they are saying it won't happen.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:21 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
"One General" ...... just happens to be General Martin Dempsey, who is Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff - but he is not the only General or retired General that has said that an Air Campaign in an Urban area has to have "close ground air support".

In Washington, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel told US lawmakers that plans were being laid to hit targets in Syria, where the IS group is holding Western hostages and has a stronghold in the city of Raqa.

"This plan includes targeted actions against ISIL safe havens in Syria, including its command and control, logistics capabilities, and infrastructure," Hagel told the Senate Armed Services Committee.

The Air Strikes so far have been in areas over smaller Villages and to disrupt convoys in rural areas. The "Military Advisors" (who never wear boots) are in Green Zone compounds in Baghdad & Erbil. There main function has been to protect the American Embassies. Last night was the first raid outside of that protection zone.

IF .... and I do stress the IF ..... Team Obama goes forward (as Hagel says) and goes after ISIS/ISIL central command centers and headquarters - then that means bombing Mosul in Iraq AND Raqqa in Syria. I don't believe there is ANY General that believes that can be done with out 'close air support' on the ground.

It's always interesting to actually watch any hearing that has a General testifying - they will try to avoid some answers to questions, but they won't LIE to Congress the way that Administration people will. The White House is doing more than just "playing it down" -- they are saying it won't happen.
I find this whole announce our plan on tv strange! Why are they saying, if plan 'A' doesn't work try plan 'B'.

I am sure George Washington is looking down and asking where are the MEN.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I find this whole announce our plan on tv strange! Why are they saying, if plan 'A' doesn't work try plan 'B'.

I am sure George Washington is looking down and asking where are the MEN.
The short answer to the "announce on TV" question is ..... Obama gave a Prime Time Address to the Nation one week ago to "announce his Strategy" and make all kinds of vague threats, with a lot of Chest Thumping thrown in for good measure. He made the speech because of his earlier interviews calling ISIL "jv", and calling the Free Syrian Army "a fantasy". He then said he had no "Strategy for ISIL" in a Press conference and then his next presser claimed that ISIL could be "managed".

He just can't shut up. Every time he goes in front of a camera, it get's worse. He goes in front of the cameras because he thinks it will help his falling poll numbers on "leadership" & "foreign policy".

Now the Congress has to vote on money for Team Obama's new "war" on ISIL. There is an argument about his authority to start a new war on ISIL (which did not even exist when the 2001 authorization was passed to go after the terrorists who attacked the USA on 9/11/01) and a variety of House and Senate committees are holding hearings, to try and find out what is going on.

I knew the "boots on the ground" would be a big headline ...... they have turned that phrase into the boogey-man of the Decade - but that was not even the most interesting thing to come out of the hearing yesterday.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:55 AM

Default Adding to this....

Quote:

True! Might I add to this, that the Generals who are supporting action other than just air strikes, as well as "boots on the ground", have so much more intel and strategy that occurs behind the scenes. We have no idea what's behind their decisions. They know, in general, what will usually "work" and what won't when tasked with analyzing how to confront a threat or enemy.

Additionally, there was a WSJ article the other day that addressed the "boots on the ground" controversy. The author pointed out that in Vietnam and Korea, as well as in Iraq, there are lessons to be learned as far as knowing the tactics of the enemy. ( In part, that was the reason for Bush's successful "surge" in Iraq.)

The article pointed out that air strikes alone would be a relative waste of time, as ISIL buries itself underground, or amidst the general population. One has to fight them with their own tactics, basically.

So, if we are indeed, going to "eradicate ISIL", this is a tactic that MUST be considered - however unappealing it is to us. Whether it's a combo of special ops, snipers, soldiers, marines, etc. has yet to be determined.

Unfortunately, at the end of the day, all of this is about "power and money"...BOTH on our side (including Mr. "o" saving face as well as politicizing his actions) , and that of the interests of ISIL, the Saudis, Quatar, and any other terrorist faction that is arising.

How the h*ll do we reconcile or combat that???

Dandiday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies